HELP IS THIS NORMAL!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m so very sorry. You did everything you could. Your decision to take her in saved the mare. We all wished it could have saved the foal too. Praying for you and her. I know how much it hurts. Let me know if you need anything! 💔

Early on Shirley and I lost a mare and foal because the foal was to large to get out the birth cannel. I laid on the floor of the trailer holding Hanna while the vet attempted to saw the foal up in pieces. One of the sharp bones slit the cannel on the way out and I held her while she died. We were at the Vets house on a Sunday evening with Shirley and the vets wife watched. Hanna was sedated and they wanted me to get up and out of the trailer but I refused. The vet was an hour and a half away and the only one we could get to respond. He wanted to do an autopsy for his own information at no charge and we let him to dispose of Hanna at no charge. He was located in a heavy Amish area. It is still hard to recap. My thoughts and prayers are with you. We love these little buggers even before they are born.

I ended up taking her to the equine hospital baby was stuck they almost had to surgically remove her, was a beautiful filly born about 6 weeks to early. I’m heartbroken I can’t stop crying I’ve never had this happen im not a breeder it was just an accidental blessing and I’m so unbelievably sad. She’s staying there unti tomorrow on antibiotics and to make sure the placenta passes which hasn’t happened yet. Thank you everyone for your kind words and prayers I’m an emotional wreck.

Over the years we have had 4 foal born dead that I took to our local horse clinic to be pulled He told me that if after they start to foal and the foal is not out within a few minutes it will be dead.

ValerieS,

I'm so very sorry you lost your little filly, and am also grateful you were able to save your mare.

Even the best planned and most experienced breedings can go wrong.

Take your time to mourn. Try not to beat yourself up. It's hard, I know. It was 4 years this past December that I lost my JRT Lucky, and I still haven't really completely forgiven myself.

It will take time. We will be here for you, just let us know how we can help.

Julie in NC

P.S....Dickel, I sent you a pm.

Last edited:
Early on Shirley and I lost a mare and foal because the foal was to large to get out the birth cannel. I laid on the floor of the trailer holding Hanna while the vet attempted to saw the foal up in pieces. One of the sharp bones slit the cannel on the way out and I held her while she died. We were at the Vets house on a Sunday evening with Shirley and the vets wife watched. Hanna was sedated and they wanted me to get up and out of the trailer but I refused. The vet was an hour and a half away and the only one we could get to respond. He wanted to do an autopsy for his own information at no charge and we let him to dispose of Hanna at no charge. He was located in a heavy Amish area. It is still hard to recap. My thoughts and prayers are with you. We love these little buggers even before they are born.
Oh my gosh😭no words how absolutely awful I’m so sorry

ValerieS,

I'm so very sorry you lost your little filly, and am also grateful you were able to save your mare.

Even the best planned and most experienced breedings can go wrong.

Take your time to mourn. Try not to beat yourself up. It's hard, I know. It was 4 years this past December that I lost my JRT Lucky, and I still haven't really completely forgiven myself.

It will take time. We will be here for you, just let us know how we can help.

Julie in NC

P.S....Dickel, I sent you a pm.
Appreciate and I’m so so sorry I know that feeling all to well :(

Last edited:
Thank you so much everyone my heart goes out to all of you who mentioned a loss, absolutely heart wrenching and tragic🙏 I still can’t believe it’s all over just like that, so hard to come to terms with when we were so close :(
My mare is still at the equine hospital because her placenta has not passed. The doctor says while it’s not the norm it’s also not unheard of after a traumatic birth. She’s on massive antibiotics to make sure she doesn’t get an infection from the retaining of the placenta and her hooves are being iced round the clock to prevent an onset of laminitis from all this. They’ve been doing a uterine lavage several times a day and have her on Pitocin the rest is a waiting game I guess, stubborn placenta. I chose to have the filly cremated I felt so bad letting them just dispose of her when she was so perfect😥

Last edited:
How's your mare doing??
I just got back maybe 30 minutes ago from picking her up at the equine hospital. The placenta finally came out yesterday afternoon, today her Lavage was clear so she could come home at last. The techs were sweet gave her a spa day today at the hospital, bath, braided her mane and even had a farrier trim her hooves. I still tear up at least 10 times a day this is so hard and seeing her “skinny” again with no baby at her side broke my heart :( but I’m so happy she’s home and ok. I have to give her a Pitocin injection for 2 more days and antibiotics 5 more. Thank you Taz thanks everyone🙏38416A19-3F74-4EFC-AB71-F6553478E92A.jpeg

I have a mare I’d been posting about on another thread a few weeks ago, her possibly being pregnant, tested positive early on but i wasn’t convinced she held it, I really think she did now AND my other mare I’ve never talked about who tested negative early on and showed signs of heat the last 3 days yeah I’m convinced she is too😂before you all say “wishful” thinking since I did get super depressed over my recent loss and I’m probably out of my mind, ok maybe but I’m still thinking I’m right haha🤞hope everyone is doing well❤

Latest posts

Back