BOGO foal help!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeritageHollowFarm

Reaction score
We purchased an 8yo mini mare, and after purchase we learned she was pregnant. Pastured with a stud from 4/21/23 to 6/2/23, vet said based on ultrasound it was likely towards the beginning of that.

I've been watching her for the generic signs of udders filling, tail head loosening, however given that she's a maiden I know these can also be pretty hit or miss! Yesterday she seemed to be a little slab-sided and today you could see belly on each side from the front again.

Just wondering if more experienced eyes can see anything, or maybe give more pointers?

I've researched red bag deliveries, the different types of malpresentation/dystocia and how to fix each, and wrote it all in a quick reference book. I'm having a bit of paranoia preparation for all the worst case scenarios hoping I won't need it.

(We are addressing the rubbing/scratching issue she has going on back there.)

Attachments

• Picsart_24-01-25_21-00-59-081.jpg
    Picsart_24-01-25_21-00-59-081.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Picsart_24-01-25_21-01-58-626.jpg
    Picsart_24-01-25_21-01-58-626.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Picsart_24-01-25_21-02-39-918.jpg
    Picsart_24-01-25_21-02-39-918.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Picsart_24-01-25_21-03-04-720.jpg
    Picsart_24-01-25_21-03-04-720.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240125_222243760~2.jpg
    PXL_20240125_222243760~2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Everyone has their favorite way to tell when the mare is ready, I use the filling of the udders more than anything else. Others look for swelling and relaxation of their lady bits, milk ph, phase of the moon, or just watch them nonstop and look for hooves sticking out of their back end. It's pretty normal for belly shape to change frequently, but some people look for that. Also, that rubbing looks like mites to me. It's not real common in horses but if she was turned out with other animals she could have picked them up.
If it were me, I would tentatively set a due date based on the idea that she got bred within the first 5 days. Of course you have to remember that horses don't seem to care at all about their due date so it doesn't really mean much.

Everyone has their favorite way to tell when the mare is ready, I use the filling of the udders more than anything else. Others look for swelling and relaxation of their lady bits, milk ph, phase of the moon, or just watch them nonstop and look for hooves sticking out of their back end. It's pretty normal for belly shape to change frequently, but some people look for that. Also, that rubbing looks like mites to me. It's not real common in horses but if she was turned out with other animals she could have picked them up.
If it were me, I would tentatively set a due date based on the idea that she got bred within the first 5 days. Of course you have to remember that horses don't seem to care at all about their due date so it doesn't really mean much.
Thank you! We have been waiting all month on a pasture bred heifer as well. The 2 cows she came in with at my FILs farm, one has calved and one has all signs under the book except a winter storm 🤣 this one looks ready to explode but no milk and she's carrying high yet lol! Must be my luck.

I've turned to expressing the udder and checking for colour and pH change. That's been my 100% consistent winner so far. And as far as scratching their back end, my mares get such itchy bellies when they're well into their term, that could be what's going on with your little girl too.

I've turned to expressing the udder and checking for colour and pH change. That's been my 100% consistent winner so far. And as far as scratching their back end, my mares get such itchy bellies when they're well into their term, that could be what's going on with your little girl too.
Thank you! Do I need specific strips or can I purchase the pH strips used for aquariums?

We are treating for mites as we believe they may have come in on the straw. We had to start buying from a different farm and that's what we and our vet are thinking. I found another itch spot under her jaw too.

Attachments

• PXL_20240126_184605249.jpg
    PXL_20240126_184605249.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
We purchased an 8yo mini mare, and after purchase we learned she was pregnant. Pastured with a stud from 4/21/23 to 6/2/23, vet said based on ultrasound it was likely towards the beginning of that.

I've been watching her for the generic signs of udders filling, tail head loosening, however given that she's a maiden I know these can also be pretty hit or miss! Yesterday she seemed to be a little slab-sided and today you could see belly on each side from the front again.

Just wondering if more experienced eyes can see anything, or maybe give more pointers?

I've researched red bag deliveries, the different types of malpresentation/dystocia and how to fix each, and wrote it all in a quick reference book. I'm having a bit of paranoia preparation for all the worst case scenarios hoping I won't need it.

(We are addressing the rubbing/scratching issue she has going on back there.)
Also, I'm giving her 1.5 flakes of grassy hay AM/PM and 3/4c of Essential K once a day, is that enough? I don't want her to get overweight and have an issue foaling.

Poor thing. My stallion got mites from the sheep and I still itch thinking about it. It has to be horrible for them. Luckily it's fairly easy to clear up, but google says the itching can last for up to a month after they are all gone. You might want to consider bumping her grain up a little at this point. I'm not familiar with essential k, but the last few months are when they need the most.

Poor thing. My stallion got mites from the sheep and I still itch thinking about it. It has to be horrible for them. Luckily it's fairly easy to clear up, but google says the itching can last for up to a month after they are all gone. You might want to consider bumping her grain up a little at this point. I'm not familiar with essential k, but the last few months are when they need the most.
Thank you. She's currently in with just one ram, who is up for sale. Hopefully he will be moving this weekend. I don't know if it makes a difference but we raise Katahdin and Dorper so they're hair sheep, which probably makes it easier on mites

Attachments

• c487a09e-8625-5a40-a510-5a6baabccf5a.jpeg
    c487a09e-8625-5a40-a510-5a6baabccf5a.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 0
Hello! I am learning all I can to be prepared for my mare's delivery also! My girl is about 270 days so I still have awhile. Please keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back