Opinions needed please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, here’s one I just took she’s a maiden she doesn’t have a great udder yet but she’s had multiple fetal viability blood tests because of her placentitis so we know she has a baby in there. Should I still rely on udder for a maiden??

Unfortunately you cannot rely on an udder, even with seasoned mares. That’s what makes foalwatch so exhausting and hard, yet so rewarding. It’s a TON of work. But when you get that foal on the ground healthy it is ALL worth it. I do my best to monitor mine around the clock. I’ve seen mares do CRAZY things. Like not at all look ready and foal or look ready for ages before foaling. I monitor udder, ph, brix, lady bits (elongation and color), muscle tone, tail resistance, belly position, body language etc.

Unfortunately you cannot rely on an udder, even with seasoned mares. That’s what makes foalwatch so exhausting and hard, yet so rewarding. It’s a TON of work. But when you get that foal on the ground healthy it is ALL worth it. I do my best to monitor mine around the clock. I’ve seen mares do CRAZY things. Like not at all look ready and foal or look ready for ages before foaling. I monitor udder, ph, brix, lady bits (elongation and color), muscle tone, tail resistance, belly position, body language etc.
I didn’t sleep at all last night she layed down stood up over and over, rolled a lot, i just kept watching live view on my cam, i see what you mean🥴

My mare went into labor yesterday at about 3pm 303 at days, I didn’t feel it was time she had no signs no bagging really so I called my vet to please come, he was about an hour out, the white membrane appeared which made me happy to see that but then realizing within a few minutes it was a nose and one hoof, panic struck me so hard. I went to pucture the membrane with my finger to find it was thick like rubber there was literally no tearing it so my daughter ran for the scissors. Even after cutting it open it could barely be ripped was very strange but I reached in looking for the leg couldn’t find it and the baby is looking lifeless head out biting it’s tongue so i decided to pull down with each contraction, she came out and following her onto the ground was the entire placenta. Her front leg was stuck backward inside the membrane that would not rip and the umbilical cord was wrapped around her back legs and knotted so tight we could barely get our fingers under it and also leaving only about a foot of cord and why the placenta was ripped out with the baby. Baby was weak and looked a little premie but breathing well. My mare was confused and kept pushing even after the baby was out, trying to push her uterus out so we had to really keep her walking around until my vet showed up sedated her had to twist her misplaced uterus(not prolapsed tho!) flush her out and give her antibiotics and oxytocin. She didn’t have a drop of colostrum so he gave the baby plasma an antibiotic injection and fluids then I transported her to the equine hospital where she’s in neonatal intensive care but has survived the crucial first 24 hours almost. They remind me “I’m not out of the woods yet” but I’m more hopeful then last night. She had sepsis and is considered a preemie based on a knee X-rays showing only cartilage so she can’t stand on them yet, she weighs 20 lbs. She’s getting round the clock tube feedings, labs. 4 different antibiotics, glucose and more I’m sure. Thank you everyone for all the help throughout. Prayers always welcome🙏🏼

Attachments

• IMG_4364.jpeg
    IMG_4364.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My mare went into labor yesterday at about 3pm 303 at days, I didn’t feel it was time she had no signs no bagging really so I called my vet to please come, he was about an hour out, the white membrane appeared which made me happy to see that but then realizing within a few minutes it was a nose and one hoof, panic struck me so hard. I went to pucture the membrane with my finger to find it was thick like rubber there was literally no tearing it so my daughter ran for the scissors. Even after cutting it open it could barely be ripped was very strange but I reached in looking for the leg couldn’t find it and the baby is looking lifeless head out biting it’s tongue so i decided to pull down with each contraction, she came out and following her onto the ground was the entire placenta. Her front leg was stuck backward inside the membrane that would not rip and the umbilical cord was wrapped around her back legs and knotted so tight we could barely get our fingers under it and also leaving only about a foot of cord and why the placenta was ripped out with the baby. Baby was weak and looked a little premie but breathing well. My mare was confused and kept pushing even after the baby was out, trying to push her uterus out so we had to really keep her walking around until my vet showed up sedated her had to twist her misplaced uterus(not prolapsed tho!) flush her out and give her antibiotics and oxytocin. She didn’t have a drop of colostrum so he gave the baby plasma an antibiotic injection and fluids then I transported her to the equine hospital where she’s in neonatal intensive care but has survived the crucial first 24 hours almost. They remind me “I’m not out of the woods yet” but I’m more hopeful then last night. She had sepsis and is considered a preemie based on a knee X-rays showing only cartilage so she can’t stand on them yet, she weighs 20 lbs. She’s getting round the clock tube feedings, labs. 4 different antibiotics, glucose and more I’m sure. Thank you everyone for all the help throughout. Prayers always welcome🙏🏼
You definitely have my prayers. You’ve done all you can. And getting her to the vet asap is the best possible thing you can do.

Oh wow! How scary! So glad you were watching her and there to help out. I sure will keep yopu all in prayer. How is mom doing without baby or is she at hospital also?

Holy moly, I hope they are both ok this morning. I forgot that, my first experience with what I believe was placentitis was a mare just stocking up in her back legs. She was on smz for a while then went off. The vet thought it was nothing but I argued it was possibly scratches. I couldn't get the foal out of the bag, it was hard to cut with scissors. It took forever to cut through the umbilical cord. But the foal always looks like it's coming out dead. That part is normal.

Oh wow, you have to just be wrung out with worry and exhaustion. Will pray for you and your darlings. I think you're amazing to get through all of that.

I will keep positive energy coming your way and hope the baby does well.

Prayers 🙏 You were very wise to call your vet first thing. Your little mare and her foal are so fortunate you were home.

As Elizabeth stated, you have done absolutely all you can and in a very timely manner.

💕

Thank you for all the thoughts🙏🏼she’s such a fighter I’m a mess I’ve barely slept. My mare did not go with her she’s fine recovering well after quite a health scare with her as well. She’s a maiden and she did walk up to nuzzle her baby for a split second after birth but was very consumed by pain and her own medical trauma going own then sedated by my vet. By the time she came too we were gone with the baby. She doesn’t appear to remember having her does not seem distraught. She ended up bagging up yesterday broke my heart. Her IEG is low at 400 so they’re pushing more plasma and she was placed in a hyperberic chamber. Her bladder had not closed yet another sign of prematurity so she’s leaking urine out the umbilica but it can still close on its own or if not they can surgically do it when/if she gets stronger. I got this text about 30 minutes ago her name is not Quinn that’s her mom’s name we put her under because I’m afraid to name her until i know she’s going to live. I can not do the baby thing again I can’t handle loss well and this stress is terrible, I want her to make it so badly.

Attachments

• IMG_4367.jpeg
    IMG_4367.jpeg
    451.5 KB · Views: 0
I am so sorry for all that you and your mare and foal are going through at this time. Stress can be crushing and leave us feeling rotten in so many different ways. From where I sit, you have been a smart and capable fighter and made the best decisions possible along the way. Remember that! 💕

Prayers continue and thank you for the update. ❤️

I am so sorry for all that you and your mare and foal are going through at this time. Stress can be crushing and leave us feeling rotten in so many different ways. From where I sit, you have been a smart and capable fighter and made the best decisions possible along the way. Remember that! 💕

Prayers continue and thank you for the update. ❤️
Thank you so much❤️

Oh @BrookeB, you've been on my mind with this little one! Goodness, this one needs the name of a warrior. Is it a filly? Xena, Hathor, Isis or Kali? When it's time. Still sending lots of healing light and love. Very exciting to hear she's passed a pile! Ah, the things that make moms happy...

Latest posts

Back