HELP IS THIS NORMAL!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me it does. She’s hitting the stage where the foal is grown enough that she’s showing a lot. You’ll likely see much more growth now as she can’t hide it as well. That’s just my opinion though. If you are concerned, a vet call is never wrong.

But does this look normal for 208 days?

In years past have had as many as six mares pregnant at the same time that were pasture bread without a known due date. I have gone uot and found a new born that I was wondering if she was even in foal. I have others that I would have bet was going to have twins they were so big. Over the years I have only had one foal in a stall. Most are born in the pasture without any problems. When I fing them I put them in a shelter for a few weeks. I call the vet to come out and the vet is normally here in a couple hours. My worry meter is on low unless I see something strange. I do set with each horse when feeding on pasture where I do examine them. This is where I feed in the main pasture. I keep up to sis mares in this pasture and If I don't set with them, they will push to eat the others food. They each have their own dish and are made to stay at it. Four eat at the place in the picture and two in the shelter.

1644849717171.png

Last edited:
PittePatter has one that's looked bigger than that since Aug. Any chance she had an earlier date with the boy than you thought?
How far along was her mare in August do you know I’d be interested for sure? I actually did not mean to breed this mare it was accidental that she was exposed to my stallion I had an appt to geld one week later but I’m not mad babies are always beautiful. I unexpectedly caught them in the act on July 20 no question on the date.

Reactions: Taz
To me it does. She’s hitting the stage where the foal is grown enough that she’s showing a lot. You’ll likely see much more growth now as she can’t hide it as well. That’s just my opinion though. If you are concerned, a vet call is never wrong.
I always call my vet and talk to her lol she’s amazing but there’s not much she can do other then try to ultrasound from the outside as she doesn’t like internally with minis.

PittePatter has one that's looked bigger than that since Aug. Any chance she had an earlier date with the boy than you thought?
I just noticed Pitter Patter commented on this thread sorry I haven’t been around here long just getting to know everyone🥰 I did search and found that post but couldn’t find anywhere that said how far along her mare was, only difference tho is her mare was a brood mare mine is a maiden for sure I’ve had her since she was weaned she’s 11 now

I just noticed Pitter Patter commented on this thread sorry I haven’t been around here long just getting to know everyone🥰 I did search and found that post but couldn’t find anywhere that said how far along her mare was, only difference tho is her mare was a brood mare mine is a maiden for sure I’ve had her since she was weaned she’s 11 now
She's not sure on the breed date but I think it was early April, at least she said she was standing for him in early April, they live together. She hasn't foaled yet. Yes, she's a broodmare but was HUGE and has just gotten bigger through the winter. I have an experienced broodmare who doesn't show at all until right at the end. They can be all over the place, just more to make us lose our minds.

Hi anyone out there her udder tonight it’s much bigger! I’m nervous! Is that wax!!!

Attachments

• 09D64AFB-A409-406C-9358-95CA7B15BAA8.jpeg
    09D64AFB-A409-406C-9358-95CA7B15BAA8.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 8BA73D58-791C-4643-9E0C-70BB9DC7B982.jpeg
    8BA73D58-791C-4643-9E0C-70BB9DC7B982.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 10
  • D5F6DB8D-6871-4D6D-AA08-A1E37E6882CC.jpeg
    D5F6DB8D-6871-4D6D-AA08-A1E37E6882CC.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 5EACD0FE-218E-447A-BC2D-7EED129AC1F1.jpeg
    5EACD0FE-218E-447A-BC2D-7EED129AC1F1.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Ok so back in April 2021 I confess she did run with my other minis there was a stallion present but he’s 29 inches, young not experienced! He did get my other mare pregnant I post about her too she’s 29 inches as well though! This mare is a large mini she’s 39 inches I’d never seen him get even close she’s so much taller. She went on to show full heat May, June then on July 20th thats when my other stallion who was a week from being gelded took down a fence line to get to her, I caught them in the act, I was gone most of the day so he could have covered her several times! She has no discharge which my vet said would be present with Placentitis, opinions please and has anyone ever seen a successful breeding with that much of a height difference could I have gotten this all wrong:(

Last edited:
Yes, I've know successful breedings at the height difference, sorry. Don't panic yet. That doesn't look like a foaling udder yet. Her nipples aren't filled and you are waiting for them to point down not in. She looks like she's elongating but she can do more. Wax is a yellow colour and will cover the bottom of the nipple, I don't see wax. Keep watching and let us know if anything changes:)

Yes, I've know successful breedings at the height difference, sorry. Don't panic yet. That doesn't look like a foaling udder yet. Her nipples aren't filled and you are waiting for them to point down not in. She looks like she's elongating but she can do more. Wax is a yellow colour and will cover the bottom of the nipple, I don't see wax. Keep watching and let us know if anything changes:)
what about her being a maiden the rules change a little huh :(
Thank you gosh I hope I’ve been wrong but she literally showed full heat and let him cover her

Some mares will do that the whole pregnancy but it's not normal. I think the biggest problem with maidens is you don't know what their normal is. She could go on like this for a while, there's just no knowing. I have one(experienced brood mare but a rescue without any background on her normal) who had me watching for 4 months thinking she was close then when I saw her a couple days before I knew what her close was. I'm not a breeder or a pro, I tend to start foal watch early and make everyone around me crazy talking and worrying. Hang in there, talk to your vet as much as you need to without worrying that you're bothering her and post anything here, it helps.

Miniature stallions have breed full sized horses. If you run your mares with a stallion you should probably expect foals.
I do realize things like that can happen, seemed super unlikely with this young one, you could see how inexperienced he was. I was hoping he’d breed at least my small mare I could see his couple attempts at this mare were short he got bored frustrated and he moved on. I personally never saw him even bother with her again I HOPE IM WRONG! She also had 3 months after this of full heat as to when I witnessed her allow our other stallion to cover her and by the looks of her rear more then once.

I do realize things like that can happen, seemed super unlikely with this young one, you could see how inexperienced he was. I was hoping he’d breed at least my small mare I could see his couple attempts at this mare were short he got bored frustrated and he moved on. I personally never saw him even bother with her again I HOPE IM WRONG! She also had 3 months after this of full heat as to when I witnessed her allow our other stallion to cover her and by the looks of her rear more then once.
When a taller mare is really ready, they will stoop to get the job done. A stallion or stud will only give up for a short time. Even when they are getting the slats kicked out of them, they don't give up when the odor is there.

When a taller mare is really ready, they will stoop to get the job done. A stallion or stud will only give up for a short time. Even when they are getting the slats kicked out of them, they don't give up when the odor is there.
Praying that’s what happened and that she was just a little hoe the next couple months because the alternative makes me nervous. Thank you

Some mares will do that the whole pregnancy but it's not normal. I think the biggest problem with maidens is you don't know what their normal is. She could go on like this for a while, there's just no knowing. I have one(experienced brood mare but a rescue without any background on her normal) who had me watching for 4 months thinking she was close then when I saw her a couple days before I knew what her close was. I'm not a breeder or a pro, I tend to start foal watch early and make everyone around me crazy talking and worrying. Hang in there, talk to your vet as much as you need to without worrying that you're bothering her and post anything here, it helps.
I just sat on a telemedicine zoom call with my vet for 30 minutes she’s so busy today but at least it gave us a chance to check in. I guess Placentitis is extremely rare in California so weird but yeah, she said that and does NOT feel it’s the issue but to accurately diagnose they’d do an internal ultrasound measuring the placenta and uterus which they can’t do with minis. She agreed with what you and others said that she could very well have gotten pregnant and been a hussy the next few months lol her words or just having a dramatic pregnancy that does continue normally for at least 87 more days

Last edited:
Have you asked your vet if you can treat her safely for placentitis if she doesn't have it? That might make you feel better and cover the bases in case. As long as it's safe for both mare and foal it could be worth it?

I just sat on a telemedicine zoom call with my vet for 30 minutes she’s so busy today but at least it gave us a chance to check in. I guess Placentitis is extremely rare in California so weird but yeah, she said that and does NOT feel it’s the issue but to accurately diagnose they’d do an internal ultrasound measuring the placenta and uterus which they can’t do with minis. She agreed with what you and others said that she could very well have gotten pregnant and been a hussy the next few months lol her words or just having a dramatic pregnancy that does continue normally for at least 87 more days

They don't always catch the first time. It does not automatically mean they are pregnant when you witness the event.

They don't always catch the first time. It does not automatically mean they are pregnant when you witness the event.
Yes I realize that but she wasn’t bred after the last time which was the only time I witnessed it. Three months prior she was pastured with mares geldings and one very young much smaller stallion that I never saw mess with her at all really. I know that doesn’t mean he didn’t in fact at this point I’m praying he did but she went on to appear in heat over the next few months and let a stallion cover her

Latest posts

Back