Opinions needed please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6-8 weeks before is normal. So you are within the range, I would think. My mare had almost no udder development at 305 days, but she went almost a full year. However, my vet said once they are on antibiotics for placentitis you need to keep them on antibiotics until foaling. If it were me, I would lean towards putting her back on them, but I'd think a call to your vet would be the best bet at this point.
I actually heard that too and my vet disagreed with me saying that he’s never done that in any case, but I’m leaning towards what you are saying because I’ve read that as well. I think the reason he had me take her off them is she got placentitis extremely early on in comparison to what’s average so I would’ve had to keep her on antibiotics for seven months and he thought 90 to 100 days would be sufficient

6-8 weeks before is normal. So you are within the range, I would think. My mare had almost no udder development at 305 days, but she went almost a full year. However, my vet said once they are on antibiotics for placentitis you need to keep them on antibiotics until foaling. If it were me, I would lean towards putting her back on them, but I'd think a call to your vet would be the best bet at this point.
This is how her udder looks right now. Do you agree if she stays small like this and very gradually progresses that it’s probably OK? I feel like with placentitis it would start getting big again really fast ugh I hate the worry it’s torture. I have the antibiotics I could start her at any time I’m just wondering if I’m being over paranoid

Attachments

• IMG_3917.jpeg
    IMG_3917.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Ok I got so scared I ran to the barn and started her back on SMZ I feel like I don’t want to be sorry😭

Your poor heart, @BrookeB!! Go with your gut. Watch what happens with her udder now that she's getting reasonably close to delivery but is on antibiotics. Are you planning to keep her on them right through delivery? If so, would you need to support with some other form of colostrum?

Hmm, my vet didn't mention anything about problems with the colostrum, but that's a good question to ask. I believe the vet actually had me keep her on the antibiotics another week after foaling too.
I’m going to keep her on them until she goes into labor but no I’ve never heard of any issues with colostrum or anything relating to the baby it’s a safe antibiotic and the whole reason they use it for placentitis is because it’s one of the few antibiotics that crosses the placenta barrier from what I understand. Most antibiotics don’t do that so they can’t treat this. My gut feeling is she’s just starting to bag up but I’d rather be safe than sorry. My vet said the antibiotic will not hurt her or baby so I’m just going to continue them

296 day!!!😭so close so happy but still so worried, that’s just how I am I can never just relax😩here’s some photos from today, what do you all think, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_4163.jpeg
    IMG_4163.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4162.jpeg
    IMG_4162.jpeg
    903.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4160.jpeg
    IMG_4160.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I think all your hard work is going to pay off! Remember 300 days is the safe date for minis and a good friend actually had a healthy filly at 297 a couple years ago. Way to go for babying her and going above and beyond. I don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but placentitis increases the risk for a red bag delivery due to poor placenta health. Seems like you are on top of it but I would definitely watch her very closely.

I think all your hard work is going to pay off! Remember 300 days is the safe date for minis and a good friend actually had a healthy filly at 297 a couple years ago. Way to go for babying her and going above and beyond. I don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but placentitis increases the risk for a red bag delivery due to poor placenta health. Seems like you are on top of it but I would definitely watch her very closely.
Thank you and yes I do realize that and I’m so terrified. If I see a red bag I’m to immediately cut through it reach in a pull the foal out correct? I should not wait for contractions, pushing nothing? Please advise🙏🏼thanks again

You will not just randomly see a red bag. She will be down and pushing, and then you will see the red bag instead of hooves.

Thank you and yes I do realize that and I’m so terrified. If I see a red bag I’m to immediately cut through it reach in a pull the foal out correct? I should not wait for contractions, pushing nothing? Please advise🙏🏼thanks again
Labor will progress normally but instead of seeing the white amniotic sac, you will see a red bag with the placental star. You will cut that (carefully), and assist with the contractions. You don’t want to over assist because you risk injuring the mare. Pull with contractions down and out. You should have about 6 minutes max. I’m more aggressive then normal when pulling but it’s not a 30 second or nothing thing.

Thanks everyone, sounds so scary I can’t imagine the panic one must feel seeing a red bag and knowing it’s survival is all on you. I hope I never know that feeling but I very much appreciate all the knowledge regarding this you can share🙏🏼❤️I’m taking huge mental notes.

Most births are panic-inducing, until you have seen a couple dozen of them. You worry about presentation. Is that a front hoof or a back hoof? Should I pull? Your mare gets up while feet are sticking out of her. The foal isn't up quickly enough. The foal is up but the mare is still down. Where is the placenta? Is my mare going to kill me? Is she going to kill the foal? She's not standing still how can the baby nurse? She just spun to keep me away from the foal and knocked it down. I'm always jealous of the people that come out and see a foal already nursing.

Most births are panic-inducing, until you have seen a couple dozen of them. You worry about presentation. Is that a front hoof or a back hoof? Should I pull? Your mare gets up while feet are sticking out of her. The foal isn't up quickly enough. The foal is up but the mare is still down. Where is the placenta? Is my mare going to kill me? Is she going to kill the foal? She's not standing still how can the baby nurse? She just spun to keep me away from the foal and knocked it down. I'm always jealous of the people that come out and see a foal already nursing.
True true true! Honestly it’s all way to scary and loss hits hard I’m done after this one lol

Yes, but....my mare occasionally looks relaxed enough to pop out a foal any second, and that's sometimes when she isn't bred. Got any recent udder pics?
Well, here’s one I just took she’s a maiden she doesn’t have a great udder yet but she’s had multiple fetal viability blood tests because of her placentitis so we know she has a baby in there. Should I still rely on udder for a maiden??

Attachments

• IMG_4253.jpeg
    IMG_4253.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back