HELP IS THIS NORMAL!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ValerieS

Reaction score
My mare is 204 days in foal these pics are of her udder yesterday & today

Attachments

• BB9B739B-15E2-4A94-85CF-6D904D0D2858.jpeg
    BB9B739B-15E2-4A94-85CF-6D904D0D2858.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 3
  • A545A1C4-2FD2-4DBA-BF7B-BEA902A1A9CF.jpeg
    A545A1C4-2FD2-4DBA-BF7B-BEA902A1A9CF.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 3
I would definitely keep an eye on it. Starting an udder that early is not normal. However it could just be hormonal. There is always the chance of placentitis.
Are their other signs of Placentitis and what amount of udder development would signify a reason to look into that? I sent the pics to my vet she said it’s probably hormonal but I really trust mini breeder experience even more so.

My mare is also pregnant, although I have no idea how many days along she is, however way back in August my girl had even more udder development and then it disappeared completely and is back up a bit again. I think it is a good possibility it is hormonal and the mare's body preparing. Women who have been pregnant can probably relate to swelled (and even painful) breasts early on and it usually gets better in a while and comes back again closer to deliver. Just my thoughts. It is good to think of all the possibilities though. Keep an eye on it and take frequent photos so you can monitor any changes more objectively than trying to remember. Keep us posed!

Been at this for a long time and it never entered my mind to take pictures of their udders. I always did as my vet did and feel the udder for thickening and how soft it was or anything that felt abnormal. I guess abnormal is something found comparing from the past. The vet will talk about what he or she is feeling while examining the mare. A person worried might want to have a vet explain what they are feeling while examining the udder. Just a thought. I know in some areas the vet cost and be quite high. It is not here.

Been at this for a long time and it never entered my mind to take pictures of their udders. I always did as my vet did and feel the udder for thickening and how soft it was or anything that felt abnormal. I guess abnormal is something found comparing from the past. The vet will talk about what he or she is feeling while examining the mare. A person worried might want to have a vet explain what they are feeling while examining the udder. Just a thought. I know in some areas the vet cost and be quite high. It is not here.
Thank you and yes I have no problem having my vet out and I always call if concerned. I did speak to her and sent her photos. She felt it was probably hormonal unless it progresses but also told me if a mare is going to abort there’s nothing that can stop that process :( unless it’s low progesterone then of course there’s Regumate, but she seems to be doing good right now and her udder hadn’t changed any further at this point thankfully.

My mare is also pregnant, although I have no idea how many days along she is, however way back in August my girl had even more udder development and then it disappeared completely and is back up a bit again. I think it is a good possibility it is hormonal and the mare's body preparing. Women who have been pregnant can probably relate to swelled (and even painful) breasts early on and it usually gets better in a while and comes back again closer to deliver. Just my thoughts. It is good to think of all the possibilities though. Keep an eye on it and take frequent photos so you can monitor any changes more objectively than trying to remember. Keep us posed!
Thank you that’s a very true and comforting thought appreciate <3

why is this mare making me nervous i need to stop

Attachments

• E74391E0-212A-453C-B787-3DF0A848CB92.jpeg
    E74391E0-212A-453C-B787-3DF0A848CB92.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
She could be elongating but doesn't look there yet, do you have an earlier pic for comparison? It's easier to tell if you move her tail sideways instead of up, up they will tense up and you won't see what's really going on as well. Are you 100% on her breed date? Has she normally had more belly than that?

Last edited:
She could be elongating but doesn't look there yet, do you have an earlier pic for comparison? It's easier to tell if you move her tail sideways instead of up, up they will tense up and you won't see what's really going on as well. Are you 100% on her breed date? Has she normally had more belly than that?
She’s big it worries me she’s only 208 days, I’ll get a pic. When i took this the baby was lined up position because she looked flat sided and low but of course it didn’t stay like that. Usually it’s hard for me to tell a horse is pregnant at this stage but yes she’s 100% confirmed by a vet.

Last edited:
Here’s a side view

Attachments

• 5D05F7BF-58CA-4302-84B6-2B98010031E9.jpeg
    5D05F7BF-58CA-4302-84B6-2B98010031E9.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 89688775-067D-4D10-85FB-D7CB1ECECD6A.jpeg
    89688775-067D-4D10-85FB-D7CB1ECECD6A.jpeg
    363.3 KB · Views: 12
I wouldn’t worry about her size yet at all. She’s pretty good sized but minis are notorious for getting huge. She does have a bit of elongation going but I wouldn’t at all he surprised if it’s tied to her possibly hormonal udder. I’d watch it yes, but I would be relatively sure she’s just practicing.

I wouldn’t worry about her size yet at all. She’s pretty good sized but minis are notorious for getting huge. She does have a bit of elongation going but I wouldn’t at all he surprised if it’s tied to her possibly hormonal udder. I’d watch it yes, but I would be relatively sure she’s just practicing.
Thank you so much appreciate that I’ll take a deep breath and chill out😅

Last edited:
PittePatter has one that's looked bigger than that since Aug. Any chance she had an earlier date with the boy than you thought?

Latest posts

Back