HELP IS THIS NORMAL!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not going to say or think wishful thinking or you're out of your mind or anything else like that. I hope they both are!!!!!! 🤞 More info and pictures please?!?! I hadn't given up on your other one being in foal after seeing how her belly changed shape and size in a day but I wasn't going to bring it up and get your hopes up if I was wrong, please don't let me be wrong 🙏

Last edited:
I'm not going to say or think wishful thinking or you're out of your mind or anything else like that. I hope they both are!!!!!! 🤞 More info and pictures please?!?! I hadn't given up on your other one being in foal after seeing how her belly changed shape and size in a day but I wasn't going to bring it up and get your hopes up if I was wrong, please don't let me be wrong 🙏

Oh my gosh I never looked twice at this mare regarding pregnancy because she blood tested negative and has been acting like she’s in heat but her body changed literally over night and it caught my eye so I’ve put her in a barn stall on camera the last two nights, and she’s been laying down a lot, also manure with no form. I watched her on the camera all night she paced, kicked her belly, nipped her flanks and pushed her butt up against the wall for hours. Her udder is nothing really but is bigger then her norm she has that same small looking “wax” color blob like my other mare had before the disastrous day. She’s a maiden btw

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    40 MB
Last edited:
I'd be keeping a very close eye on her, the problem is you don't know if she's been acting like this for a while which some do or if it's a sign that she's close, ugh. With her being a maiden you want to make sure you are there to help her after in case she is afraid of the foal. I had one here who was and it wasn't severe but she had to be held for the foal to nurse for the first 12 hours or so, after that she was fine but it was a two person job all day. Do you have someone there to help you?

From what you're describing she could be in foal, she looks uncomfortable in that video, do you have any pictures? When was she bred? How about the other one, anything going on with her? I don't see much sleep in your near future.
[/QUOTE
same time frame as my other I had posted about. They were both seen in May 2021 with my young stallion mounting but not finishing at least when I witnessed it. I removed him from the girls May 30. I have videos of her out at the fence line the last 3 days squirting & winking at my stallion, my family thinks I’m crazy btw lol but this mare I know her so well. She’s my bottle baby was born in 2013 on my property her mom tried to kill her immediately after birth. My vet and I did make an attempt to socialize them without success it was awful so I brought her in the house and bottle fed her, she lived in there and the backyard for 5 months. I have mixed emotions about her being pregnant honestly I didn’t want to do that with her and I know “if your mares run with stallions expect pregnancy” for the record he had not dropped his testicles yet we were waiting to see if he was going to be a crypt but then there they were just like that.

Last edited:
I'd be keeping a very close eye on her, the problem is you don't know if she's been acting like this for a while which some do or if it's a sign that she's close, ugh. With her being a maiden you want to make sure you are there to help her after in case she is afraid of the foal. I had one here who was and it wasn't severe but she had to be held for the foal to nurse for the first 12 hours or so, after that she was fine but it was a two person job all day. Do you have someone there to help you?
I see her all day long she just started acting like this about 2-3 days ago. She’s a thinner built mare never looked pregnant just one day I walked out and bam she looked different it was that fast! Yes I have family members at home, I’m afraid of that with her she’s got quite the attitude with everyone and everything except me and my daughter.

From what you're describing she could be in foal, she looks uncomfortable in that video, do you have any pictures? When was she bred? How about the other one, anything going on with her? I don't see much sleep in your near future.
I’m sure the other is as well her udder is changing but it goes up & down a lot! She just looks pregnant to me which I know doesn’t mean a lot, but she also has manure with no real form started last night.

The whole world can think you're crazy, ignore them. It's better to watch in case then to say no way and have a problem because of it. If they were bred sometime in May then they are coming along on schedule. She might not get an udder until after foaling or right before, I think you said her mom foaled without one. It's not unheard of for maidens to not show at all until right at the end. I have known mares who didn't like anyone and were crazy about their babies and great moms so don't stress on that before it happens. If the other noes udder is going up and down chances are it will go up and stay there just before she foals. What are their names? It's easier to keep track of who's who that way :). I'd keep watching them closely. Good luck and keep us posted. It's OK to vent and freak out as much as you need to, it helps😁

The whole world can think you're crazy, ignore them. It's better to watch in case then to say no way and have a problem because of it. If they were bred sometime in May then they are coming along on schedule. She might not get an udder until after foaling or right before, I think you said her mom foaled without one. It's not unheard of for maidens to not show at all until right at the end. I have known mares who didn't like anyone and were crazy about their babies and great moms so don't stress on that before it happens. If the other noes udder is going up and down chances are it will go up and stay there just before she foals. What are their names? It's easier to keep track of who's who that way :). I'd keep watching them closely. Good luck and keep us posted. It's OK to vent and freak out as much as you need to, it helps😁
HAHA no theyre just like “I just saw her in heat at the fence” I’m like i know lol but still😅they just can’t think outside the box but I love them anyway LOL. Thanks for all the great advice🙏I honestly haven’t slept in 2 nights I was too afraid if I fell asleep something would happen and I definitely feel the “ptsd” from what happened last week still, I’m just way more nervous now. No more babies after these two if I’m right about them, my nerves are shattered

This is my other one like no real udder but her mom had her with no udder and to be honest never really got one after but maybe because she wasn’t nursing regularly??? My vet left me 3 days of a mild sedative injections so I could use a sawed off syringe to extract 3 days of colostrum from her she wouldn’t let me anywhere near her udders to take it without that. After that the baby went on foal replacement formula 6B9919A3-EE47-4239-8F61-E89D8CEA4FDE.png03CEDDE8-DAF2-4009-AA71-BBC9566F3C21.jpeg

I think you're at that 'wonderful' stage of waiting, watching, wondering and waiting some more. The chestnut, I think she's actually pinto, did the slab sided to very round the next day in her last pictures so it's something to notice with her but not giving you a lot of info. They both look like they're elongating and both need to get more udder development, going by the book they aren't ready yet. Do you by any chance have fescue in your hay? If you do you need to take them off of it and put them on hay cubes. It might or might not have anything to do with the lack of udder, they could just not be there yet. Welcome to foal watch, exciting, exhausting and terrifying, doubly terrifying for you. Wish I could be more help. There was one mare on here a couple of years ago who looked ready to go for about 4 weeks, cow patties and all, she got a little more udder and then finally foaled, after escaping out of her stall where the camera didn't see and having the foal in the back of her paddock alone, both were fine. Mare really is a 4 letter word.
Oh, duramectin (ivermectin) is the right thing for them.

I think you're at that 'wonderful' stage of waiting, watching, wondering and waiting some more. The chestnut, I think she's actually pinto, did the slab sided to very round the next day in her last pictures so it's something to notice with her but not giving you a lot of info. They both look like they're elongating and both need to get more udder development, going by the book they aren't ready yet. Do you by any chance have fescue in your hay? If you do you need to take them off of it and put them on hay cubes. It might or might not have anything to do with the lack of udder, they could just not be there yet. Welcome to foal watch, exciting, exhausting and terrifying,
doubly terrifying for you. Wish I could be more help. There was one mare on here a couple of years ago who looked ready to go for about 4 weeks, cow patties and all, she got a little more udder and then finally foaled, after escaping out of her stall where the camera didn't see and having the foal in the back of her paddock alone, both were fine. Mare really is a 4 letter word.
Oh, duramectin (ivermectin) is the right thing for them.
Stop you’re always helpful :) Should I keep them in their bath stalls or let them out during the day??? No fescue in fact I haven’t even let them into the grazing pastures since they were possibly bred because you can never guarantee there’s no fescue growing since it’s a wild weed/grass. Good thing her baby was ok I tend to be a worrier I hate that about myself.
Yes my little chestnut is actually a pintaloosa. Her dam was a Pinto her sire was an Appaloosa. I bought my daughter a APHA from this lady about 5 years ago. While we were there picking him up she said “do you know anyone who wants a mini” i was like “me right here i always want minis😂” She said her loud Pinto & Appy gave birth to a solid Chestnut other then one white circle and they’ve never done that, she was actually mad about it SO SAD & MEAN! She wanted her off her hands literally said take her, gave her to me, she was about 8 months old at the time. She’s a beautiful little girl about 29 inches and so sweet I love her to pieces🥰

Good about the fescue, I'm a worrier too 😁.
I have one that came from a 'mini breeder' who only had pintos, he is black with a small star. She had him by himself in a little paddock, barely feeding him at 4 months old. She was angry and hated him because he was the wrong colour, needless to say he didn't stay there. I don't know what's wrong with people..........😤😡

Back