HELP IS THIS NORMAL!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you asked your vet if you can treat her safely for placentitis if she doesn't have it? That might make you feel better and cover the bases in case. As long as it's safe for both mare and foal it could be worth it?
Yes I did think about that too but was torn on whether that’s a good idea as you hear about people losing babies after vaccines and wondering if antibiotics can cause problems ever especially if not needed. I guess I could ask her…

Have you asked your vet if you can treat her safely for placentitis if she doesn't have it? That might make you feel better and cover the bases in case. As long as it's safe for both mare and foal it could be worth it?
Wow It’s so much more intense to treat then a simple antibiotic, so complicated to diagnose in minis especially:(just praying she’s correct as she does specialize in reproduction and seemed very confident the situation would have already escalated from bad to worse.

https://equine-reproduction.com/articles/newer/placentitis

Maybe? The colour looks right to me. Anything else going on? How far along is she now?

Appears to be plugs. Can you get a picture of her whole udder? As I recall, she’s too early to be waxing…

Last edited:
A good way to differentiate between plugs and wax is understanding what causes them. Plugs are literally plugs that are found on every mare. Some are very obvious like in your girls case, and some are barely noticeable. wax occurs when the udder is so full that it’s leaking. That’s what makes it look waxy because it’s seeping out.

Maybe? The colour looks right to me. Anything else going on? How far along is she now?
The color is what caught my eye as well. Actually yes she has mushy manure and her rear is definitely softening she’s also laying down a lot. She has the complicated story but only known cover on July 20 which would make her 252 days. :(

The way I check for wax is to pinch off what is on the end of the nipple and rub it between my thumb and finger. If it feels like wax it is wax. If it does not feel slippery like wax it is dirt.
When i went to look for it today it had fallen off it was gone

Appears to be plugs. Can you get a picture of her whole udder? As I recall, she’s too early to be waxing…
Yes but she does have a complicated story I believe I told it somewhere on this thread with only known cover though July 20. I hope you’re right and it’s just plugs but the color was different :(I’ll go take an udder pic

Last edited:
A good way to differentiate between plugs and wax is understanding what causes them. Plugs are literally plugs that are found on every mare. Some are very obvious like in your girls case, and some are barely noticeable. wax occurs when the udder is so full that it’s leaking. That’s what makes it look waxy because it’s seeping out.
I’ve seen wax once, I’ve had 3 births on my property, a mini, a donkey and a standard size horse. My horse was not a maiden and followed the book perfectly with waxing the day she foaled. It was more then what this appeared here but very similar in color.

I’ve seen wax once, I’ve had 3 births on my property, a mini, a donkey and a standard size horse. My horse was not a maiden and followed the book perfectly with waxing the day she foaled. It was more then what this appeared here but very similar in color.
Any time I check an udder I strip the teat down to see if there is any discharge of any kind. I then look at what might be on my fingers. I milked cows by hand all thru high school which may make a difference in how I look at things.

Yes but she does have a complicated story I believe I told it somewhere on this thread with only known cover though July 20. I hope you’re right and it’s just plugs but the color was different :(I’ll go take an udder pic

It is a but unusual looking for just plugs but I’m hoping that’s the case, if that July breed date is correct. It doesn’t look like her udder is full so hopefully that’s the case!

I might be completely wrong here so don't hold me to it. Can you get anything from her udder? Isn't the wax yellow because it's leaking colostrum? If you can't get anything from her udder then it shouldn't be wax? I've only had one wax and she was a big mare, it covered her the whole bottom of her teat and when I took it off it was very sticky. How's she doing today?
I'm pulling for your vet being right and everything is fine she's just being dramatic.......it never hurts to think positive and hope 🤞 🙏

Last edited:
I might be completely wrong here so don't hold me to it. Can you get anything from her udder? Isn't the wax yellow because it's leaking colostrum? If you can't get anything from her udder then it shouldn't be wax? I've only had one wax and she was a big mare, it covered her the whole bottom of her teat and when I took it off it was very sticky. How's she doing today?
I'm pulling for your vet being right and everything is fine she's just being dramatic.......it never hurts to think positive and hope 🤞 🙏
I’m not Taz I totally respect your honest opinion that’s all I’d ever ask for and I agree I thought the color was suspicious

It is a but unusual looking for just plugs but I’m hoping that’s the case, if that July breed date is correct. It doesn’t look like her udder is full so hopefully that’s the case!
Ok so the first pic is last night when I posted about the possible “wax” the other photo is right now. The strange thing is she hasn’t had this small of an udder in about 2 months. She’s really had me nervous with her early development. There appears to be dried fluid on her teats just a few tiny drops (pic is close up of that) now I’m wondering if she’s been leaking fluid out hence the shrinking?! Would that be considered normal?90E9DB3D-FFDB-4572-9DE2-D90146210561.jpeg52A95168-9085-4168-AED6-6FBB338C4A67.pngB9A64618-899B-4C3F-B39C-4EE6D3F1A164.jpeg

Okay the good news is that udder doesn’t look close to foaling which I’m sure you knew. I’m wondering if they are just overzealous plugs. I agree they did look odd. But I’m having a hard time thinking it’s true wax. I am checking with my mentor (she’s bred minis for decades), I’ll let you know what she thinks. How many days is she now?

Okay the good news is that udder doesn’t look close to foaling which I’m sure you knew. I’m wondering if they are just overzealous plugs. I agree they did look odd. But I’m having a hard time thinking it’s true wax. I am checking with my mentor (she’s bred minis for decades), I’ll let you know what she thinks. How many days is she now?
Thank you so much🙏she’s 253 days but she’s also a maiden which I realize makes her harder to read?!

My mentor agrees. It’s likely just more dramatic plugs. Not enough udder for wax. Plus not near far enough along (assuming placentitis was ruled out which I think you said it was).

My mentor agrees. It’s likely just more dramatic plugs. Not enough udder for wax. Plus not near far enough along (assuming placentitis was ruled out which I think you said it was).

To me I would call what is seen in your picture the area where an udder will develop when the time comes. After she foals and after she drys up you will see more of an udder.

Latest posts

Back