HELP IS THIS NORMAL!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me I would call what is seen in your picture the area where an udder will develop when the time comes. After she foals and after she drys up you will see more of an udder.

I’m not sure what you mean by this? After she drys up (I’m assuming you mean at waning) her udder should go back down to nothing. She’s already got some udder forming. But it could just be hormonal.

I’m not sure what you mean by this? After she drys up (I’m assuming you mean at waning) her udder should go back down to nothing. She’s already got some udder forming. But it could just be hormonal.

What I mean is after the foal is weaned, she will dry up and always have an udder. It will be more like two flaps that you can feel. I was only trying to keep you from worrying as much. About the only time I worry is about people that worry.
Worry is anxiety and uncertainty over actual or (potential problems) that might never accrue. My wife worries about things that she loses days at a time where she can only sit around before she gets the (true) facts. Please don't take offence!

I think you may be tagging the wrong person. I’m not the owner, just trying to give advise from my experience. And no offense taken. 😉

I think you may be tagging the wrong person. I’m not the owner, just trying to give advise from my experience. And no offense taken. 😉

I'm 83 and my wife says I am hard of hearing. I tell her my hearing is fine but I don't pay attention. You just proved I am right again. Now to prove that I was right for once to Shirley! Aw, I better drop it and let well enough alone. 🤔 😁

My mentor agrees. It’s likely just more dramatic plugs. Not enough udder for wax. Plus not near far enough along (assuming placentitis was ruled out which I think you said it was).
Thank you for asking her that’s really good news :) my only mini birth experience was back several years I still have the filly she’s my heart, but what I was getting at was the mare was a maiden whom I wasn’t sure she was in foal. Got my vet out to look at her, he said she’s a bit overweight not pregnant that’s why she has a mildly flabby udder, it was just very slightly swollen. He did take blood though called me a week later and said SHES VERY PREGNANT lol she foaled a month later with literally no udder and no super obvious signs. I did catch the birth though purely by accident, but this is probably why I get a bit nervous about all this fairly easy. Maidens are terrifying lol

I think the whole things terrifying, not having a breed date or having them act 'funny' just makes it worse! I'm sure you've said this but do you have a camera on her at night? It makes for a long night if you're checking her but better than getting up or not knowing what's going on.

I think the whole things terrifying, not having a breed date or having them act 'funny' just makes it worse! I'm sure you've said this but do you have a camera on her at night? It makes for a long night if you're checking her but better than getting up or not knowing what's going on.
Yes I do have her on camera at night in a barn stall. I let her out during the day but there’s 8 cameras surrounding the barn and near areas so I can see her and the others daytime too. The problem is I auto wake every hour and grab for my phone which im sleeping with to look at her. I feel like because she’s so symptomatic foal watch has started so much earlier then anticipated, she’ll be 300 days May 16th unless the weirder version of my story pans out, but that’s my earliest goal. So tired but I know all of you know way too well about that;)

Is she for sure in labor? If she is and hasn’t progressed in 2 hrs she needs intervention ASAP. Is she activity pushing or just uncomfortable? If she’s just uncomfortable it may not be labor and it may just be an uncomfortable position of the foal. If she’s truly in labor though and it’s been this long it’s time for a vet.

Is she for sure in labor? If she is and hasn’t progressed in 2 hrs she needs intervention ASAP. Is she activity pushing or just uncomfortable? If she’s just uncomfortable it may not be labor and it may just be an uncomfortable position of the foal. If she’s truly in labor though and it’s been this long it’s time for a vet.
She’s been trying to position it for at least 3 hours now! I called my vet he said this can last hours???!!!! I’m nervous!!! Not pushing just rolling and pacing!

Attachments

• IMG_9311.MOV
    21.1 MB
That looks like pushing to me. Do you have a longer video. I’m sending you a pm

Didn't check in until too late. You need a vet. Any updates? 🙏 🙏 🤞🤞

I ended up taking her to the equine hospital baby was stuck they almost had to surgically remove her, was a beautiful filly born about 6 weeks to early. I’m heartbroken I can’t stop crying I’ve never had this happen im not a breeder it was just an accidental blessing and I’m so unbelievably sad. She’s staying there unti tomorrow on antibiotics and to make sure the placenta passes which hasn’t happened yet. Thank you everyone for your kind words and prayers I’m an emotional wreck.

Latest posts

Back