Marlanoc Foal Thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Special blows me away. There's a word I don't tend to use to describe horses... but I think it suits him and that is 'perfect'
default_wub.png
:wub I'm waiting on pics from 3 different photo sessions from him now, can't wait to see them!

Although we're planning some shots of Lyric and Pallidon when Lyric starts showing, now that will be a nice set!

Did I ever mention my photo addiction?
default_new_rofl.gif

I'm an amateur photographer raised by an artist. It makes me so fussy with photos of my horses!

I'm lucky I'm now showing with a pro who can do shoots during the lunch break on show days which has really cut the cost down.

Thanks, I'm so smitten with Pallidon
default_wub.png
he has been my major winner and is such a good friend. I can't wait to pull him from the halter ring and get him driving! I also can't wait to see what he produces in the future, Lyric and Sterling are a fantastic start.

And thanks everyone for all the congrats! If winning is the icing on the cake then they must be the sprinkles or somthing
default_new_rofl.gif

Cassie you'll have to find someone to tag along with! I had a friend with me last show and she was immeadietly pressed into service by holding ribbons and horses as we juggled our show teams.
default_new_rofl.gif
But she got to see how we prep them and present them as well as lot of the performance stuff. She can't wait to get her little guy started on the performance work and is really looking forward to showing next season!

As she said she had been worried about how competitive it might be (she stopped showing ridden horses because of the nastiness) but saw that no matter how much we want to beat each other we also have a lot of fun on the day.

Derby FINALLY has someone to run with during the day!

He and Spesh are out in the arena now.

Derby needs his manners fine tuned
default_wacko.png
he hooned up to Spesh and kept crowding him. Spesh is very familiar with youngsters so is gave him a bit of a telling off which made Derby back off and think. Now they're both side by side searching out the grass and weeds, of which there are way too many in my arena!
default_new_rofl.gif

But it's nice to have someone in with the Derbster, he has been on his own for too long and they really need some interaction!

Although Special looks like an alien. He is out in his purple and orange lycra suit, a black and white uv/insect mesh with tail bag and hood and a purple and white flymask over his face. Plus sunblock on his muzzle in case the nose flap flips up!
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl Tell me again why I like appaloosas?
next year when the people across the road start showing their fur kids again, I might try tag along with them...

I am well used to the whole dumping, running, holding and jobs at shows, my best friend is big into showing she does alot of hacking, and I go with her and her mum and I am their official chief strapper!! haven't been to many lately... but hoping to go down to canberra with them and to werribee next year!! she has a miniature to... Pumpkin LOL but she is tiny, and we think maybe has a bit of dwarf so wouldn't show her... (will post some pics of her on my thread
default_smile.png
) would love to get to some mini horse shows to check out the scene before I see if I wanna tackle them LOL
default_biggrin.png

congrats with Spesh!! he sure looks like a star!!!!! what sort of sunscreen can you use on their nose? I think I need to start putting some on Penny's I think she is getting sunburnt!
default_wacko.png

The foals are getting assessed by my mentor this week
default_wacko.png
:wacko Very nervous!

They'll also get measured for their papers and Lyric will get to borrow some rugs so I can clip her soon.

I should probably clean up the tack room before they see the mess I've made
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl

The foals are getting assessed by my mentor this week
default_wacko.png
:wacko Very nervous!

They'll also get measured for their papers and Lyric will get to borrow some rugs so I can clip her soon.

I should probably clean up the tack room before they see the mess I've made
default_new_rofl.gif
YAY!!!! how exciting! can we have video footage? LOL
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_multi.gif
please please please please HEHE would love to hear what your mentor says and does. HOW EXCITING!! and nerving! just so long as you tell us EVERYTHING after I suppose we will be happy LOL

How old is Lyric now? please show us pics of before and after when you clip your pretty little girl! can't wait to see what she is hiding under all that fluff!! LOL

how do you get your mini's trained to handle the clippers ok? I remember you saying Pallidon loves it... how did that happen?

when Finn was at the vets he loved the clippers (as they were giving him scratches) but he was sick, and I wondered what was the best way to reapproach him with them (not that I'm going to do that any time soon LOL)

So what day is she/he coming??!!

Lol! I'll certainly pass on what they say although I have told them to be totally brutal in their assessments. Much as I love my babies I won't breed from or keep just because of love! Although they did see Lyric on her first day and liked her so I think she'll be safe
default_new_rofl.gif
Not sure when they'll get here, somtime this week or next!

Lyric's a little over 3 months now so a great time to assess her and clip her, she's a big girl! I think she'll mature over her mum's size and be like her dad, either a very tall mini or a very short small horse!

Pallidon's first show was when he was still on his mum so he has been very used to the whole clipping/rugging/floating part of life. No idea why he decided he loves his face being clipped but he does, I just undo the nose part of his halter and rest my hand on his muzzle so I can lift and stretch his neck and head and start clipping!

I have clip trained two others though, Apollo and Derby but Lyric will be my first baby.

I'll have her tied up at her paddock gate so she can talk to everyone and I'll run the clippers on an extension cord from the tackroom. I'll start by switching the clippers on and then rubbing her over her body and neck with my hand so I'm not clipping but she is hearing the sound and feeling somthing. When she accepts that I'll start on her neck. Most horses don't seem to mind the neck and a lot enjoy it!

At this point I really want them to have a safe experience rather then the perfect show clip. I might clip in sections, Derby had his neck and body done one morning and two legs that evening, the following day I finished his legs and did his face (which he hates!)

Wings said:
1323308569[/url]' post='1431729']Lol! I'll certainly pass on what they say although I have told them to be totally brutal in their assessments. Much as I love my babies I won't breed from or keep just because of love! Although they did see Lyric on her first day and liked her so I think she'll be safe
default_new_rofl.gif
Not sure when they'll get here, somtime this week or next!

Lyric's a little over 3 months now so a great time to assess her and clip her, she's a big girl! I think she'll mature over her mum's size and be like her dad, either a very tall mini or a very short small horse!

Pallidon's first show was when he was still on his mum so he has been very used to the whole clipping/rugging/floating part of life. No idea why he decided he loves his face being clipped but he does, I just undo the nose part of his halter and rest my hand on his muzzle so I can lift and stretch his neck and head and start clipping!

I have clip trained two others though, Apollo and Derby but Lyric will be my first baby.

I'll have her tied up at her paddock gate so she can talk to everyone and I'll run the clippers on an extension cord from the tackroom. I'll start by switching the clippers on and then rubbing her over her body and neck with my hand so I'm not clipping but she is hearing the sound and feeling somthing. When she accepts that I'll start on her neck. Most horses don't seem to mind the neck and a lot enjoy it!

At this point I really want them to have a safe experience rather then the perfect show clip. I might clip in sections, Derby had his neck and body done one morning and two legs that evening, the following day I finished his legs and did his face (which he hates!)
I can totally understand that
default_smile.png
as much as I love Finn if he isnt show or breeding quality then he will be gelded... Wow hasn't that gone quick!!! She is a big girl!!
wub.gif
Will you clip lyric before your mentor comes?Thanks for the advice with clipping them
default_smile.png
hope everything goes really well for clipping n with the mentor!!
yes.gif

Would love to have her clipped for them, would be much easier to see her properly! But theyre loaning me foal rugs this season since they aren't clipping any so I need those before I clip. But they've been breeding and hsowing for about 20years now so they're pretty good at looking past the fluff...and Lyric has a lot of fluff
default_new_rofl.gif

Love that picture of Special Bree - just wish the show organisers would keep a choice of garlands to present to the winners - BLUE for a boy and PINK for a girl!!

Will be really interested to hear what happens when your mentors visit - how exciting.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Good luck.
default_yes.gif

I've been trying to convince them to swap for teal next year! Teal and black looks good on every horse!
default_yes.gif

Looks like they'll be delayed to next week though
default_wacko.png
I'm so eager to clip Lyric!

Special is the only horse tall enough to rest his head on my stall doors (they where made for big horses) so he has taken to neighing to me in the morning and then resting his nose there until he gets his head rubbed. I think he has me right where he wants me
default_new_rofl.gif

Lyric's not right
default_no.gif

She's quiet, almost listless although her ears still track everything going on.

Rivain has a full looking bag but when Lyric goes to get a drink Rivain shifts her hindquarters away or into her. Nothing nasty or violent just does not seem interested in letting her drink.

Lyric only had a few mouthfulls of dinner not her usual level of interest in hard feed but she did go on to get a large drink from the trough.

Neither she or her mum seem sick or in pain. Rivain is 100% normal outside of the large udder and I just know Lyric is not her normal self.

It has been horribly muggy since yesterday and I wonder if that is getting to her, we're expecting rain soon so I'm hoping the cool change might perk her up a bit.

Called a few breeder friends to hear some thoughts and will have the vet out if she hasn't perked up by tomorrow morning. Figured I better ask here as well!

How old is she now Bree? is it possible that Rivian has decided to wean her? I had a mare that would wean her babies at about 4 months, for about a week she wouldn't let them near her back end.

I hope she is o.k

Sorry but dont really have any suggestions - it is so difficult when they are just a bit off colour but dont give you any particular signs to go on.

Hopefully it is just a little 'blip' or maybe the weather and she will feel better tomorrow.
default_yes.gif

Lyric is 3 'and a bit' months now and already isn't a heavy drinker from her mum, that's why when I first saw Rivain's bag I wasn't too concerned.

I'm really hoping it's just Rivain booting her off early and the weather getting her down
default_sad.png
At least if that's the case I can clip her for the heat and give her extra feed to fill those needs.

You're right Anna, it's so hard when you know they aren't right but there realy isn't anything to go on!

Just wondering how little Lyric was today - hope she's feeling better now.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Just came back in from seeing the vet.

Lyric has the start of a low grade infection. Because she hasn't been feeding Rivain is now in the early stages of mastitis.

Both have been stabbed with many needles of antibiotic goodness and will be on antibiotic paste for a week.

The vet thinks they'll both make very smooth and quick recoveries because it's been caught very early. So while they aren't all clear yet no big issues are expected, I'm feeling very relieved right now!

Just came back in from seeing the vet.

Lyric has the start of a low grade infection. Because she hasn't been feeding Rivain is now in the early stages of mastitis.

Both have been stabbed with many needles of antibiotic goodness and will be on antibiotic paste for a week.

The vet thinks they'll both make very smooth and quick recoveries because it's been caught very early. So while they aren't all clear yet no big issues are expected, I'm feeling very relieved right now!
so glad to hear that everything should be ok! it is SO scary when our babies get sick! I hope that they both recover quickly and fully!!
default_yes.gif

well its raining here so I hope that the rain comes down to you guys... thinking and praying for you all!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back