PALS Miniatures Foaling Thread *** Updated Pictures 5/21***

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glitz foaled about 11:15 PM tonight. Foaling went well. It's a pintaloosa filly! I believe she might be buckskin. Beautiful markings, but she has some serious leg issues. We will be taking her to the vet in the morning. I have given her some of mama's colostrum. She is still searching for the milk bar. We'll watch on camera for awhile to make sure that she nurses.

haha YAY Glitz!! a gorgeous new little filly! oh poor little baby I hope her legs straighten out... can we see some piccies? even if you dnt want to take any of her standing just some to see her lovely marking and colour please
default_smile.png
good girl Blitz she must have heard me HEHE if only that were true!!

Congratulations on your new baby and nothing less than a pintaloosa filly
default_thud.gif
Some girls get all the luck
default_whistling.gif
I am sending prayers that her little legs strengthen up soon
default_pray.gif
Please share some pics, she is our first pintaloosa here
default_yes.gif
default_please.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations, Pam! She sounds gorgeous!

Not knowing what the leg problems are, I can't give my recommendations, but I will say that sometimes even the worst looking legs straighten dramatically in just a week or two. If the legs are really funky, I keep the mare and foal in a small area initially so the foal doesn't have to work so hard following it's dam around. I've seen amazing results with some initially horrible looking legs. Good luck and I'll be thinking of you and the filly. Keep us posted.

Congratulations to you!! I hope all is well with the baby today. Sending you good thoughts.

Congratulations on a pintaloosa filly!! Ditto to what Diane said. I know on the main forum that not too long ago that there was a foal born who's front legs were exactly as Diane described hers. They straightened out perfectly in a couple weeks. So hang in there!!

Oh many congratulations!! Please don't worry too much about the crooked legs (although we haven't seen how bad they are), like Diane I have had a few that really scared me, but giving them a suitable space to move around in at their own pace soon sorted the problem out as they gained strength. A lot of vets say to keep them in, but in my opinion this does not help as in most stalls there is insufficient room for them to move about, and tendons cannot strengthen without 'use', and the splints that are often suggested by vets, usually cause more trouble instead of curing.

Please let us know how the little filly progresses, and pics would be great too!

Our new baby girl is doing great this morning................other than her legs! She was nursing on her own by 2:00 AM. I tried to get her into a vet that another breeder recommended, but the vet is out until Thursday. So I have an appointment with our regular vet to take her up today at 1:40 PM. We might possibly be doing an IV of Tetracycline. Won't know until he examines her. It's such a shame, because in my eyes, shes beautifully marked! Here are some pictures of her:
IMG_5781.jpg

IMG_5777.jpg

IMG_5780.jpg

The photo that shows her color as 'darker' was taken when she was still wet.

Ah, bless her!! Her colour is amazing - just perfect! I'm sure those legs will begin to straighten in a few days and in a few weeks she will be more or less 100%. You will have to have someone hold her to support her when travelling though - she wont be up to supporting herself against the movement of a vehile yet.

Good luck!!

Oh Pam she is stunning. I am sending prayers that she shows improvement fast so you can relax and enjoy her.

We are back from the vet. He called it 'angular deformity,' and didn't believe that the Tetracycline would do any good. He said surgery is a possibility, but then, she would still never be 'correct.' The cost, for us, would be prohibitive.

I hadn't mentioned this here before, but Glitz's full brother from last year was the same. At that time, my vet didn't know if it was genetic or not. Obviously now, it is! We tried putting braces on his front legs, but it really did not help. We still have Forrest Gump with us. He was gelded and is waiting for the 'perfect home.' So we will not be breeding Glitz to Smokey again. Possibly, she could be bred to another stallion and the foal would be fine. But we don't have another stallion.

I have shed many tears today.
default_no.gif
Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts and prayers!

She is just beautiful! I would seek another vet opinion as I have seen some horses worse than that, ones that could not stand, that ended up fine after awhile. Leg exercises several times daily to stretch the tendons and possibly glue on shoes would help a lot. She is too gorgeous to not get a second opinion!

Lets hope that time and Mother Nature helps this little one - and I'm sure she will do her very best for your sweet filly.
default_yes.gif

Sending you ((((HUGS))))

Thank you all so much! She is precious and very loveable! She will have a home with us, no matter what she looks like.
default_yes.gif
There are some wonderful supplements for joints out there, so I expect I will put her on some when she is old enough.

Oh Pam, I am so sorry. She is so cute- such pretty markings and a cute little girl. Well, since you have Forrest Gump, perhaps this one should be called Jenny, I do hope she straightens up some- I have no experience with that at all.

oh Laruie what a perfect little name for her
default_smile.png

Pam she is so gorgeous and sending you massive hugs and prayers that your little gorgeous girl straightens out beautifully!!

she is absoloutly stunning with those markings!! one very very special little girl!!

keep positive my friend, big hugs going your way!

Thinking of you!

Latest posts

Back