Ladykminiature, IM BACK !!!!!!!!!! Val Foaled!!!!!! filly Mandy colt 5/2....and more to come

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3.30am I am glad to see you checking cos Libby seems to be in a pain and she is being mean to baby

Many congratulations Liz - hope all is well with Libby!
default_yes.gif

WOW. Poor little baby is really having to do everything herself. No love from Momma. Everytime she approaches that hind foot comes out and wards her away. Poor little one is just standing by herself in the middle of the stall. Momma even kicked at the foal in the next stall who approached the divider.

Has baby been eating? That is the saddest little one I've seen in a while -- just standing and watching her momma, but not getting closer. Oh Liz, she's just precious -- but looks so dejected.

Just saw her limping Liz - front left. Perhaps momma landed a kick on her little leg or she's just getting her footing with her new little legs!

She's walking around now, so I guess it was just learning her legs -- but she's sure staying away from momma -- half a stall away.

Come on momma -- give that pretty little girl some nuzzling and love!

Very pretty markings!!

Last edited:
So glad to see you in with the little one. Momma is standing very patiently now that you're there, and hopefully this shy little girl will get it all figured out where her "bottle" is.

Friendly little baby -- coming for scratches already!!

Oh this is just so sad, poor little girl. Hopefully Libby will soon come round - cant remember, is she a maiden mare Liz?

What time did Libby have her foal? I was watching last night and then just checked in this afternoon and there is a baby in there!! But after reading the posts from this morning it seems Miss Libby is not being a good Mommy?? Hopefully that has changed this afternoon! They look to be OK now, how are they doing Liz?

It is the saddest thing ever -- this little one needs someone's arms around her to tell her that we are happy she joined this world, and not everyone will treat her as shamelessly as her momma is. Baby even got kicked in the head by momma.

She needs some good snuggles and scratches and kisses.

WELCOME to the world little one. Your Aunties all love you -- even if momma isn't so sure about you !!!!! Hopefully momma will start feeling better and come around and give that baby some visable loving. I want to see her with her head held high, and happy, rather than just head down looking so sad.

Auntie Diane might just have to come steal you away little one!

I have been away for 3 hours at work but before that I hadn't seen her down resting at all, has anyone seen if she has learnt how to rest her little legs? Libby seems better with her now and in the last 30 mins I haven't seen her biting or kicking, fingers crossed she will finally bond with her gorgeous little baby
default_pray.gif

I'm home and seeing baby eat for the first time without momma stomping her foot, kicking or moving away!! YEAH!!!!!!!!

Aww congrats Liz! Naughty Libby, is she better with her little baby now? Have to get the camera up to take a peek at the new little one
default_smile.png
did the owners get to come watch?
default_smile.png

Boy did Libby make us work for this one.........here's a play by play.......

Did a 8 pm check and Libby had a no chance of foaling, no signs and milk still testing low, then remembering what Renee said in the afternoon ...lol...decided to do a 11:45 pm check and behold Libby tested ready---8 to 11:43 she went from no way to get out the way--

Called owner to have her watch and decide if she wanted to come or wait because Libby really was showing no signs other then went down a total of 3times before water broke....once water broke waited for Libby to push and look for the sac but after a couple of good pushes and nothing came I went fishing....and found NOTHING, no legs, no head nothing....so I grabbed the zylosine which is a mild sedative and gave 1cc and went back in to search for legs and a head...found one leg and pulled to out just to the opening of the vulva and tied a soft dog leash around that foot and handed it off to Jackie, went back in to search for the other leg, found that leg but it was bent at the knee with hoof along the foals belly, tried several times to bring the leg down and out but mare would start pushing and my arms were already tired and sore from the pelvic bone so Jackie and I switched places ahe she went to retrieve the leg, Jackie did manage to pull leg through the canel in between the contractions.....so now we had two front feet just at the opening of the vulva both with soft leashes so we wouldn't lose them while we went to get the head once again Jackie and I traded off and back in I went....the head was tucked down and nose pointing to the middle foe the mare stomach which ment I had to find the mouth and try to push the dome of the head back and pull the mouth up....by this time vet was already in route and decided to walk mare till vet arrived drugs I gave we're starting to ware off and mare was getting awfully dry inside so we went walking as Libby pushed trying to get baby out, I pushed trying to keep baby in....vet arrived and administered Libby the good drugs and then the vet went in, but Libby was still contracting really bad so more meds were given, finally Libby went night night and vet took over from there...vet went in and had to get on her belly to push foals head and body all the way back towards mares head and then pull head up and bring to the birth canel once the head was there then we had to pull on the leashes to bring the feet back and once we had two feet and a head vet and I pulled baby out.....yes the filly was not active so we picked up the back legs and hung baby for a few seconds to get the fluids to drain from the nose and then wa la baby started moving.....yea so back to mare vet checked internally no tears felt so some heavy meds were given and mare and filly are both doing good .......now it just getting Libby to understand she is a mom.......

Thank you so much for the step by step. Just perfect!

Certainly would have been a loss without the recheck! These mares are going from not ready to ready so fast this year! GREAT save!!!

Mom seems much better with baby now, and baby seems much happier than she did earlier today. So happy to see her moving about and acting like a happy foal!!

CONGRATULATIONS on a great save!

OMG Liz, what you all went through......but you all saved that precious filly and Libby!! My mouth was open I think the whole time I was reading your post of the play by play!!
default_yes.gif

Well no wonder Libby has been a little off with her mothering, poor thing she went through a lot too! Do you think Libby was still having some pain or not feeling well and that contributed to her stand offish behavior toward her baby??

How are they both doing tonight?

You certainly are Libby and her filly's Guardian Angel!!!!! Something told you to go back out and check on her and you saved Libby and brought that sweet filly into this world!! You are a WONDERFUL caregiver to those minis!!!
default_yes.gif

Thank goodness for Renee! lol
default_hypocrite.gif
and for you, Liz! gosh you are so amazing! If it didn't cost so much I'd have you on speed dial for any foalings I had! massive pat on the back and hugs for you girls again
default_smile.png
so glad that all went well. Love the little filly, she is too cute! running around and mum seems happier with her now which is great!

well done again
default_firstprize.gif

default_firstprize.gif
Holy cow! What a close call! Libby and her filly are sooooo lucky to have you, and a fast response from the vet too! Congratulations on your special little miracle foal, she's beautiful and worth all that you went through. Sounds like Libby is on the mend as well. Hooray!!!

OH MY GOSH!!!!!! My internet has been down for over a week
default_closedeyes.gif
and look what happens!!! Kudos to Liz and Jackie.........You ladies are now my HEROES
default_firstprize.gif
I would have had to have a good stiff drink after that,and I don't even drink...
default_whistling.gif

Latest posts

Back