On Target Miniatures - foal updates December 2014

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diane- Most of the 4-Hers are 9-11 years old and as good as Buckshot is, I don't want to take any chances. He does get attention from one of the grandfathers though, which seems like a good match. Besides, once Max was on the ground we realized how valuable Buckshot was as a stallion and we don't like to take even the small risks you take going to a horse show. And nothing Buckshot has produced since Max has led us to change our mind about that! Our plan will be to show his foals as much as possible.

There is always a risk that a horse can get sick from something they pick up at a show, or get hurt, and of course there is always the (small I hope) risk of a trailer accident. Yes, it is an admittedly small risk, but we only have to think about Max to recognize how it might affect us. And we are fairly sure that one of our lost foals was due to Rhino that was picked up at a show. Of course that wouldn't have the same effect on a stallion, but since Buckshot stays home so much, he might be more likely than the ones that show all the time to pick something up. We should at least try to get some photos of him anyway; he does look good.

May I ask what risks a person takes by showing? I haven't shown since I was a kid, and it was just dogs.
When I was sending out horses to show, I always had them vaccinated just before show season -- they got a 5-6 way, West Nile, Rhino (or pneumabort if a mare), ands Strangles. Never had one catch anything, but made sure they got vaccinated JUST BEFORE they were sent out to the trainers.

We learned the hard way that the Rhino flu shots need to be repeated every 2-3 months. Their other vaccinations lasted longer so everyonel got what our vet recommended for spring and fall, including strangles, tetanus, rabies, and West Nile.

would love to see some piccy's of Buckshot please Mary! :D

very scary!

question for you Mary
default_smile.png
two of my mares will be going to studs later this year, should I make sure I vaccinate them both before taking them to the studs? and is there a waiting period before the vaccine is effective?

Cassie - that is the kind of question I would ask a vet, especially since diseases vary by region and continent!

I would also talk to the vet about which vaccines to give, but yes, I would vaccinate about a month before them leaving the farm, giving them time to be protected from a new environment and new possibilities for illness.

Also ask the breeders Cassie, my vet and I drew up a list of vacc. and tests to give to people to do before they brought mares to me. Australia will have different vacc than here so I can't tell you what they will be apart from Rhino of course.

Also you might want to prepare a quaranteen area for the girls to go to when they return to make sure they don't pass anything on that they might have picked up.

I had never considered those things. I do believe in the shots though. Two years ago, there was a virus that was going around here that was picked up at a horse show in the southern US now that I think about it. I had forgotten about it. Horses were dying. Events were shut down like crazy here in Washington State. I remember deciding not to take my horse out in public that year. Thankfully that virus was short lived, but still, 8 wks is too long for any virus in my opinion! I wish they'd all die as soon as they popped up (the virus)!

I remember that. It was discovered to have come from the stable area, I believe. Something that was "growing" in the stall area and very contagious. I can't remember what it was, but as you said, several horses died from it.

Always best when sending a horse somewhere to make sure they are vaccinated for their protection. Or when getting a new horse on your farm, to quarantine them for several weeks to be sure they are not carrying something that could infect your horses.

I know many people don't vaccinate because their horses never leave their own property, but when I had mares coming in yearly from outside to breed to my stallions, they had to have certain vaccinations in addition to clean cultures before they were allowed on the farm. And during those years, I kept up with vaccinations like crazy on my own horses, just to make sure they were protected.....just in case!

we had something similar called EI or equine influenza, many horses died from it
default_sad.png
Penny got it while she was pregnant with her first foal
default_sad.png
luckily her and her foal survived though she rejected him and he had to be hand raised. she was a perfect mum for her second foal though which is good.

Thanks so much for the advice
default_smile.png
oh and great tip about the quarantine
default_smile.png
thanks heaps renee!!! :D

Thought it was time for some new pics of the foals, plus the stallion re-arrangement. Our stallion Buckshot has been in a turnout by himself since he was about 9 months old and is only hand bred. His large yearling gelding son Clyde has been in an adjacent turnout..... until about a week ago when Clyde somehow got UNDER the fence and in with his Dad. First I knew about it was a phone call from our helper Stephanie who saw them run by the stall she was cleaning and thought I should know. I went running out to see how bad it was, and.... lo and behold, the two were getting along like the best of buddies and obviously both were VERY happy!! We have left them together during the day ever since and they even eat hay together and both fit in a 6X8' stall, like when it poured today! I have rarely seen two horses get along this well and only wish we had done this sooner!! It may only work because Buckshot knows Clyde is his son, but it seems to work.

The foals have been clipped - you can see below how difficult that was - and seem to play constantly!! They are also getting basic training, and lots of attention. It is very hard to get photos of them because they come over as soon as they see a camera! But Luna loves the blue water tub.

P1100844.JPG

P1100652.JPG

Jake_leading_2 mo.jpg

Luna_7_10_drinking.JPG

Wow! Clyde looks like a giant next to his Dad. Love seeing the children getting all the hands on learning and what a great experiences for the foals. Looks like the making for some very well rounded children and foals. I love your program.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everytime I see them they are more beautiful!!

I have great luck with all my boys...all being turned out together in a bachelor herd when they are not breeding. They establish their "pecking order" and then they just eat and play! Glad it's working out for you too. And boy! Clyde is a beautiful BIG boy!!

Oh brilliant Mary! What good furkids - all due to your great handling.
default_thumbup.gif

Do you realise how long it is since you last posted pics of your fabulous chips (July was the last post here - where does the time go!)? I think we are due for an update. Please.
default_yes.gif

Sorry about not updating on here, but I do update all the time on FB and there is another thread on here about weaning where I posted some pics.

Updates: 2012 foals: Snappy went to her new home this month - just across town!!! I could not ask for a better home and have gotten updates and photos already. Bunny was shown earlier this month in a Youngster Division with 10 horses -all sizes, but the others were all 3 year olds and of course, she is a yearling. I am SO proud of her placing in all 3 classes, including second place in trail in hand! Clyde has not been shown yet because there hasn't been time or room on the trailer. He does load fine though. Bunny's photo is recent, unclipped, showing how dark she is right now. She was almost white this summer. Clyde's photo by Lesley Alexander from summer

Jake & Luna handled weaning with no problems and are looking good. See below for recent pics.

The 4-H Club: All 3 minis that were in training to drive last year and have been hooked to cart and their training continues. With close supervision, the members have even driven two of them (the 3 year olds) and someone else took a lesson with Sox, Dancer (Jake's mom) is back in driving training and a 4-H project again. The Club is also planning to make and sell 2014 calendars with photos of the minis and Club activities, as a community service project with proceeds going to the local children's cancer hospital. We are excited about the new 4-H year just started, with 2 new members (we lost 2) and adding Toffee (!!) and maybe Mira as project minis. Thanks for asking!

Bunny_dark_2013.jpg

Clyde_2.jpg

Jake_show_halter_9_13_13.jpg

Luna_10_23_1.jpg

Sounds as though things have been pretty busy for you Mary - no change there then LOL!! The furkids look fantastic and well done to both Bunny for her show success and to the driving chips for their progress.

So glad to hear that gorgeous little Snappy has found such a good home and that they are going to keep in contact - maybe we shall get to see some more pic of her later on as she grows up.
default_yes.gif

Wishing you all the very best for 2014!

Latest posts

Back