Ladykminiature, IM BACK !!!!!!!!!! Val Foaled!!!!!! filly Mandy colt 5/2....and more to come

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok this is is probably a dumb question but
default_unsure.png
.......if a mare is way over due can she be induced? I would think it is not good for the mare or the foal to go too far after due date.
You know,that is a very good question..

I'm not sure either, gosh that bug is annoying lol Liz said she is going to go get it
default_smile.png
just as she says that it flies away! annoyance, sorry Liz.

11.30 am approx and Mandy standing quietly, snoozing.

Yes mares can be induced, but you have to be very sure that the mare is ready/close to foaling and not just do it because you think she has gone over her dates.

Renee had Britt induced last year by prior arrangement with her vet as Britt had lost her previous foals at foaling and Renee wanted a vet in attendance this time. But they waited until Britt showed all the classic signs that her pregnancy had gone full term. I'm sure Renee will answer this for you in more detail in the morning when she logs in.
default_yes.gif

Thanks Anna, yes nowadays mares can easily be induced if there is a valid reason. Usually the mares milk is tested to see if she is ready. As Anna said I had a mare that had lost several foals. The last one was due to the foal being in a dog sitting position, I called the vet but he arrived 5 minutes too late to save the foal:( I was very mad as I had warned him in the morning that she would be foaling soon and he promised he would stay close. I promised her I wouldn't put her in foal again but I changed vets and my new lady is amazing, she assured me it would be no problem and so I tried one last time to give my girl a live baby. I tested her milk daily and as soon as she looked close I called my vet. she told me to keep her active and walking and that she was on her way. She tested her milk again and confirmed she was ready. She was induced with oxyticina and foaled within 10 minutes.

3.10 am and Mandy is now up

Wow Renee what a great story.....nice to have a vet that will do that.......mine prob would to.

As far as Mandy goes, we are the only ones that know she's past due...lol I think she or baby thinks they have another month to go sheis in a holding pattern so it looks like I got another Bree on my hands just hoping this one turns out better.....

Hi Mandy, checking in to see how you are tonight!?
default_yes.gif
I see you are laying down flat, I guess you are just resting!
default_wink.png
Maybe you will have your
default_517.gif
soon.... right!!?? I will say a
default_pray.gif
for you and your
default_517.gif
tonight!!!

Yea right mistysmom ...lol well same old news Mandy same, don't know what she's waiting for...

Oh Val (third mare on cam) has started with a stiffel issue so you might see her gimp around her stall and I do have the back door open so she can move....

I have one limping around here too. My little dwarf Josie has an abscess in her hoof. The farrier has checked her and found the sore spot but he can not actually get to it to break it open. Now using Epson Salts to try and draw it out. She is limping but still acting her Sassy old Self!!!!!
default_yes.gif

WOW is right! I think today would be a gorgeous day for another baby!! Since Misty graced us with her little filly -- I'm thinking we need another one just to keep up our "2-a-day" that we seem to have going on!!

Come on little momma!!

WOW is right! I think today would be a gorgeous day for another baby!! Since Misty graced us with her little filly -- I'm thinking we need another one just to keep up our "2-a-day" that we seem to have going on!! Come on little momma!!
I so agree Diane common Mandy lets gooooooooooo

12.30am and she's just grazing quietly!! Come on Mandy - no more filling one end unless you push us a foal out of the other end!!

2.00 am and all is quiet so far

2.05 am Mandy went down, hd a quick roll and then back up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mandy just gone down sternal, and the lights have just come on so I guess its checking time
default_smile.png
(Maybe Mandy thinks if she lies down they won't check her lol,

oh no a roll and up and waiting at the gate lol

Latest posts

Back