Katie on Cam :) ~ Its Filly! pics pg30

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how many days is she now Holly? I keep looking at her and thinking she is so close to foaling, but she could technically go for a little while longer yet LOL
default_frusty.gif

Dream's wound looks great -she really is healing well now!
default_thumbup.gif

Saying prayers for your gelding - reading that article, is there anything you can give him to build his immune system to help him fight the infection himself? Also very interesting what they say about anti-b's - just like with strangles (for instance), many people think, me included having had the experience years ago, that anti-b's should be withheld until abcesses burst because if given earlier they can drive the infection 'inwards' and simply delay its return.

Anna, i think that is exactly what happened. When this whole thing started with my gelding, he had a small wound on his coronet. Its was a very small abcess, and he was limping, so we drained flushed and gave him a round of pen. After that pen he started limping again and we noticed his armpit was swollen. Assumed at this point it was an injury. After several weeks, the abcess appeared, we lanced and flushed. At that time then Vet recommended a round of uniprim. He had a very small lump in his chest. Once the uniprim was gone, took a week or more and now this lump in his chest is developing. Again we will wait till it abcesses, then lance and flush. NO anti B this time.

He has lost weight, muscle tone and yet is eating fine. Drinking fine. I really hope this is the last one. The biggest strain has been keeping it contained so it wont spread to the others. I was really worried with Dream having an open wound.

Anna If you have an idea on building his immune system, I would love to hear it. I honestly dont know what I can do to build it.. He is on 12% pellets, beet pulp, timothy/ alfalfa pellets, along with coastal hay. He has access to a redmon rock, which is salt/mineral. Fresh water and clean bedding. I do let him out to graze a separate area from the others. I do give him probios after each antibiotic. As well as when I de worm them.

Sorry about the long story
default_smile.png
And I appreciate yall caring . PF is a nightmare for horses. I hope someday a vaccine can be developed.

Holly, I have done a bit of Googling about immune boosting herbs, but not very helpful, as those that might help would not be the sort of 'taste' to appeal to a horse!!

Here in the UK our agricultural feed stores have sections for horses, dogs and cats, and in the horse section they have many different tubs' of herbs for various types of problem. If you have anything similar then I suggest you look for a mixture that specifically covers the immune system - probably have garlic and cloves amongst the contents (clove is supposed to be very good!). Anyway it's worth a try if you can find something extra to give him as it sounds as though he is getting plenty of food for his normal needs, from what you posted.

I also think you are correct on two counts. It is highly possible that the original bug got into his system via that first wound, but the dose of pen started the damage to his immune system (as any anti-b's will do), then he had another lot for the next abcess. I had the same thing happen with my old G/Dane, before I knew better! She had an infection (fungal and bacterial ) caused by a small cut on her paw which flared up due to her licking it continually. Off to the vets - course of anti-b's! She seemed to get a bit better but some three weeks later it was back with a vengance. More anti-b's, stronger this time!! Again it improved for a longer time, but it came back, spread all over her foot and even transferred to the skin round her lower jaw and muzzle, - vet said that it was getting so deep seated on her paw that it was highly possible that it would get into the bones of her foot and she may lose her toes!!! He suggested a course of the strongest anti-b's that he could give, but by a lucky chance (cant remember where) i read an article about Tea Tree oil and its ability to cure fungal infections. I got hold of a bottle of the type of TT oil that you can use direct on the skin and 'bathed' her with it twice a day on her foot and round her muzzle. Within days the 'angry' look had died away and 10 days later everything was healed. BUT I should have continued with the TT a bit longer (didn't know!) and two weeks later a small area flared again. More TT, and kept it going for nearly three weeks. This time it worked and it never came back! My vet did say that he was reluctant to give her that third dose of pen/whatever as every dose of anti-b's can remain in the system for nearly three months, so second or later dosing shouldn't be necessary and could cause immune problems!!

Of course I'm not suggesting that Tea Tree Oil would help your boy, just imparting the info about anti-b's - sometimes I think vets are too quick to use anti-b's for everything, which means that a lot of our animals are themselves becoming immune to them, then stronger ones are needed the next time around??

Will be saying prayers for your little man - hopefully this time you can get it sorted for him, bless him!
default_yes.gif

Anna, thank yo! Funny because the ointment I use to treat the wounds has tea tree oil in it
default_smile.png
I will look into some clove for his immune system for sure.

As for Katie she seems a bit fuller tonight, however we had a bad storm roll through. lightning hit the tree out fron taking out my computer and the dazzle that transfers the video to the computer. I am not sure just yet but it may have taken out my cable and barn cam. Hubby is getting a new dazzle tomorrow and we hope thats all we need to get back up. Meanwhile Cam is off line. I have an old baby moniter I am using to watch her, but with out the dazzle I cant stream it! UGH!!

On the better note, were getting rain! And for that I am thankful as its been so very dry here
default_smile.png

I will update after 10 pm check...Thanks yall for everything
default_smile.png

OH NO!!! no katie cam
default_sad.png
naughty lightning!! you guys stay safe! your not anywhere near any nasty torandoes I hope!!

oh yay you must have gotten our rain
default_smile.png
more then happy for you to have it LOL its finally a nice sunny day here though still pretty cold LOL

katie, now you hold on from having that baby until the camera is back up and running ok!!!! thanks
default_smile.png

stay safe guys
default_smile.png

Thanks Cassie
default_smile.png
worst come to worst I should have a cam working tomorrow, even if its not the hard wired one. The wireless is not as clear but its better than nothing!

I PRAY that my barn cam and cable are ok!

I pray that its ok too!!! I miss being able to watch Katie while I'm doing my work...
default_sad.png
tell her to hold on until Auntie Cassie can watch her again!!! :D please? lol

Oh shucks! what a bummer
default_sad.png
Sorry to hear that Holly, I always seem to loose something when a storm hits here too. Once lightening struck the door bell and we had the telephone system so we could lift up the phone and ask who was at the gate, well Matteo and I were sitting at the kitchen table and as the lightening struck the door bell, the phone flew off of the wall and nearly knocked me out, with that Matteo shot under the table and wouldn't come out LOL.

Katie keep your legs crossed cos the Aunties want to watch you foal.
default_smile.png

Golly! I hope you find that the damage to your system etc is minimal and you can get the cam up and running for tonight.

Stay safe!
default_yes.gif

Oh Gosh Cant Imaging being chased by my own house phone!!

This am katies udder is fuller again, still about the same. Hubby will be home 330 with my Dazzle, and I am really hoping thats all we need...
default_smile.png

Sorry yall. It fried my camera also. I need to order a new barn cam. I have the co ax cable, and will get new ends too. For now the wireless is up and running, but its just terrible! Better than nothing I suppose
default_smile.png
!

Last check Katie seems much less wide udder still not there so now I am hoping to have her hold on again till I can get a new camera!

"a lot less wide" - sounds as though the foal has dropped??? I wouldn't be bothering with her udder as that can increase as she foals. Will she let you check the colour inside her vulva? That changing to a deep red would be the sign to look for.
default_yes.gif

ok yall, I went to the local radio shack and got a wired cam, its not as ood as my other but will be much better than the wireless! I will be installig it so we should have a clear pic in the next few hours!!

Anna, her Vulva has changed several times from pink to red to pink, also from tight to loosey goosey. So far in her past 3 foalings she has always developed her 'foaling' udder, not to say she will this time lol.

I did feel bumps in her flank so I am not convinced the foal is completely lined up yet.. Last time I foaled her out I felt the foal bump in her 'hips' next to her tail head, that was pretty amazing!

yay for camera being up : ) i'm guessing you haven't turned it on for the night yet... whats the time where you are right now?

sounds like she is getting close
default_smile.png
maybe within the next week
default_smile.png
default_thumbup.gif

I'll be watching again
default_smile.png

Hi Yall Katie is doing great, same same same right now!

Camera is back on!!!!

I saw you in with Katie
default_smile.png
:) YAY!!! oh I still see you in with katie LOL or someone up the ladder anyway LOL any changes tonight? I want her to either have this baby tonight or next week! as I'm going to be away this weekend and I won't be able to watch
default_thumbdown.gif

Latest posts

Back