Magic Marker 2018

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor Flash didn't look happy yesterday and during the night. Noticed he stood around with his head down. Never laid down yesterday and took a couple hours last night before he finally laid down. He was do tired he stayed down for several hours. When he finally rised, he was very wobbly.

I noticed seeing him pee bit had not seen him poop since the first day. We gave him an enema and nothing happened. Gave him another and he passed some poop with fur in it. He was blocked up from digesting his moms fur.

We are keeping an eye on him and will give further enemas as needed. Hoping he gets to feeling better soon.

He is not running around but looked a lot better today. I think his mom also stepped on a back leg, so he is limping in the front and the back. He can now lay down and get up on his own.

He is more alert and walks around versus standing with his nose to the ground. 

Should have our last foal tonight. Maybe that will perk him up. The other three foals are buddies and out in pasture, so he is by himself right now.

Well finally found a nice amount of foal poop. Soft with no hair. He seems more subdued today. Still nursing but standing around with his head down.

As for Feather, she held on. Her bag is huge and rock hard. Easily express sticky fluid. Keeping a close eye on her. 

She would rather be in her stall but just grazes it. The barn is warm so made her go out. This is her bag an hour ago.

20180524_105811.jpg

We have a colt and are done for 2018.

Sire was a 100% filly producer until tonight.

Was a text book delivery. He has 7" cannons but looks all legs. Not exactly sure of color but think black or smoky black tobiano. Will know better once dry and outside. Has one blue eye so either got LWO+ from sire or splash from dam. Will get tested.

20180524_203944-1.jpg

20180524_204128-1.jpg

Sadly Flutterby's colt died during the night.

Feathers baby is doing fantastic. Will get outside pictures later. Spent the morning looking for our LGD. He was acting weird lastnight and was nowhere to be found this am. Didn't come when called. He showed up from the neighbors when I was turning Flutterby out so could dispose of her colt.

We are left with two colts and two fillies. This colt does have two blue eyes. Will have to test to see if he has one or both LWO and splash.

Here are dry pictures of Patches.

We are not sure of his color.

Dam is black tobiano splash sabino

Sire is smoky black sabino LWO+

Maybe someone can give us an idea what color he is 

20180525_140735-1.jpg

20180525_141129-1.jpg

Here are dry pictures of Patches.

We are not sure of his color.

Dam is black tobiano splash sabino

Sire is smoky black sabino LWO+

Maybe someone can give us an idea what color he is 

View attachment 36759

View attachment 36760
If both parents are black, he can only be black or red, and he's definitely not red.   Only testing will let you know if he got his sire's cream gene, making him a smoky black.  Black foals are often born a weird mousy color, and sabino if he has it can cause some weird color shifting.

I would say silver black.  Those white eyelashes make me think silver.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say silver black.  Those white eyelashes make me think silver.
With those eyelashes, your probably right, Mona, but with the listed parent colors it's not possible, so did the mailman visit?

MMM didn't you say a silver stallion got in with mares while they were in heat? Looks like he got another mare before you spotted him

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the silver black stallion cover Wind while I was running out there. He ran to the upper pasture before any other mares were involved.

He was not put in the yard again. Rohan is good but not that good. He can not cover two mares in a five minute time frame. I saw him go under and I ran out. By the time I made it through the gate he was covering Wind. Since I was coming after him he ran up to the top part of pasture. I cornered him their and led him out.

Feathers dam is silver bay but Feather did not get the silver. Ticket does not carry silver either.

Silver can't "skip" with black, so if mare is just plain black, she doesn't have silver; and if sire is plain black he can't carry silver, so foal shouldn't look/be silver, but those white eyelashes scream silver (and without white around the eyes, it shouldn't be pinto pattern causing it either).   Not sure what to tell you on this one.

He has no dorsal strip and neither parent has dun.

The mousey color looks like he will be black but both eyelashes are white.

From what I can see in the pic of the foal nursing, mom looks pinto.  Has she been tested for silver?  Maybe she carries??

Dam is a black tobiano splash sabino. Her dam was a silver bay but she is a true black.

Sire is a smoky black sabino frame. Neither parent carries silver.

I can get you pictures of sire and dam tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back