Niobe Foaling Thread IT'S A... FOALED DAY 320 6/9/14

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tab

Reaction score
Hi Forum! It has been quite awhile since I have been on here. I have been so busy and time is flying. I hardly know what day it is lately. I don't know if this is the right place to post, as I do not have a barn cam, but I would like your opinions. Niobe was bred on a very lousy heat at the end of June/beginning of July 2013. The stallion was more interested in herding her than breeding her and she didn't stand well. 2.5 weeks later she came in a terrific standing heat.The stallion was intensely interested and she stood well up until the very last day.

Her belly has looked ready for a few months now, but her udder is just starting to really fill up during the last few days. Tonight her udder felt somewhat tense but still looks wrinkly. However, her vulva was very swollen. I could attribute this to pressure or storms coming through.

Breeding history? She foaled Romeo at 327 days gestation (last breeding dates). Her mother always foaled after 330, or way past 330 (first foal was 349 days) but different mare and stallion. Romeo, Niobe's first foal is almost 33" at 4. I sometimes feel that if the mare is smaller, carrying a larger foal, they tend to foal earlier. As opposed to a large mare giving birth to a tiny foal. The mare carrying the tiny foal has a little more space to cook them longer.

What do you think? Do I start staring now, as she is past day 300 first breeding (as of Apr 28th)? Or do I wait to stare for second breeding dates. Day 300 2nd breeding begins May 20th.

Today would be 294 2nd breeding. If we are counting 1st breeding today would be day 316. What do you think?

I know what I think. She's going to have me guessing up until she foals! She will be 327 on June 16, but I have a feeling that she isn't going to make me wait that long. Thank you for your thoughts on this, she is a very special mare who I delivered 11 years ago this month.
929c3746-9b3e-4ea0-b3e5-5f5738064b64_zps06314fe5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey welcome, Yes you have come to the right place. I agree you wont be waiting much longer.

For the more experienced on here, can you grab a couple of pics for us all. One looking from behind , and one of her udder and Vulva.

She is a lovely Mare and looking forward to seeing what she had been hiding.

Best of luck
default_thumbup.gif

You have come to the right place, as no cam is required!

You start watching her now. I'll be interested in seeing a picture of her from the back, down at her level looking down her sides, so we can see how baby is riding, but from the picture above, it looks like baby is forward of center, so you're watching her carefully from now on is very important. If the picture from the back is showing her slab-sided, I'd say that baby is lined up. Udders can grow quickly....or take about 3-4 weeks to fill (average), but by her looks in this first picture, I'd be watching her very carefully from now on.

She's a pretty girl, and we're all excited to see what she's hiding!

What a lovely mare!! I would say that she took to that first covering from the shape of her tummy - dont forget that udders can fill at foaling time. I agree that you should be watching her VERY CLOSELY from now on!
default_yes.gif

Thanks all. I will get some more pictures this weekend. She hasn't dropped yet. She really has me guessing. Most often my mares have settled on one heat, so I know with certainty dates. Thank you!

Today would be 297 2nd breeding. She is carrying deep now but she is a small mare. It would be ok if foal is lining up pre 300 because there probably is no other option; foal is running out of space, Vulva is not as swollen. I noticed on those days that were very hot her vulva was very swollen, and her udder was swollen. Udder is still wrinkly but is filling. Lots of pre-udder edema. She is deeper than she is wide. Lots of udder to go... so I'm leaning toward second breeding dates. Those full moon, hot/stormy days had her so swollen in the back that she had me thinking it was first dates! I'm leaning toward 2nd dates now. What do you think?

day297_zps715f41d1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still leaning towards the first covering, and don't think you'll have long to wait. Baby is obviously forward of center, and she's looking good. Udder is visible from the back and filling nicely -- nipples separated. With a bit more filling they should begin pointing straight down. I really don't think you're looking at a July baby, but I can be wrong.

Anna, what do you think?

I totally agree with you Diane - that mare is well and truely dropped and forward looking so foal is already in position. Udders as we well know can finally fill at foaling. If she were mine I wouldn't let her out of sight during the day and I would be sitting right beside her all night! Baby could be here before you know it!
default_yes.gif

Thank you so much! I will be watching her closely!!! Love this mare!

Day 299 (2nd dates) Niobe is producing easy to express clear fluid. Her foal also seemed to be galloping with abandon. Poor Ni!

niobeday302_zpscaa30741.jpg

Here is Niobe yesterday and today. She had Romeo at 327 last cover. Her udder is just not there yet. More edema than udder. Clear milk still.

Her 4 y/o son still needing to shed and put on some finish:
f9d6766c-1a28-487e-9a94-7e0312375ad9_zps27e57a98.jpg

Shes looking Great , Im going on the first breeding Dates as she looks HUGE in the latest Pics. Best of luck for when the time arrives, looking forward to seeing what she has been preparing over the last 11 months
default_thumbup.gif

Reactions: Tab
Well, these new pictures confirm even more to me that she's on her first breeding dates. She's looking great, and it won't be long now!

What a handsome son she has!

Thank you. Romey is a love. Poor Ni was laying on her side today, not very comfortable for sure. I remember those days! Udder is filling, still clear
default_smile.png

Udder is quite full, but not the fullest possible. Very easily expressed clear milk. 329 1st dates, 307 2nd dates. She is rubbing her butt a lot today (pressure), waddles slowly, she's swollen in her backside and is cranky toward the other mares. Still has tail resistance. Flared nostrils and she's breathing heavier. Only lays on her side for short naps because of the discomfort. From my personal experience hot days will bring down the milk and make the backside swollen, then they can digress during cold weather. I am staying close by and cancelling an appointment made on Thurs. either way. We are thinking another 7 days is possible. My son is having a birthday and we think it is very possible she will foal at the beginning of June! It could easily be sooner!

I think you are going to have some exciting news for us all very shortly.

Hats off to you for cancelling your appointment to be with her during these final stages.

Best of Luck
default_thumbup.gif

Latest posts

Back