HELP IS THIS NORMAL!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A real simple way to test if it’s true wax. Try to express milk to ph test. If you can’t, it’s not wax. If you can and it tests high it’s not wax. If it tests low, then it may be wax. But at this point she would have been waxing for almost a week which is an unusual length of time for her not to have foaled yet. You did the right thing getting a vet check. Now you can stop the wondering game which I know from experience is miserable. Plus it allows you to prepare more certainly. Hopefully they don’t make you wait too long! And don’t forget, some can build an udder literally overnight or even right after they foal.

Last edited:
A real simple way to test if it’s true wax. Try to express milk to ph test. If you can’t, it’s not wax. If you can and it tests high it’s not wax. If it tests low, then it may be wax. But at this point she would have been waxing for almost a week which is an unusual length of time for her not to have foaled yet. You did the right thing getting a vet check. Now you can stop the wondering game which I know is miserable. Plus it allows you to prepare more certainly.
I’ve never used those ph strips could you tell me where I can buy some what are they called, the procedure to do the test and what the numbers are and mean? I’d like to try it actually I see so many people on here use them.
My biggest challenge will be her cooperation she’s such a sweet girl usually but today tried to bite me when I was trying to take a pic of her udder, also had a meltdown when I lifted her tail.

You can buy them pretty much at any pool store and many supermarkets. I get them from Walmart. I know you said you removed the stallion May 30th, any chance they shared a fence? And they don’t have access to fescue correct? I did not realize they were a minimum of 320 days. I thought all your mares were about the same gestation. So now moving to see why there is not much of an udder yet.

You can buy them pretty much at any pool store and many supermarkets. I get them from Walmart. I know you said you removed the stallion May 30th, any chance they shared a fence? And they don’t have access to fescue correct? I did not realize they were a minimum of 320 days. I thought all your mares were about the same gestation. So now moving to see why there is not much of an udder yet.
They did share a fence line but I never saw him trying that. This is also a different stallion from my other mare who lost her baby.
These two mares were blood tested one was positive one was negative.
In late July my other stallion broke down the fence line and I caught him covering my mare (the one who lost the baby) you could tell by her messy rear that it probably wasn’t the first time. I ran to my other girls they were in that pasture too, the ones I’m posting about now, lifted their tails it was completely clean looked untouched to me. I looked because I knew they were bred to my other stallion but didn’t know if they were pregnant yet it had only been two months. When i did have the blood test done a month later the chestnut came up positive there was no way it would have showed that already if it happened a month ago. As for my dun her negative was based on very low progesterone but she had high estrone sulfate so kinda confusing and wondering if the progesterone level was an error but I never thought of her as pregnant until like 2 weeks ago when I noticed body changes.
I hope you’re able to follow this soap opera LOL and yes no fescue at all I haven’t let them graze because I don’t know if our pastures contain wild fescue and I buy good hay and feed that’s not suppose to contain any fescue ugh makes me nervous as usual. Isn’t it common for maidens to not have a bag until labor onset or early after the birth?

Last edited:
Gotcha. No it’s not common. It happens occasionally so you can’t rule it out, but it is not common. Many of the stories you see of it happening there is 12 hrs between checks. An udder can change a LOT in 12 hrs. So that results in many people missing it change. But it does happen on occasion. And I know several people in this group have had it go from nothing to something to a foal very fast. Glad that you can rule out fescue. I’ve heard of them sneaking breedings through a fence unseen. But your dates sound pretty good. If they don’t foal before too long I’d be considering that possibility. My mares aren’t usually messy after breeding so that date would be interesting if you hadn’t already done a blood test. That does through a wrench in it. Many mares are going long this year so maybe they’ll stick to that trend. Or maybe they’ll break the mold and build an udder last minute. That’s what can be so frustrating about breeding minis. You have to prepare for every possibility however rare.

HI, I'm following your soap opera 🤣 as you say. Learning as I read. I fine it all interesting, as I know not a thing about pregnancies. What is the issue with fescue? Is it with pregnant minis or all ?

There is an endophyte fungus that is present in most fescue. If I bred mare eats it in the last trimester it can cause fescue toxicity. This can result in prolonged gestation, little to no udder development, and thickened amniotic sacs which make it very hard for the foal to break without help. So if there is a chance that they were on fescue (not in this case as it’s been confirmed they were kept off of it) you HAVE to be present in many cases to save the foal. You will likely have to have colostrum replacer and possibly milk replacer.

The pool strips are really easy to use. You need to either get a drop or two into a plastic cup of some kind or directly onto the strip, do not use your hand, it can effect the reading. Dip the part of the strip the is for pH. Every strip is i little different, they will tell you on the bottle how long to dip it for and when to read it. You can check the hardness as well. You have to dilute the milk for an accurate reading but you can do it without diluting and just look at whether the number is going up. The hardness goes up before the pH goes down. If they aren't ready the pH will be 8-9. As it drops they are getting closer, anywhere from 6 1/2 down and you should be on high alert. If you start getting 7 then keep a close watch, they can change very fast. Maybe baby test strips have the numbers and what they mean on their site if you google it.

There is an endophyte fungus that is present in most fescue. If I bred mare eats it in the last trimester it can cause fescue toxicity. This can result in prolonged gestation, little to no udder development, and thickened amniotic sacs which make it very hard for the foal to break without help. So if there is a chance that they were on fescue (not in this case as it’s been confirmed they were kept off of it) you HAVE to be present in many cases to save the foal. You will likely have to have colostrum replacer and possibly milk replacer.
Wow! Thank you for that information. That is good to know.

Reactions: Taz
Gotcha. No it’s not common. It happens occasionally so you can’t rule it out, but it is not common. Many of the stories you see of it happening there is 12 hrs between checks. An udder can change a LOT in 12 hrs. So that results in many people missing it change. But it does happen on occasion. And I know several people in this group have had it go from nothing to something to a foal very fast. Glad that you can rule out fescue. I’ve heard of them sneaking breedings through a fence unseen. But your dates sound pretty good. If they don’t foal before too long I’d be considering that possibility. My mares aren’t usually messy after breeding so that date would be interesting if you hadn’t already done a blood test. That does through a wrench in it. Many mares are going long this year so maybe they’ll stick to that trend. Or maybe they’ll break the mold and build an udder last minute. That’s what can be so frustrating about breeding minis. You have to prepare for every possibility however rare.
I’m so stumped yeah their udders still aren’t anything to cheer about. What i meant also by messy was they usually act all squirty and gross to the stallions so there’s stuff at least dried down their back legs and they were both so clean literally not a spot.
You said above the oozy teat could be an overzealous plugs whats that exactly and why does it occur?

The pool strips are really easy to use. You need to either get a drop or two into a plastic cup of some kind or directly onto the strip, do not use your hand, it can effect the reading. Dip the part of the strip the is for pH. Every strip is i little different, they will tell you on the bottle how long to dip it for and when to read it. You can check the hardness as well. You have to dilute the milk for an accurate reading but you can do it without diluting and just look at whether the number is going up. The hardness goes up before the pH goes down. If they aren't ready the pH will be 8-9. As it drops they are getting closer, anywhere from 6 1/2 down and you should be on high alert. If you start getting 7 then keep a close watch, they can change very fast. Maybe baby test strips have the numbers and what they mean on their site if you google it.
Thank you for all that info I’m gonna check Amazon maybe I can prime some :)

Reactions: Taz
I’m so stumped yeah their udders still aren’t anything to cheer about. What i meant also by messy was they usually act all squirty and gross to the stallions so there’s stuff at least dried down their back legs and they were both so clean literally not a spot.
You said above the oozy teat could be an overzealous plugs whats that exactly and why does it occur?

Gotcha. So as I believe you know, all mares have plugs in their teats. It helps prevent infection. When they get closer to foaling they can get pushed out or they fall out. I’m not exactly sure why some are bigger than others. Could be genetics or just environment. A lot of times when it’s yellow like that they call it fools gold. Because it does resemble wax. But it’s not true waxed colostrum. Here’s one of mine. She always gets bigger plugs once I start ph testing her too. This particular picture was 2ish weeks before she foaled. She’d had an udder for 1.5 months already too.

Attachments

• 1DC34DFE-2680-459B-A9E3-6E197B2F324A.png
    1DC34DFE-2680-459B-A9E3-6E197B2F324A.png
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 7
View attachment 46871View attachment 46870
Gotcha. So as I believe you know, all mares have plugs in their teats. It helps prevent infection. When they get closer to foaling they can get pushed out or they fall out. I’m not exactly sure why some are bigger than others. Could be genetics or just environment. A lot of times when it’s yellow like that they call it fools gold. Because it does resemble wax. But it’s not true waxed colostrum. Here’s one of mine. She always gets bigger plugs once I start ph testing her too. This particular picture was 2ish weeks before she foaled. She’d had an udder for 1.5 months already too.
Oh ok well that makes a lot of sense actually thanks!

[/QUOTE
So in reality how many days would it be when it would start to feel too long and at that point would maybe have to reconsider they got pregnant at another time which confuses me due to the pregnancy tests but still…I obviously know gestational length BUT coming from experienced breeders what’s considered not so “normal” length. Since i have two confirmed in foal there’s no way they both would follow the “not so norm” ya know? Although my Dun who initially came back negative could have gotten pregnant at another time I’m so confused😩and thanks for letting me pick your brain😂

I had one go 356 days:rolleyes:.
I still think it's all a guessing game, sorry. If you don't have foals by 335 or at least they don't look like their getting there then the later date when your other stud broke in is probably right.
Are you planning on gelding them? LOL. I snip everyone who comes on the property as soon as I can and I'm still having problems with oops babies🤦‍♀️. If you hear a thud it's me banging my head against a wall😂

Last edited:
I had one go 356 days:rolleyes:.
I still think it's all a guessing game, sorry. If you don't have foals by 335 or at least they don't look like their getting there then the later date when your other stud broke in is probably right.
Are you planning on gelding them? LOL. I snip everyone who comes on the property as soon as I can and I'm still having problems with oops babies🤦‍♀️. If you hear a thud it's me banging my head against a wall😂
😂hahahaha! The one that broke in was gelded less then a month later kid you not look at the time stamp on the pic🤣 The other is quite young thought he was going to be a double crypt but he did drop them, however when the vet was gelding the other they sedated him and could only palpate one testicles but he definitely had two down prior. They said give him until this following season and if not he has to go in and have it done at the equine hospital which sucks of course
I’ll just continue to watch crazily then at their udders like I’ve been doing😩6C1B083C-18D0-4D46-9F05-1D45D2529463.jpeg

Last edited:
I hate putting them through being gelded especially when they are older but it's much better for everyone. I see you definitely got 2 there 😁. I have one that didn't drop the second until he was 2, don't give up on that.
Don't take my word for it, I'm no pro, Elizabeth might have a better idea.

I hate putting them through being gelded especially when they are older but it's much better for everyone. I see you definitely got 2 there 😁. I have one that didn't drop the second until he was 2, don't give up on that.
Don't take my word for it, I'm no pro, Elizabeth might have a better idea.
Yeah this guy had two willing participants🏀🏀😂the other guy is uncooperative😅

Latest posts

Back