PEOPLE! Please look up words before you use them in an ad.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karin - NaKar Miniatures

Reaction score
I usually don't comment on things like this. I must be having one of those days PMS days where "little" things bother me, so I decided to post. I have seen quite a number of ads lately where the word - infamous - is used. I am assuming the people using this word to describe their horse really don't know what it means. Here is the definition from the dictionary:

INFAMOUS - 1. Having a bad reputation: NORTORIOUS. 2. Causing or deserving infamy.

3. LAW. Convicted of a crime, as treason or felony, that results in infamy.

For those that don't know what infamy, it is: 1. Evil fame or reputation. 2. The state of being infamous. 3. A publicly known criminal or evil act.

NOW, FOR THE LIFE OF ME, WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO USE THIS WORD TO DESCRIBE THEIR HORSE?
default_frusty.gif
:
default_frusty.gif
::frusty:

PLEASE FOLKS, LOOK UP A WORD BEFORE YOU USE IT!
default_whistling.gif
:

Okay, I am off my soap box.

SORRY EVERYONE, I JUST HAD TO VENT!
default_giveup.gif
: ______
default_rolleyes.gif
: ______
default_shutup.gif
:

Maybe that's what they really meant.
default_unsure.png
: If I was to ever sell Triggy, which there is no way I'd ever inflict the little piranna monster on an innocent person, I'd definately use that word do describe him! :lol:

Oh, oh I just have to add the other day I was going into their compound to play with them and a lady yelled to me, "You aren't going to let them out are you, I heard they are dangerous!" I looked quizzically at her and asked what have people been telling you? Turns out some well meaning folks say that about my new minis Alfie because he's so skittish and to keep straying visitors out of their pen and as a joke, but with Triggy that may not be so far fetched.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Last edited:
Maybe you're right, Shirley. Perhaps that word is just what they meant to use to describe the horse! :bgrin

Poor Tiggy! and he thought you loved him! LOL :lol:

I had someone come by one time and asked me if my horses were wild. I guess they saw me trying to catch one of them in the pasture. Since I had to walk around for a while before it would let me get it they assumed they were wild.
default_wacko.png
:

there a diffence though between what the word really means and what the word means to the general puplic. The word notorious was used in your post, well that means "well known, usually unfavorabliy." But that does not mean always. This word can be used as a bad thing or a good thing. To me that word is over used yes, it means to poloar exterms and should be used only for the best of the best, or the worst of the worst. not to try to start anything JMO

-Vanessa

Karen

I agree with you on this one. The butchering of the English language is terrible. People not only use words out of context but no one can spell anymore. I wonder if American schools even teach spelling anymore.

I wonder if American schools even teach spelling anymore.

Took the words right out of my mouth!!! :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

Liz R.

That reminds me of the ads I see where sellers advertise their horses as "arrogant" Since arrogant means "exaggerating or disposed to exagerate ones own worth or importance in an overbearing manner"

it sure doesn't make the horse sound good!! Mary

Took the words right out of my mouth!!! :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

Liz R.
AND MINE TOO! :new_shocked:

This Spell Checker for Internet Explorer takes just a few minutes to download. Try it! And I find that bookmarking my dictionary is very educational also. Kind of learn as you go!
default_yes.gif
:

Spell Checker

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm....good point! When I think of Infamous, I think of popular (such as known by all). Not necessarily a bad thing though. Anyone else?

And no...schools do not focus on grammer or spelling anymore. Or at least not in California! It was probably the least looked at thing when I was in school (and I was an A+ student), and now that I work at a Junior High, I definatley know that spelling is no longer the main priority. Makes you wonder where we will be in say another 20 years.

By the way, I am a good speller, I just sometimes get in too big of a hurry and my typing can't keep up.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. I guess those ads are meant to be impressive, but when some words get used all wrong they just end up sounding ridiculous.

Everyone, or nearly everyone, knows who Rowdy or Buckeroo are--I wouldn't think they need to be infamous, notorious or even immortal. :lol:

Hahahahaha, unless----- the ads ARE being truthful and they MEANT to use those words! :bgrin Ya never know! :new_shocked:

GO GET'M KARIN!!!!!!!!! :aktion033: That "infamous" word has been an object with me, as well. And the best one yet, is when you own a horse that has BUCK-E-ROO in your pedigree, and spell it BUCK--A--ROO. Only the most famous mini in the world I would imagine, outside of ORION LIGHT VANT HUTTENEST.

And now, that I have added my penny and a half, watch me make the biggest mistake and look like a nitwit in front of the entire miniature horse world. And as my punishment, guess I will have to go on the JERRY SPRINGER SHOW, and admit that I am not the brightest flame at the weenie roast. When I learn how to post here, and on the saleboard correctly, then I will know I have arrived. LOL

Later gaters,

SEAHORSE

And no...schools do not focus on grammer or spelling anymore. Or at least not in California! It was probably the least looked at thing when I was in school (and I was an A+ student), and now that I work at a Junior High, I definatley know that spelling is no longer the main priority.
I currently GO TO school in California (8th grade thank you very much!) and boy, i can't remember taking a spelling lesson in who knows how long. they teach us how to read and write, but they could care less about word meanings or spellings! they care about whether you say who or whom and that kinda stuff, but heaven forbid they tell what the words mean, or worse, HOW TO SPELL THEM! teacher: "hmmm....let's see, give me a seven paragraph essay, don't forget to indent paragraphs, and make it fill two pages, and a good introduction and a strong conclusion, with sentence variety, and CORRECT SPELLING AND GRAMMAR!" well, all year, she shows us (over and over to the point where we no longer listen) how to write an essay. but what words we use in it? they just randomly expect us to know this? and why do we need this stuff? we don't have standardized writing tests! sure, it's an important skill to know, but the stuff that they DON'T teach us is what shows up on tests. we had not a single spelling lesson (last year either) yet on the SAT tests, there is a whole portion of the test for this stuff. and grammar? forget it! then they have an entire 70 some questions on the STAR testing and stuff all about grammar. now algebra they teach us ONLY what shows up on tests. go figure.

well, leave it to California public schools to mess things up... LOL. thank god for summer! (don't ya hate it the way school interfere's with barn time!)

Y'know what gets me is the "big name" farms who employ a graphic designer/editor to place their expensive, multi-page layouts (even a foldout!) in the World or such, and the thing is full of problematic misspellings, poor grammar and though I admire the horses and the program SO MUCH, I am disappointed for them to have paid money to be "immortalized" so.

I admit I don't lose sleep over it, but it's unprofessional and very poor advertising for the editor/designer.

Liz M.

See, Liz, they should have hired me...s graphic designer with a degree in journalism who is anal about spelling and grammar!

there a diffence though between what the word really means and what the word means to the general puplic. The word notorious was used in your post, well that means "well known, usually unfavorabliy." But that does not mean always. This word can be used as a bad thing or a good thing. To me that word is over used yes, it means to poloar exterms and should be used only for the best of the best, or the worst of the worst. not to try to start anything JMO
Sorry Vanessa, wrong is wrong no matter how many people do it. Popular usage will never beat Webster's.

It's usually fairly obvious when someone makes a typo or stutters on the keyboard...that I certainly understand...same with those who are dyslexic or truly have trouble spelling. It's those who just don't care that bug me.

Practically the entire forum ripped me a new one last time I posted on this very subject, but oh well...guess I'm notorious...

When I think of Infamous, I think of popular (such as known by all).
I was a teacher for a few years and, luckily, had outstanding English teachers throughout school, plus a mother and grandmother who were teachers and would not tolerate poor grammar. "Infamous" has been a pet peeve of mine for years too and when I read pedigrees for sales, I never fail to give the true definition of the word to anyone who uses it in their "write-ups". Thinking of anything incorrectly does NOT make it right, so please change your thought because it will not make you "popular". The word you are thinking of is "famous" not "infamous".

I'm afraid the same can be said for Canadian schools.... My daughter's school teaches spelling, but I wonder if Vanessa's does.

And while we're on pet peeves in the English language, the correct phrase is COULDN'T care less, NOT "could" care less! If you could care less, then you still care a bit. If you couldn't care less, then you're all done caring!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Karin, for bringing this up--and I certainly think no apology is needed for so doing!! As has been said, for those who are poor spellers, there is help in the form of "spellcheck"--please, use it! I have seen misuse of the word "infamous" a number of times, along with other words--I grew up being taught, both at home and at school, how to communicate in a clear and understandable way, and that certainly includes proper usage of words and terms in both spoken and written form. Nowadays, I often just CRINGE when I try to make out what someone is attempting to convey when writing(and often, even when speaking!) Apparently, there isn't much left by way of standards that have to be met throughout both the educational system AND the working world, in my observation(where the good student, and the dedicated employee, are rare indeed!) and when this occurs, the entire society is adversely affected. Just my opinion, developed over years of living life.....and please, don't bother with responses about how feeling this way is just being 'picky'-by golly, SOMEONE still needs to expect some effort to adhere to established usage and standards!

Oh, and...Susanne and Tony are SOOOOO right!

susanne, I totally thought of you when I saw that ad! *LOL*

If you haven't seen it, I will try to remember to bring the World with me to Evergreen, as it's a neat concept, just poorly executed. Made me actually cringe when I saw not one, but numerous spelling errors not to mention all the other slaughterings of the language (I know I'm not perfect, but if I were selling something, and spending that much money to do so, I would make sure I checked and double checked and that my hired personnel would know better, too, this was NOT a small slipup).

Oh, well. Like I said, I don't lose sleep over it, but it does make a poor impression which I'm certain was not the goal.

To perpetuate misunderstandings is unacceptable. I know I've likely been guilty of the same, so I will accept my punishment!
default_smile.png
(and try to do better next time)

Liz

And while you're at it, could you PLEASE not use "out of" a STALLION. No horse is ever OUT of a STALLION. They are BY a stallion, and out of a MARE. Ya know, a mare is bred BY a stallion and the foal comes OUT of the mare.... :lol:

Now, of course, if you ever do get a foal out of a stallion, you're gonna be rich..... :aktion033:

Lucy

Latest posts

Back