Infamous

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Reaction score
This has been a pet peeve of mine for many years since I read pedigrees for lots of sale. Some people use "infamous" thinking that it is an extra special form of "famous." What prompted this post was a video about Buckeroo on YouTube that someone on the Photo Board posted. It starts with a title page saying "One of the most infamous miniature horses in history." Also I noticed that the title misspelled Buckeroo, adding insult to insult.

The definition of INFAMOUS:

Main Entry: in·fa·mous

Pronunciation: \ˈin-fə-məs\

Function: adjective

Etymology: Middle English, from Latin infamis, from in- + fama fame

Date: 14th century

1 : having a reputation of the worst kind : notoriously evil <an infamous traitor>

2 : causing or bringing infamy : disgraceful <an infamous crime>

3 : convicted of an offense bringing infamy

Yep, see it all the time. Along with real-a-tor, loose instead of lose.......oops I digress.
default_rolleyes.gif

Jan

That bothers me, too. Use "famous", "nationally acclaimed", "highly regarded" etc. So many other words to use!

I also detest foal "out of" a stallion. NO... a foal is BY a stallion and OUT OF a mare- literally!!

Lucy

So it actually means the opposite of what people are trying to say in that case.

I've also noticed that there is a lot of misspelling of Buckeroo.

What's amazing is how many big name farms will misuse that word.
default_no.gif
It's even better when they spell it wrong - and spell it imfamous!!!

how about Lounge line - instead of lunge line. Unless they are using a lounge chair as a heavy short rope.

Or "Threw" instead of through. Threw means to throw or toss - I threw the ball. I didn't walk "threw" the room!!

Philly - a girl horse or cream cheese?

Gilding - must be a palomino?

I call it the dumbing down effect. More and more schools and teachers have to dumb down their lessons for the dumbest student or most disruptive. A friend who does presentations at schools did one for teachers (on mosquitoes) and used the word degradation as a joke on a slide. Most of the teachers didn't get it. That is SO sad!

And texting isn't helping - it's Hooked on Phonics hooked on crack and just as deadly. The art of writing is being lost. I will say our new president seems to have a great gift for speech writing and speaking. Maybe that will help!

OK off my soapbox now!

I saw the video you mentioned yesterday
default_rolleyes.gif
I am easily irritated by misuse of words, and I see a lot of it. Glad to know I'm not the only one!

Someone around here advertises fire wood as BOLK not BULK. There are othersI can't think of right now but they do this week after week.

What's amazing is how many big name farms will misuse that word.
default_no.gif
It's even better when they spell it wrong - and spell it imfamous!!!

how about Lounge line - instead of lunge line. Unless they are using a lounge chair as a heavy short rope.

Or "Threw" instead of through. Threw means to throw or toss - I threw the ball. I didn't walk "threw" the room!!

Philly - a girl horse or cream cheese?

Gilding - must be a palomino?

I call it the dumbing down effect. More and more schools and teachers have to dumb down their lessons for the dumbest student or most disruptive. A friend who does presentations at schools did one for teachers (on mosquitoes) and used the word degradation as a joke on a slide. Most of the teachers didn't get it. That is SO sad!

And texting isn't helping - it's Hooked on Phonics hooked on crack and just as deadly. The art of writing is being lost. I will say our new president seems to have a great gift for speech writing and speaking. Maybe that will help!

OK off my soapbox now!
Dew they knot teach them proper spelings any moore in them skools or watt?

I've got a couple myself. They are confirmation when someone means conformation and the one that really annoys me (not sure why but this one really lowers my opinion of the intelligence of the writer/speaker even though I am fully aware that some really bright people make this mistake) is then switching out of then and than. I would rather see someone use words correctly than incorrectly, then I will understand what they are trying to say.
default_wacko.png

The biggest pet peeve I have is: THEIR .. I see it spelled so often on this forum as THIER.. Drives me nuts!!! I know i before e but there are exceptions other than after c. Their--- is one of them.

Or confirmation rather than conformation.

Or the use of to verses too. I am going to the farm--- is correct or-- I like that horse too. The too spelling, means also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony,

I am so glad you posted this.

The word "Infamous" used incorrectly has always driven me crazy and it happens a lot!

And in the case of this word the incorrect use is actually an insult so it makes it even worse.

Thanks so much for pointing it out.

I also notice the mis-spelling of Buckeroo on countless websites also!

Susan O.

You are all touching one of my major pet peeves.

What really scares me, is I used to assume that the guilty parties were young kids, only to find that most are adults, and they have children! :DOH!

I always thought my education as a babyboomer was very poor (I had first year teachers my entire Elementary 'career') but I guess the educational system has really gone downhill.

Of course, this one I hear almost daily at home and just grit my teeth, both guilty parties are college graduates, one a Business major and the other was a teacher.

"Where you at?"
default_shutup.gif
default_smileypuke.gif
:arg!
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
default_deadhorse2.gif
default_frusty.gif
default_new_let_it_all_out.gif
default_gaah.gif

Also have to agree. I have seen many words used incorrectly. I do realize some of them are just a slip of the keys or not paying attention.

Some I have noticed:

Bread mare (Bred Mare)

Heard of minis (Herd of Minis)

Ok sorry Tony, or others I have to jump in here.

I had a fall 4 years ago, from my hay loft, and was out for about 5 minutes hit my head on the cement, so glad to be alive, and could not speak for a few days without stuttering, and my words have still not all come back? and memory loss.

I type and retype and yes my brain now, uses words wrong.

I know what it should say but comes out wrong?

Please do not be so fast to Judge misused words.
default_new_shocked.gif

Ok said what I had too, so now I will go on my mary way.
default_wub.png

Ok sorry Tony, or others I have to jump in here.I had a fall 4 years ago, from my hay loft, and was out for about 5 minutes hit my head on the cement, so glad to be alive, and could not speak for a few days without stuttering, and my words have still not all come back? and memory loss.

I type and retype and yes my brain now, uses words wrong.

I know what it should say but comes out wrong?

Please do not be so fast to Judge misused words.
default_new_shocked.gif

Ok said what I had too, so now I will go on my mary way.
default_wub.png
I do not think anyone is complaining about typo errors or even some spelling mistakes (heck I have always been the worlds worst speller, but I do try to make sure everything is spelled right , but still get some wrong, especially when I am typing fast. But, words like thier, that are seen over and over again in a single post. On many posts, it is not a typo error, but someone not knowing how that word is spelt.

As for education today,what is really sad is how bad upper executives spell, along with the fact that they can not even put a proper sentence together. My daughter is on the fast tract in a large company and she shows me some of the things that the executives , VP's, Presidents and even CEO's write. How sad!!!

How about when someone uses "immortal" to describe a horse. You often see The "immortal" Rowdy. If the animal or person was immortal, they would still be alive.

Mark

Seems to be a widespread thing, that infamous error!!!! Was watching one of the "horse programs" on RFD tv the other evening, they had a long segment on the background of the Quarter Horse breed. A very prominant, well-known Quarter Horse person spoke of one of the main foundations of the Quarter Horse breed (Three Bars if memory serves me correctly, but it may have been another horse), as "infamous". OK, everybody sing here -- Everybody's doin' it, doin' it, etc.,

Actually, to be strictly correct, it is a longe line, not a lunge line! I longe my horses—I do not lunge them!

Tony, I laughed so hard. How long have you been wanting to get that off your chest? :D

Here, let me add more:

there

their

where

wear

your

you're

it's

its

These drive me fruitloops crazy!

Latest posts

Back