Infamous

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lordy. Don't get me started LOL
default_rolleyes.gif
One of my big ones is when someone mistakes a foal that they have bred as being "out of" their stallion and/or "by" their mare, as opposed to the correct, "out of the mare" and "by the stallion". Drives me crazy to think that someone is breeding that doesn't know the BASIC terminology.

The biggest pet peeve I have is: THEIR .. I see it spelled so often on this forum as THIER.. Drives me nuts!!! I know i before e but there are exceptions other than after c. Their--- is one of them.
Or confirmation rather than conformation.

Or the use of to verses too. I am going to the farm--- is correct or-- I like that horse too. The too spelling, means also.
I'm with ya...

Last edited by a moderator:
What's amazing is how many big name farms will misuse that word.
default_no.gif
It's even better when they spell it wrong - and spell it imfamous!!!

how about Lounge line - instead of lunge line. Unless they are using a lounge chair as a heavy short rope.

Or "Threw" instead of through. Threw means to throw or toss - I threw the ball. I didn't walk "threw" the room!!

Philly - a girl horse or cream cheese?

Gilding - must be a palomino?

I call it the dumbing down effect. More and more schools and teachers have to dumb down their lessons for the dumbest student or most disruptive. A friend who does presentations at schools did one for teachers (on mosquitoes) and used the word degradation as a joke on a slide. Most of the teachers didn't get it. That is SO sad!

And texting isn't helping - it's Hooked on Phonics hooked on crack and just as deadly. The art of writing is being lost. I will say our new president seems to have a great gift for speech writing and speaking. Maybe that will help!

OK off my soapbox now!
I heard an old-timer call a foal a "filly/colt". Huh? So which is it? Is it a hermaphrodite?

Immortal is "not dying" in the spirital sense, not the physical sense.

I am one of those loose, lose persons, I can never get them right.
default_no.gif

Beth

Personally it is "heart rendering" that really cracks me up.
default_wacko.png

I am so glad to see this, as I thought I was in the minority. I likely still am in the minority, but not on this thread
default_wink.png

I tend to just do very quick scans on forums because I start getting a feeling that I am too picky. Especially ones like this one with a spell checker built in! :arg!

default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

Too funny Tony

ok.. this is the one that makes me NUTS!!!!

I don't want to hurt any feelings here,,,,not sure WHY is makes me nuts

but

"Own" son of "Own" daughter..... huh??

*sigh* hehehehehehehehehe

~Sandy

default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
Too funny Tony

ok.. this is the one that makes me NUTS!!!!

I don't want to hurt any feelings here,,,,not sure WHY is makes me nuts

but

"Own" son of "Own" daughter..... huh??

*sigh* hehehehehehehehehe

~Sandy
What about a "real daughter" or "real son"?

As opposed to a FAKE one? LOL.

I actually was surprised at the definition of infamous being what it is

I don't think I ever had the interest to use the word in my life

feeling like I have a fairly good education here, I've obviously missed a few word meanings

But I really thought it was some other use of famous and was a

good thing like I have always heard it used

Thanks for the english lesson Tony although I still don't see myself using the word

but interesting to know the meaning. And how frequently it is used wrong in fact I think it's always used wrong when I've heard it

Lori

A few more word-related peeves:

Congradulations

Irregardless

Chomping at the bit

People make mistakes all the time. Like the guy I know who wrote a newspaper story that started like this: It's a doggie dog world.

He didn't know it's actually a dog-eat-dog world.

How about when someone uses "immortal" to describe a horse. You often see The "immortal" Rowdy. If the animal or person was immortal, they would still be alive.
Mark
I use that for Rowdy and believe that it is appropriate because his get continue his quality for generation after generation. Not that many stallions mark goes on that well.

Especially ones like this one with a spell checker built in! :arg!
I have tried to use the spell checker since I can spell words wrong, espcially when typing too fast, but I have never gotten it to work.

Oh Oh Oh (hi wormies). One more. Not horsey-related. When someone writes, "...could of" instead of "...could have...". Okay, I'll stop. I could go on and on and on....

The worst is when there are several "errors" on a website or sales-ad etc. It's analagous to someone taking a pic of a horse they want to sell that's just rolled in the mud. If you don't know how to spell and don't know correct grammar, there are people that can help you...

How about when someone uses "immortal" to describe a horse. You often see The "immortal" Rowdy. If the animal or person was immortal, they would still be alive.
Mark
I use that for Rowdy and believe that it is appropriate because his get continue his quality for generation after generation. Not that many stallions mark goes on that well.

I agree with Tony. If a horse is still stamping his get with his qualities through generations, even though he (or she) is deceased, he is "Living" on through (not threw) his offspring, and therefore would be immortal.

I just got an e-mail for a big sale coming up, and there's a glaring error in the wording. It was pointed out to them, but apparently doesn't matter since it's still on the graphic!!
default_no.gif

Good for you Tony.I also get very upset when I see the butchering of singular and plural possessives.It looks like someone just used an apostrophe wherever they thought it might go.I see this mistake even in newspaper ads and work from professional signmakers who should know better.Example-a sign in front of a house - the Gray family , Gray's should be Grays' , the puppies paw (guess a lot of puppies had only 1 paw for all of them.I was taught some very basic English even to the point of diagraming sentences.I also get e mails frequently from a college graduate who makes the comment that wants she gets the papers etc.I guess she means ONCE.The lost art of the english language. It's very sad.

lol.. My downfall was the INTERNET!! I aced english/grammar in school... Internet has just made me lazy!! plain and simple... I admit it! It's easy to just figure "oh they know what I mean why bother fixing it?!?!". grammar and spelling all just go down the tubes when you are online a lot and get sloppy! Often times I overlook things online just because other people tend to do the same thing!

Some things that really bug me when actually speaking to people.....

It "wadn't (wasn't)" so.

I "seen" it.

look at "them" flowers.

snobby I know.. but a LOT of people say stuff like that and it is just so glaringly obvious to me and I have a hard time missing it.

Then there is the use of "prolly" instead of "probably"

"Loose" instead of "lose" has already been mentioned; I really dislike that one.

"ext" instead of "etc". Etc is the correct abbreviation for etcetera. "ext" is usually the short form of "extension"....as in 555-1212, ext. 21...

My pet peeve was already mentioned. By example...

[SIZE=14pt]Horses[/SIZE]... not [SIZE=14pt]horse's[/SIZE]

Raining [SIZE=14pt]cats[/SIZE] and [SIZE=14pt]dogs[/SIZE] instead of raining [SIZE=14pt]cat's[/SIZE] and [SIZE=14pt]dog's[/SIZE]...

Anything PLURAL does not have an apostrophe!!
default_wacko.png

Then we have [SIZE=14pt]they're/their/there[/SIZE]... and [SIZE=14pt]your/you're[/SIZE]...

I better stop with that.
default_rolleyes.gif

I could not agree more with the person that brought up seeing someone say or post that a particular foal is "out of" a stallion. I HATE HATE HATE to see that. IT IS WRONG! It is NEVER right, EVER! My opinion of that person goes WAY DOWN, IMMEDIATELY!

A foal is "out of" a mare (think about it, on the most literal level, it makes sense, really, it does).

A foal is "by" a stallion.

A colt is always male. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS

A filly is always female. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS

foal - noun, a young horse, mule, or related animal, especially one that is not yet one year of age.

colt - noun, a male horse of not more than four years of age.

filly - noun, a female horse of not more than four years of age.

The sire is the father or daddy of a horse.

The dam is the mother or mommy of a horse.

I see "gilding" a lot.
default_rolleyes.gif

I see a lot of mistakes in our local newspaper's classified advertisement section about horses. Sometimes I think it has to do with the idiot at the newspaper either taking the advertisement over the telephone or the idiot that "edits" stuff (incorrectly
default_rolleyes.gif
) before it goes to print. I see "1/4 Horse for sale" ALL OF THE TIME! It's not 1/4 Horse (and 3/4 pony or whatever), it's Quarter Horse! I also wonder if the same thing happens with "gilding" instead of "gelding". I would bet that non-horsey people don't recognize "gelding" as a word. I am not making excuses for these people, just that I bet that's what happens some of the time.

None of these things really truly bother me, well i don't lose any sleep at night (unless you count being up right now at 3:30 cleaning up puppy poo and puke..) over them anyway, but i think people just word things like "infamous" and "own" to try to draw more attention and make the horse seem "special". I remember someone bringing up infamous a while back and looked up the definition and since then when i've seen it (yep, the youtube video i have seen too) just kinda of go ..
default_laugh.png

I am not an amazing speller and i graduated high school with many years of English courses in my brain, and for some reason never can get spell check to work on here. I know when i get to typing, i will get a thought in my brain and get to typing really fast before i lose that thought and make a few errors which i may catch later if i come back to read it,,,,or maybe three or four times later.

Latest posts

Back