Think Before You Post - Three words that get used too much

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guilty as charged! Many times I wake up in the middle of the night and think, why did I type that? WAs it wrong, or worded offensively? It certainly was not meant to offend, but it it bothered me enough to think of it in the night it must have been said wrong. Let me lighten it up, I need to discipline myself sometimes, such as don't get on the net after a glass of wine! HAHA!

Believe me I'm no longer a newbie, but was one once, and guess what I still sometimes make a purchase that I shouldn't have, it happens. Will I learn from my mistakes? Sometimes, but mostly NO! Does a bad purchase change the way that I feel about the horse, NO! Here's my problem, I like horses with good conformation, pedigree, and great legs, so if I find a horse that I just have to have, I buy it, problem is usally it is only registered AMHA and I know just from looking at it that it will go over. So I have to hardship it into AMHR. OH Well! I still love said horses! Problem is I can't resale it only registered in one registry at the price I paid, I need to reduce the price and usually go into the red. That is after I've already spent alot showing said horse.

Pleas don't take it personally when someone replies to your posts and to you it may sound negative, most on here mean to help, not hurt. Believe me I do know that words can hurt and therefore I had to develope a thick skin for some of the posts on the BAck Porch, but it's also fun, entertaining, and informative. I love LB for all the information that I've gathered and the entertainment, and lets not forget all the freebies, like the sale board!

Perhaps we need to use the correct grammar we were taught in high school English, using "one" instead of the very personal "you". "ONE SHOULD..." becomes general and broad. "YOU SHOULD..." becomes personal and sometimes accusative.

"ONE should never do such a dumb thing" sounds a little better than "YOU should never do such a dumb thing".

I do like the reminder of offering constructive, positive criticism instead of destructive. This works with horses and husbands; it's bound to work pretty well, too, with our Forum friends!
I'm sorry, I truly apologize, I think your words are great! I'm just giggling my head off over this one, lol. Not about what you said, It is true, it's a great thing to do when speaking of disagreements, it does take the 'blame' out of the sentence.

But I'm giggling because I now have this mental image in my head of Freud and Jung having an argument on the internet about the id, the ego and the super ego while one does blow and the other induces hallucinations, lol, because honestly at times it seems like internet debates take on the same kind of confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not read through all of the responses...only the original post here, but I guess what I want to say, is just because people say "You should have..." does not mean they mean it in a rude or negative manner. It is just their way of saying, "next time be sure to...". We all learn as we go...we are human, and we learn by our mistakes, but I don't think that just because people say "you should have..." that it is doing anything other than giving GOOD advice.

Great reminder-sometimes I am in a hurry so post quickly. I hope I don't come across as rude. I am a rather lighthearted person, I rarely scoff or scold, it's just hard to convey tone in type.

I must say though that one thing I greatly admire on this forum is it's ability to see the various sides in a situation. I think I have even posted a time or two to have it pointed out as to what that other side is. Every person needs that in life so I appreciate that I can get that help here. So don't feel too down when those situations come up where you need to vent but other viewpoints are put up by others. It can help you tremendously if you wish it to and if it was you on the other side of the things, the wonderful people of LB would say the same things. Perspective is a funny thing
default_smile.png

Great thread. That is the problem with the internet. Things come across as rude, not nice, misconstrued when poeple type what sounds good in their head doesn't look so good when typed out. It is a public place and if you ask a question everyone will give their two cents worth.
default_pantiesbig.gif

I agree it is very easy to write out a statement solely to help a person and think it perfectly normal but for the reciever to completely take it the wrong way, it is so hard to get a comment across the way you want without tone of voice, faces ect. if people take a post as mean or rude I would also say please think twice about it as it may not be as bad as you first assumed (just meaning this can go both ways! yes think about what you are saying BUT also think about what you are reading) most people will "in a way" assume that you are "stupid" because they do not know where your level of knowledge on the topic is so in order to make sure that (everyone) understands they may make it very basic... Great post I think it is one that people need to be reminded of every once in a while
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back