Infamous

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a fifth grade teacher I have to respond to this. I don't know about what goes on in other classrooms, but in mine I am making every effort to build my students' vocabulary and grammar skills. I DO NOT dumb down the vocabulary of the lesson even though I have a spectrum of student from high to low. If you are a skilled teacher you know how to adapt your lessons and activities so that you address the needs of not only all levels of learners, but also learning styles. An example of this would be using the words numerator and denominator instead of top and bottom number when teaching fractions. Also using the word modifier when talking about adjectives and adverbs. The curriculum for kids in my county is quite extensive and every minute is spent trying to help the students meet both state and national standards. However, it takes more than the teacher to help these kids become a productive member of society. It takes families working with them at home to extend or remediate the lesson, and it takes the community setting a good example and as you are saying using correct spelling and grammar. Ok...I'm done now. It just hurts me when I hear people bashing the education system, assuming that we are not doing our jobs. It is not an easy job at all especially when you have to maintain student focus while trying to help them master all of the things that are required of them. Keep in mind that many of the National standards, especially in math, require students to learn things that, according to the info I learned about cognitive development, they are not ready for. Ex. 5th graders learning algebra. They are still very concrete thinkers at that point and are just starting to think abstractly.

I would never blame the teachers. That job just keeps getting harder and harder. The pay scale should be equal to MDs in my opinion.

The "etcetera" post reminded me of another pet peeve: ect. instead of etc. Every time I see it my brain forces my mouth to try to say "eck set tra" and even that won't fit... What is with that???
default_unsure.png

I agree, the problem is not with the teachers, it is with society. The hero's of today's kids are celebrities. What ever happened to a hero being someone who guides us? My favorite teacher was a woman named Mrs. Sewall; she was my fifth grade teacher. I loved her class because her mother used to travel a lot and Mrs. Sewall would invite her mother to class to show us the films of her travels. It was in Mrs. Sewalls class that I learned that there was a whole big world outside of where I was living. Mrs. Sewall also taught me respect for not only adults but also my peers.

The kids of today look up to people who they only see on TV or hear on the radio. They will never have no contact with these celebrities and never learn from them yet they idolize them. They even learn to speak like them and use their lingo. Also, because of computers and cell phones kids are texting using such things as u instead of you and idk instead of I don't know. Imagine how hard it is for us adults to figure out what kids are talking about in their text.

I think too many parent's are buying gadgets to keep their kids busy and they're learning bad habits using the gadgets. The parent's should be taking their kids to parks for hikes and visiting historical sites to learn about the past.

The first thing parents need to do to get their kids to learn to write and spell is to get their respect. Make them pull up their pants, dress like a kid instead of a pole dancer and look for real hero's to idolize instead of celebrities.

I don't think teacher's are worse today than teachers from my youth, I think parenting skills have suffered because both parent's are forced to work these days to help supply their kids with the latest gadgets that steal their skills from them that they learn in school. Teachers are facing a battle, they teach writing skills only for the kids to get on computers and cell phones and text each other and rewrite the words.

I'm a big grammar wonk, so I have to agree with a lot of these. That said, I don't come on here and critique everyone's posts. It's when people are careless with their advertising that it really bothers me. I can't believe people pay big $$$ to run flawed ads in the World or Journal, or leave glaring grammar and spelling mistakes on an otherwise meticulously designed website. The horses may be stunning, but if all of their philly colts are out of infamous paint stallion's then that's probably what I'm going to remember about that farm's site.

Personally it is "heart rendering" that really cracks me up.
default_wacko.png

I am so glad to see this, as I thought I was in the minority. I likely still am in the minority, but not on this thread
default_wink.png

I tend to just do very quick scans on forums because I start getting a feeling that I am too picky. Especially ones like this one with a spell checker built in! :arg!
Whoa! "Spell checker built in"! Holy Cow so it is n'r evn noticed . Some of us ('specially me) are sooo computer illiterate and by the way to use it, it has to downloaded.

It's Prttey fnuny how we can raed tihs einrte snetnece wtih all tehse ltters all out of palce, and we can cnotniue to keep raednig and sitll mekas snece of waht we are raeding. No mttar how mnay tmies you raed tihs oevr and oevr you can sitll mkae snece of it.

How is taht pssoible?

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

default_saludando.gif

Infamous annoys me as well. In one of my rabbit breeds I have a buck who is actually very well known. Someone has offspring of his on their website and call the sire infamous. An infamous rabbit? I knew that little guy was trouble! lol

My all time pet peeve is German Shepard!
default_smile.png
We had someone who kept writing it at the service dog program I worked at, we finally got her to just put GSD for German Shepherd Dog and not have to figure out how to spell it each time. lol

I guess another annoying one. I bought a sign that says, " If your smokin in my barn, you better be on fire!". Yes, they spelled it that way, smokin...fine! But the wrong use of your bothers me enough that I never put it up. It was behind the counter when I saw it and I just didn't read it over well enough in the store. These are mass produced.

Confirmation in place of conformation annoys me as well.

Sometimes I look at my own typing and am amazed at how poorly what was in my head went to my fingers. There is no excuse, I was raised by two teachers, my mother was a business teacher so I had two full years of typing class and along with those normal English classes also took two full years of shorthand (my mother as teacher). For those who have not taken shorthand classes, it is as much about spelling and punctuation as learning the actual shorthand methods. There is no excuse on my end other than not paying it all so much attention anymore.

I actually think people started using immortal in reference to Rowdy after his death. I could be wrong on that, but at the time I first remember seeing it Rowdy had passed and the other big stallions of the early days were most all still around. This was a good ten years plus ago. Again, if I remember correctly, before his death he was mostly referred to as remarkable rather than immortal. I believe that the term fits well in relation to these stallions who have bloodlines that will be carried to this breed forever. I am willing to bet almost every person on this board can picture in their heads Rowdy, Egyptian King, Sugarboy, Blue Boy, Orion, Buckeroo, Roan Ranger, Top Banana, Gold Melody Boy etc. Probably most could also name at least one horse who is from these bloodlines. To me, that makes them immortal as they will never be forgotten and I am pretty sure their bloodlines will never die.

Edited because I left the T off bet.
default_laugh.png
default_new_shocked.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
What's amazing is how many big name farms will misuse that word.
default_no.gif
It's even better when they spell it wrong - and spell it imfamous!!!

how about Lounge line - instead of lunge line. Unless they are using a lounge chair as a heavy short rope.

Or "Threw" instead of through. Threw means to throw or toss - I threw the ball. I didn't walk "threw" the room!!

Philly - a girl horse or cream cheese?

Gilding - must be a palomino?

I call it the dumbing down effect. More and more schools and teachers have to dumb down their lessons for the dumbest student or most disruptive. A friend who does presentations at schools did one for teachers (on mosquitoes) and used the word degradation as a joke on a slide. Most of the teachers didn't get it. That is SO sad!

And texting isn't helping - it's Hooked on Phonics hooked on crack and just as deadly. The art of writing is being lost. I will say our new president seems to have a great gift for speech writing and speaking. Maybe that will help!

OK off my soapbox now!
[SIZE=12pt]Not trying to be a pain, but it's original correct term is Longeing
default_yes.gif
[/SIZE]

Joy

It's Prttey fnuny how we can raed tihs einrte snetnece wtih all tehse ltters all out of palce, and we can cnotniue to keep raednig and sitll mekas snece of waht we are raeding. No mttar how mnay tmies you raed tihs oevr and oevr you can sitll mkae snece of it.How is taht pssoible?

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

default_saludando.gif

Very cute
default_rolleyes.gif

Not being critical, folks, but I've spotted a bunch of errors in posts in this thread, and not just the deliberate ones!
default_laugh.png

My biggest quibble may be my misunderstanding, but here goes: amount/number. I grew up understanding that you use amount when you refer to a collective noun (singular), and number when you are talking about a collection of individuals (plural). For example, you have an amount of snowfall, but a number of snowflakes. You have an amount of rain, and a number of raindrops. I don't know how many times I have heard people refer to an "amount of people," that should be "a number of people," since people is the plural of person!

ok reble

i just read thru half your post when i realized it was jumbled, actually that was pretty good.

Not being critical, folks, but I've spotted a bunch of errors in posts in this thread, and not just the deliberate ones!
default_laugh.png

My biggest quibble may be my misunderstanding, but here goes: amount/number. I grew up understanding that you use amount when you refer to a collective noun (singular), and number when you are talking about a collection of individuals (plural). For example, you have an amount of snowfall, but a number of snowflakes. You have an amount of rain, and a number of raindrops. I don't know how many times I have heard people refer to an "amount of people," that should be "a number of people," since people is the plural of person!
You must have been an editor in another life too!
default_laugh.png
I saw 3 different unintentional spelling errors, on three separate posts specifically complaining about spelling errors, on this thread. People are funny!!!

It's Prttey fnuny how we can raed tihs einrte snetnece wtih all tehse ltters all out of palce, and we can cnotniue to keep raednig and sitll mekas snece of waht we are raeding. No mttar how mnay tmies you raed tihs oevr and oevr you can sitll mkae snece of it.How is taht pssoible?

default_saludando.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
I am shocked! I just read your post fast and without a problem!

Then there is "homogeneous" which I think is meant to be homozygous. I've seen that one a few times...

Sounds like something to do with milk, not horses!

Then there is "homogeneous" which I think is meant to be homozygous. I've seen that one a few times...
Sounds like something to do with milk, not horses!
I think I have seen at least 4 or 5 variations on spelling for that one and at least as many mispronunciations!

Or the use of to verses too. I am going to the farm---is correct or---I like that horse too. The too spelling, means also.
Too also means "to an extent or degree". Like, "I had too much cake for Dillion's birthday." It isn't always improper to use too in a case where too does not mean also. However, I too see a lot of misuse of too. LOL

I'm guilty of some of these. It doesn't really bother me when others do it. I'm more interested in what they have to say than if they said it perfectly.

AND

He could be infamous the boy does/did get around alot, which is a GOOD thing in my opinion.

I haven't seen this one yet:

I was like, you know, blown away.

Like, he was like so cool.

Like, save me.
default_wink.png

I'm guilty of some of these. It doesn't really bother me when others do it. I'm more interested in what they have to say than if they said it perfectly.
In an informal setting like this, I agree with you. We're all friends here, so I'd think what one has to say is more important than how one says it. But people really ought to know how to use their own language. This is particularly true for those that make their living with words, like the AP reporter that wrote (in today's Superbowl coverage) ". . . James Harrison, who seemed to be a shoe-in for the MVP award . . . ." One letter makes a big difference, sometimes!
default_doh.gif

Perhaps I am being judgemental, but when I see someone flaunting their ignorance in an ad, or an article, I begin to wonder whether they even know what they are talking about!

Latest posts

Back