Katie on Cam :) ~ Its Filly! pics pg30

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Checked again, her udder is even firmer! Her vulva is hanging and red inside.....will be checking at 12 pm...

I know this udder isnt very impressive, but I expect it to go BOOM any day....She is a last minute producer! And this is the udder she has days before foaling!

Ok so Katies udder is fuller and firmer ........I cant wait to see what its like in the am!

Well her udder is bigger than yesterday in the am, but not as big and tight as it was last night at midnight. She is very uncomfy today. Doing a lot of rubbing.

She is also flirting with my stallion...Crazy girl!

Udder down this evening at 8 pm. Will check her at 10.
default_smile.png

Lol, weird thing is she has NO tail resistance at all. Foal still doesnt look in position yet. I am guessing by 10 her udder will have gone back up.

Udder madness!~ Lol! Thats perfect!
default_smile.png

Went to TS today and got more bedding for her stall, more wrap for her tail as she gets closer. Ive got 2 bales of cheap hay for her foaling nite. I think I am ready.... Now Katie can go
default_smile.png

Day 301... Katies udder is large this am, but has a wonky shape... she is very wide, miserable and follows me everywhere. Last night she didnt do as much rubbing.

Dream is doing better. She seems to feel better too.

WOW!! She looks so close from that picture, yet at only 301 days I would have expected her to hang on for a while yet? Still we all know what these mares are like! LOL!!

Hey Anna, I answered your question about my welsh stallion a few posts back.... wanted to let you know in case you missed it.
default_smile.png

As for Katie, well she still has zero tail resistance, vulva is squinched back up . Her belly is back a bit further now. She hasnt rubbed much today but has been laying down a lot.

Dream...she is better, however after cleaning her face real good we decided to pull what staples were left in. Her rubbing her face on her leg has pulled many of them out, her wound has widened again. But now at least it is healing. When we removed the staples we noticed there is a lot of pus under the surface. so we did the best we could to drain it. I think this new antibiotic is helping but we have now a pocket in there.she has one area of swelling, and it might take a few days for it to be where we can fully drain it. However, I must give Dream a lot of credit. During out removal of the staples and the draining she was excellent. She held fairly still, remained calm, and let us do what we needed to do. I am really happy with the progress she is making, the trust she is building. After her * torture* I took her and let her graze nice green grass for a bit.

Here is a picture from after we cleaned before we drained: I must say I am a bit disappointed as this is going to leave a bigger scar than I had hoped for. However I have a good product, Equaide, to help minimize the proud flesh growth, and make it heal smoother and smaller. You can see the pus in the picture...

Sorry I missed your post about your boy - been a bit busy and just been reading the pages as they have appeared. Yes, I have always liked the Weshies, not had much to do with them through apart from a little Welsh Mountain when I was MUCH younger!! Not heard of the Springbourne stud and the only Baledon I can think of was a stud who spelt it Blaedon????? So probably not the same folk, but regardless, he certainly is a very handsome man and should give you some beautiful foals from those very nice girls of yours.
default_yes.gif

Was also looking back over the pictures of Katie and reading what you said. It really does sound as though she could foal at any time. I wouldn't pay too much attention to what her udder is doing, but keep watching the colour inside her hooha, as that might be you only indication that foaling is near.

Regarding Dream, I'm so glad she is being so good for you - it just shows how much trust you have built up already, well done! I think you have probably done the best thing by removing the rest of the sutures. I think that suturing up open wounds tightly can sometimes lead to them not draining sucessfully, especially if the wound is somewhere that will drain easily. Also it is always better if a wound can heal from the inside, not get 'sealed' at its edges first. Of course a lot depends upon the wound and where it is in the first place, but as long as you can keep Dream's wound clean and draining she should be fine. Did you say she was getting some proud flesh? That seems strange to me if everything is draining well, but perhaps you were meaning it might develop? Has she finished her anti-b's yet? Dont forget that they continue working for some time after the end of the course so she may not need any more and anyway they do cause havoc with the receivers natural immune system, so too many courses can have an adverse effect.

Good luck with Katie and safe foaling - when it happens!
default_yes.gif

Its strange, this wound of Dreams, typically Proud flesh develops on lower limbs, and say girth areas, Ive never seen it on the face before, however this wound seems to be turning itself inside out like proud flesh. It difficult to explain, but really looks similar. The Equaide is great for proud flesh, Ive used it before, but it also works great on wounds in general. It also help with the flys. I am going to keep it on at night to help keep the wound clean. She still lays down and sleeps with her face in the dirt, which isnt helping. I hope I am explaining everything correctly....

As far as Katie, I think I will know they day she will foal, if she does like the past few times. Typically she will carry this udder she has now for a very short time, 2 weeks at the most, and then the day she will foal her udder will just look massive. The owner before said she will test ready the day of foaling, however last year she didnt test ready in the am, tested at 10 pm still didnt test ready. But I suspect foaling because her udder had doubled, her Vulva was hanging, she just seemed ready. So at midnight I went out to test again got colostrum and KNEW we were there. She foaled at 130
default_smile.png

So right now I HOPE she follows the past and develops her foaling udder...either way I am still checking at 10 then midnight.

Thank Goodness for barn cams!

I have a few problems with Eagles surgery wound as it is still pussy and had formed some lumps that looled like bubbles (hard to explain) any way it is difficult to keep clean as he rolls around in the dirt. As soon as I saw the puss and lumps I dabbed it with diluted Betadine and then put an antiseptic powder on it, the next morning the lumps had burst and the puss is draining. I find powder better than cream as everything sticks to cream. Have you thought about putting a full fly mask on her? That might help to keep it clean.

Katie is looking good, i hope she holds on a bit. After what happened to my Britt I am a bit nervous about mares foaling early. She foaled at 302 days and vet said it was due to the poor quality of the placenta. I don't want to alarm you but we like to inform each other of our experiences so that we can be ready for everything. I am sure Katie is just keeping you on your toes like most of the other mares and their udder madness. Lol

The Equaide is actually a charcoal based product. once it dries it form a scab so not much sticks to it
default_smile.png
Course I hadnt been using it as the vet told me to use the vetricyn and then neosporin. Really i think the problem with her is that she has done a lot of damage to it by rubbing it on her leg.

What surgery did Eagle have done? Do you have pictures?

You know, I keep thinking surely I must have my dates wrong, as Katie has foaled 330 range always, course she was always bred earlier in the year too. Not sure but possibly being bred in the hot summer last year and now foaling during hot weather maybe she is just speeding things up? Ive heard they tend to hold on longer during colder weather.

Was there any side effects to Britts foal with the placenta being poor? Was there a reason that it was poor? possibly placentitis? Also did she develop along as typical just early? Or did she foal kind of suddenly with little warning? Sorry but I like to ask a lot of questions so I can learn more.
default_smile.png

I do not breed the minis anymore, But I co -own Katie with a gentleman who is older. That is why she came home to foal out. He doesnt have a barn cam and isnt able to deal with problems if they arise. I know she has had very good quality feed and pasture during her pregnancy. She is on Mare and foal by Life design, which is made by Nutrena, and she gets quality Coastal hay.

I would like to see her hold on for a couple more weeks, I feel safer with the minis after day 315.
default_smile.png

Eagle had colic surgery 3 weeks ago. Sorry I haven't taken any pics.

Britt started bagging up at about 285 days and progressed normally just very early. It wasa redbag which my vet spotted immediately before the bubble showed and got him out in less than a minute but he was very week and suffered lack of oxygen. He is just fine now and acting just like any other foal. The vet didn't think it was placentits just a poor quality placenta that couldn't feed the foal any longer.

Eagle had colic surgery 3 weeks ago. Sorry I haven't taken any pics.

Britt started bagging up at about 285 days and progressed normally just very early. It wasa redbag which my vet spotted immediately before the bubble showed and got him out in less than a minute but he was very week and suffered lack of oxygen. He is just fine now and acting just like any other foal. The vet didn't think it was placentits just a poor quality placenta that couldn't feed the foal any longer.
Sorry to hear about his colic! Goodness...

I have heard about red bag, never had one very scary!

Can you take a couple of picutres of Katie for us. One from the side (at her height) and one from the back showing her sides? She may be filling her udder, but you should have time if the foal hasn't lined up yet. If she is still wide, as you say, I'm thinking she's doing the "udder madness" most of the girls are doing this year, and the baby may still be riding "side-ways" -- which gives you some time for her to carry longer.

I'm so glad that Dream is doing better. KUDOS for getting the pus drained out. I haven't heard of proud flesh on a face before, but all kinds of things happen for sure. Have you been using the Neosporin at all in the wound? If the skin is loose around the wound, you can also try some steri-strips to pull it together a bit, bringing the healthy part of the incision together across the surface. Then perhaps a gauze wrap around the muzzle part of her face to help hold it in place.
I have a few pics of Katie from this afternoon, I will post them. The skin around dreams wound is very tight, the vet sewed the inside of the wound also, which , honestly, sometimes the stitches as they are degrading, seem to cause swelling too. So I think there might be several things going on. When the wound was first stitched, it was very tightly closed as its healed it stayed together very well. Then two days ago I noticed some draining, and then after the staples started to pop, and the wound separated again. I am not sure it wasnt from her rubbing her face on her leg, as well as the infection...Its kind of a mess. I hope to get it back under control quickly.

Anyways..Here are the pics of Katie I took earlier today... She is getting loosey goosey in her hind end too. Oddly, when she gets ready I can feel the foal kick on either side of her tail head in her hip area..bad description, but I havent felt that yet. I will be updating at ten unless things havent changed much, Then I will check again at 12. I didnt get a straight from behind but will go do that soon
default_smile.png

Ok yall things have changed since last update, which I hadnt seen her in a few hours....Just got in took some pics and noticed something different about her... Right in front of her udder, there are these pouchy area, which I call the for udder, well right in front of that she has a new pouch, I took pics, she did not have this earlier, there is one on each side, It does not feel like edema, typically edema is pretty squishy, this is different...never noticed this on my mares before...seems to connect to the fore udder...

Then a new side view as well as a back view

No major changes today
default_smile.png

Great pictures! But she does make you think doesn't she!! From the top she still looks wide, but from the side she looks quite dropped with a nice V shape developing. Those pouches are just milk glands (well that's what I call them!!) and nothing to worry about.

Saying prayers for Dream, I'm sure that if you can manage to keep her wound clean and draining it will eventually heal from the inside - at least I hope so for her and for you.
default_yes.gif

So far tonight udder is holding. I will go out at 12 to check. Update if anything has changed
default_smile.png

Only thing different is the pouches are a bit bigger . I accidently deleted 930 check pics..ugh! lol..take more at 12.

Katie doesnt want me checking anymore so thats good lol. Hiney still loose, but not quite there, Vulva is not loose but not tight anymore.

Latest posts

Back