jj in foal? new mares pictures/soon jewel too!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
everyone has been out on this grass..not knee high but spring and pretty flush..everyone except jj. I got a phone call from my daughter, A kind samaritan removed my 5 mini's from a busy highway today...and put them back in thier pasture. Must have been when i was at dr with gr son.So now they have found an escape route..not good. I will have to figure out a better way to confine them.,My fence is not soo good,,and in fact really bad if highway visits are to be considered.

I have figured out my illness. Just do not eat anyhing and I am only a little bit sick.Mite be a good way to loose a few more pounds:>)

UPdate!

JJ has small red spots in her vulva. The rest is pink. No other changes realy

I got my little stallion today..Villas after the storm,,,He is Onyx daddy. Had no time to get a picture.He is gorgeous!! He will need to go see the vet as he did get an injury a little while back and is gimpy. Very gimpy after the drive.

unloaded him and was going to put him in the main pasture area where my girls are..but his presense sent Onyx into a tizzy and he was acting pretty studdy so i put him in a small area I have and added daisy for company. Good lord it wasn't but 2 minutes and he had bred her. I didn't even know she was in heat. So we have a confirmed breeding between my silver buckskin and my homozygous black stallion stormy. And so it begins again.......

default_thumbup.gif
Congrats on the safe arrival of such a productive little guy
default_whistling.gif
He is adorable
default_yes.gif
How about a new pic of our little girl too?

a lady who breeds apps told me sometimes that a new mare will stand for a stallioon even if they are not in heat. He definetly smelled her urine did the lips and mounted her. Do you think that this was just a get acquainted breeding? I had never heard of that before.

I was able to file his front toes down a bit. He is settling in but is stallion for sure. I am loving him. I am no longer leary of him..he is all show. Don't think I am getting sloppy tho..I just dont feel jumpy. Stallions tend to hate me..stormy seems to like me okay. I hosed and wrapped his leg..I was trying to totally immobolize his knee but am too afraid to go too tight/.so it is more support then immobolized. Sure wish i had a horse person around to help with some of this horse stuff/.I will get pics of JJ if I can totday. She seems to be on hold again. I walked her dry lot yesterday..and there is enough grass blades I am concerned about fescue growth. Sh eis still getting fescue free hay and alf/timothy cubes along with omalene 300. Only thing i could do is really confine her. I just wish she would have this baby. Seems like forever.............

Last edited by a moderator:
My mares would kick the poop out of a stallion if they are not in heat so I am not sure. Maybe someone else here has more experience in this situation. How is his injury looking ?

I know this is a realllly stupid question, especially since I have Stormy now. Bu tis he a 2 x national reserve champion or a 2 x world reserve champion. Anyone have acess to look it up. When I do a search on him..i get reserve world champion..but i though tit was reserve national champion.... i know dumb to not know this..

Sorry I can't help you there but I am sure Diane will when she returns
default_smile.png

What is actually wrong with his leg/knee? If you wrap improperly you might cause more damage then there is now. Also what you do in the way of bandaging you have to do to both legs. If you use a stable style bandage with pads you shouldn't cause any problems with tendons. Have you posted pictures of the leg in another thread? maybe here?

congrats on the new addition!

as far as his leg..we are assuming he got kicked a few weeks ago.. His leg was getting better at previous home..but his constant pacing in cmpetition with other stallions aggrevated it. I am hoping hosing and wrapping and his calming down will help. He has a very swollen knee and he is quite gimpy.

I To be honest I have not had to wrap a horses leg before. But I used to have to wrap an amputees stub so am hoping that I am helping not hindering. I am redoing the wrap several times a day. I put quilt batting down first and them vet wrap..and an ace. If it does not improve significantly in the next seveal days I guess the $200+ vet bill will be necessary

I know this is a realllly stupid question, especially since I have Stormy now. Bu tis he a 2 x national reserve champion or a 2 x world reserve champion. Anyone have acess to look it up. When I do a search on him..i get reserve world champion..but i though tit was reserve national champion.... i know dumb to not know this..
He is an AMHA two-time National Reserve Champion (even though the prior owner was advertising him as an AMHA two-time Reserve World Champion in Halter -- which he is not) -- I've attached his pedigree for you from the AMHA Stud Book, which always shows the AMHA National and World wins. He is not registered with the AMHR.

STORMY.PDF

It's so nice to get a stallion who knows his job! There are two kinds of mares.....one that will let a stallion KNOW they want nothing to do with them unless they are in heat....and those that will breed even when they are pregnant. So, it's hard to know which one your girl is. But chances are with the behavior he was showing, she may well have been in heat. You'll know if he continues to breed her in the next couple of days. If she stands for him, she may well have been in heat. If not, he will probably leave her alone now.

He's a beautiful boy for sure. A picture of his injury might help us. Is is front or back legs? If front - try taking a picture right down at his level of both front knees. Poor little guy getting kicked, what a shame. Hopefully, he'll come out of it just fine. The other thing to do is call your farrier and make sure the foot with the injury is giving him a proper surface to walk and stand on....very important that there should be no abnormal hoof for him to have to compensate on during healing. It would be worth it to have a farrier that you trust make sure his feet are level and at a proper angle. That should help relieve some pressure as he's healing.

As to putting him in with the ladies and foals, if the owner has had him in pasture with her mares and foals (and you trust her to be telling the truth), it sounds as if he's a good boy. All of mine were wonderful with the foals, but you could put him on a lead and just walk him through the pasture and see how he acts -- foals will be inquisitive and probably approach him. So, if it appears he's going to act out -- you should know right away.

Attachments

• STORMY.PDF
    37.1 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Thankyou all. I thought he was a reserve national not reserve world champion..but his name comes up all over as a sire and his title of reserve world...okay. I was right and am no longer confused.

On to his injury..as I guess I am not one to wait too long for advise :>/

walked him in the pasture with my mare and foal. He showed interest in jewel..who let him know without doubt she was not interested. He showed no interest in Onyx..and no signs of aggression. He spent yesterday with the girls and no issues(other then my trimming of daisy was interupted by a mounting and subsequent breeding). I put up Jewel and onyx last night..just to be safe and again today he "liked" Jewel :>) who again let him know with a very strong NO THANKYOU. never bothered onyx at all.

I left his wrap on last night. Took it off today to hose it and since it is rainingI left it off. The knee shows some decreased swelling..and he is still gimpy but I would say 40 % or more improvement on gait. YEAH! If he will just stay quiet today I may not have to wrap it. No point in a wet bandage. He has turned into a kitten. I really love his personality I had my concerns that first night....If this is his a mare is in heat behavior..I am one lucky person. He has settled down sooo much. He just wanted to be with his girls. I have not added JJ to the herd. She needs to be off the maiin pasture anyway..as just too much grass and probably lots of fescue.

I will get those shots today of both JJ and his knee.I do have an appt tomorrow..but I am going to cancel it if I see a steady improvement. I did take off some toe of his yesterday as they were quite long. Not perfect but an improvement. It is hard to do his good foot as you can tell ( by rearing) he does not want to put all the wt on his bad leg. Think I got enough off I am leaving them alone for a bit/

as always thanks for being here. Lori

So glad he's improving!

And so glad he's a good boy with the foals. It's a wonderful trait in a stallion, and makes it all so much easier!

jjfront.JPGjjside.JPGjjback.JPG

not much as far as bag...bagcx.JPGbagx.JPGmilk.JPG milk is barely sticky

appears softishdofter.JPG

and privates pink again..swollen elongated and doing nothing.

hooch.JPGprivates.JPG

dissapointed in our progress..almost ou tof non fescue hay..almost time to track somemore down

mag.JPG

Thanks for the pics, Is he really lame on it? If he is make sure they girls aren't chasing him or making him run. Did he have an x ray taken to confirm no fracture? I wouldn't bandage it I would just hose it down several times a day to help drain it. Place the hose a few inches above his knee and let the water run down over it.

JJ is coming along slow but sure
default_thumbup.gif

this morning after a night of wraps and a few days of quiet he had a barely noticeable limp and the swelling was down a lot. I took the wraps off for the day..and he has been tearing around..and he seems to be limping quite a bit more now. I truly believe when he finally settles...his leg will be fine. I have had several tell me to not wrap it..but I see a big improvement when I do, so i don't know.

have been hosing it..and that does help too. I think rest is what it needs more then anything

got pictures of onyx..think I have settled on her name.it will be Boozing and Blues after the Storm.

anyway stil lno baby

Since you are already doing a wrap session - have you tried a dmso sweat? We mixed dmso with furison ointment, applied liberally to the swollen area, wrapped with saran wrap to produce/lock in heat, then a quilt with a wrap. There would be "drainage" down the leg from underneath the saran wrap - and the swelling would go down and stay down...That might draw the liquid off his knee more...

Since it's doing a lot of swelling, even if it's caused by the stress of "new exercise", I would really have the vet take a look. It's just not a good thing to have it constantly swelling again and again... Means that there might really be something going on in there - of course once you know what it is - you may opt not to do a whole lot about it (when we had a stallion fall and break off the tip of his hip/pelvis, we opted not to do invasive surgery. However, that "floating tip" caused some serious issues and pain many years later when surgery was no longer an option even if we'd been able to...).

Otherwise, I'm glad he's settling in for you! That's always nice.

Can't wait to see JJs foal!

Latest posts

Back