jj in foal? new mares pictures/soon jewel too!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paula

I have considered sweating it..but Have never done one, although I looked it up and know how to now. Calling around it will be $200 just for an exam and an x ray. That was the cheapest I found it. I had made an appt but didnt go today..and forgot to cancel.

I do not believe it is broken and if it was I would most likely opt out of surgery.so am not sure I see a point in the bill. . If it is not I am about 100 confident they will have me wrap and hose it since it does seem to help. I will most likely give it a few more days and then try a sweat. Where do i get DMSO?

If your local feed and tack stores don't carry it, almost all vet catalogs do (Valley Vet, Jeffers, Horse . com, Heartland vet, United vet). I have links to all on our links page. All of our local feed stores carry DMSO - it comes in different size bottles as well as a roll on. Even a roll on might be good for yours - but you can't make a mix that way. Use gloves on yourself when you use DMSO. Quite nasty stuff - you get some on your skin and you will TASTE it in your mouth. Some horses DO NOT like it - I've applied it straight to "capped hocks" on a paint mare that used to buck in her stall. She was a pain - had to straight tie and cross tie her because she'd go bonkers when it was applied - squalling like a stuck pig and hopping up and down. BUT it worked to take the swelling off the "caps". You want to also have them clean - as it works by osmosis. If the skin is dirty, it can pull the dirt thru the epidermis into the body as easily as it pulls excess fluid out of the body. Of course, scientifically it's more detailed - I don't know all of it anymore. I don't think I currently have any DMSO - been at least 8 years since I last used any. I would need to purchase new now if I need it.

I understand on the exam and xray. Do you have a regular vet you can just call to get some advice from? Just curious... And in some areas this time of the year is a little slower (our vets' busy months are Jan - April w/ foaling out and breeding). I've been able to ask some questions w/o having her come out - some answered via phone and some via email. But we've also agreed on a visit several times as well after discussing what was going on... Those decided on visits - are now $150 during daylight hours and more after dark or early in the AM to come out. Planned farm calls are $75 - before any procedure. If she's coming from home, she's only 20 miles from us... That's why I always do a group and also try to get some of my neighbors to bring their horses/ponies over as then we split the farm call charge (one neighbor figured out it was cheaper for him to have the vet come to his place too, rather than pay me to haul his horses and pay a portion of the f/c charge, LOL!).

Glad that he's getting better!

JJ has more bag tonight then she did today.not tight but growing.

I had snowflake( if you remember the weanling I got awhile back..the stunted one) and misty the witch who started this all..at my friends house as I was wanting to totally wean snowflake. She may be small but at 10 months old..that was just about enough. Snow kept getting out so i brought them home today. I have these 2 in with jj..and the new stud in with jewel, onyx and daisy. It was daisy he bred the last few days.

The way he is charging the fence at snowflake..i think he would kill her if he could get her. He also picked up the cat and flung it in the air today. Poor Skittles. I am not sure what has gotten him all in a tither. I know new horses again..but he did not show this aggressuion at all the past couple days.

maybe we will have another baby soon....

Sounds like he's improving when he's resting a bit, and hopefully will be on the mend quickly.

A growing udder is great news!

while we wait Onyx. I think I have decided on booze and blues after the storm

onyx6weeks.jpgonyx6weeksxx.jpg or ....any other suggestions ..now that we know she is a blue roan I think we can have a lot of fun!

pics taken with cell phone..not so good

she still thinks she can sit in my lap, she laid down beside me yesterday and she loves to eat hair

Beautiful, just beautiful! Hopefully she will have a little sister to play with very soon.
default_yes.gif

She really was well worth all your hard work and TLC, just look what a beauty you have there
default_smile.png

we will no longer have to do a JJ foal watch. After long consideration of what my end goals are with minis i traded JJ to a friend for a blue roan amha mare. I have all amha horses except for Misty of who i will keep and hopefully someday have the money to hardship her into amha. And little snowflake who is still just a mess..but a very loveable mess anyway and she will never be bred.

I told my friend I do not want to even see or know what JJ has. Her baby was moving last night as we exchanged mares..and it was very hard to watch them both leave.

But I have to have a path in this and my first purchases where very scattered with no plan at all. Now having an AMHA stud..I have to have a plan and a focus.

Thank you for waiting with me. If i do hear I will pass on to you who have been here. I do know she will be cared for very well as the people are the people I originally got misty from. So my heart is ok with that. So Onyx is my one and only foal for this year. But we will be having at least 2 next year around this time and I will surely be back here. Maybe even have a cam next year as adfter a few nights sleeping in a barn..I am ready to not!

Irf anyone would be so kind to look ap a pedigree for me..I would appreciate it. I am really wanting to know if this mare I got has ever foaled before. Thanks Lori

Goodness!! Well they say that sudden decisions are often the best ones. I wish you the very best of luck with your new girl - any chance of a picture and a few details? It is always good to have a plan in mind for the future and as you now have your new AMHA boy, I think you are sensible to go that route. How exciting - good luck with the coverings and hopefully we will have some new babies to welcome next year.
default_yes.gif

anna many things played into my decision. The main one being money. the cost to make my AMHA double reg AMHR and AMHR to AMHA so that I have double registered is outrageous. JJ wasAMHR and oversized for AMHA so in order to get registered babies I would have to AMHR stormy my stallion. I would like to but right at this moment it is not in my future. As it is I am taking from some pretty important places money to just get horses transferred. amha in to my name. I believe to get Misty from amhr to amha is 600? please tell me I am confused.

The other part was that stormy to the blue roan will produce 50% blue roan 50 %black. I like those odds. Also the new mare is pretty nice. She has her faults. She has a pretty head, but lacks in neck. Stormy does not lack in neck and has a gorgeous head and the combinaton may be very nice. A little fun to play with.

The llue roan was with a stallion..and I am praying she is not bred..Here's sophie lori

sophie.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I congratulate you on making plans for your herd. It's a very hard thing for many to do, but it is so beneficial to have a breeding plan and follow through.

I'm happy to look up any pedigree for you, just give me her registered name, and "I'm on it!"

6/06/2007 reg amha A183014 blue roan reg as grey Jets little sophie I'd love to know more abouth er background. Id their anyway you can tell if she foaled before and who dad was. She was running with a small bay stallion and I want to track him down in case she is bred. Thanks diane!

Lots of Komokos breeding in there, plus Bond and a few Van't Huttenest horses. Can't wait to see a picture of her and hopefully the stallion she might be bred to!

Do you understand all the abbreviations for color in the AMHA pedigrees? If not, I'll post them here.

SOPHIE.pdf

Attachments

• SOPHIE.pdf
    15.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
thanks diane,

I do not understand the abbreviations. not at all:>/ much to learn but I found and printed the abbreviations so I should be good to go. Thanks.

Looks like neither of her parents are a grey and one is a chestnut roan....one is a paint chestnut..so she is registered as a grey and shows the color of a blue roan..which I dont think is possible if i read the color calculator right..but grey didnt com eup as a possiblity either..witht helimited of info I put in ....Maybe another going to register the foal lets guess the color -and the guess has "bit the dust"

does one parent have to be grey for it to be expressed in a foal? How can 2 sorrel chestnuts make a black based blue roan?I am new to all this..but I am beginning to see a pattern here with registered colors...

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally goes to show you how mixed up the colors can be in the registry. We know where the roan is coming from -- but what a mess some of the other "combinations" are showing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back