pictures of new mares and filly

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crisco41

Reaction score
jj bay pinto in foal?

daisey skinny dunalino

snowflake 8 month old filly and she is a mess

they haven't stopped eating hay since I brought them home..and really ate from the salt block like they haven't had any

allsaltx.JPG

My questions regard snowflake. Has anyone experienced hind end weakness in a foal? Lady said when she was young she was told by friends to put her down as she was much worse..and she did excersizes and such for stifle lock. She told me she was all better but man I see a lot of weakness and wobble. I am sure her nutrition has been horrible as she is skinny and her momma looks like crap to me too.

can anyone help me know what to do to help her?snflakez.JPGsnflakez.JPGsnowflakew.JPGsnowflakex.JPG

It'll all have to be done slowly, you don't want to try to put on weight too fast, as that can cause problems too. At the very least Snowflake is going to need a foal or growth formula feed, and she'll need to be moved onto it rather slowly to not overload her system.

Hi - I've answered this briefly on the Mare and Foal forum. Good luck with your new girls, they are very cute!
default_yes.gif

My suggestion would be either a growth formula feed or a diet/ration balancer. Plus hay. You want that filly to have the proper balance of minerals as they are absolutely critical during the growth years. She could well outgrow her problems on the right diet.

I was having some leg issues with a colt I purchased year before last with his dam. Both were underweight and very wormy. After de-worming and weaning the colt at approximately 4.5 months of age, I attempted to get the colt eating better and more filled out. I tried a variety of products and his leg issues were getting worse and he was not gaining at 6 months of age. I contacted Progressive Nutrition and talked to one of their nutritionists. His advice was to put the colt on Progressive's Grass Balancer and grass hay. Nothing else. I was skeptical that I could get the colt filled out properly as I also wanted to show him. In just a few short months, he went from rags to riches on the grass balancer, Timothy pellets and Timothy hay. He was shown briefly, but ended the year with an AMHA World Championship and Top 10. He is pictured in my avatar and is now a stunning 2 yr old stallion. He is still on the same diet.

While genetics are important, the right diet is just as critical to proper development. Good luck with your new additions!

Love seeing photos of your new miniature family....

Becky if you don't mind me asking what were the quantities that you used of each (Grass Balancer, Timothy Pellets and Timothy Hay)?

Last edited by a moderator:
wow what a beautiful horse becky! HE had problems? Hard to imagine.when you say growth formula feed do you mean like omalene 300?

I have heard both omalene and calf manna are bad, Then I have heard its good,

I have been giving her all the hay she wants..now after researching it says to feed hay sparingly. and also build up amounts and don't give grain based foods for like 2 weeks?

she did get a small amt of vitamins,. mare and foal omalene 300, beet pulp, and timothy/alf cubes today.

There is too much contradicting information out there.

Kimberle, per Progressive Nutrition, I started this colt on Grass Balancer when he was 6 months old and he was getting 1.25 lbs per day divided into two feedings. That amount is the higher end of the range he could be fed for his age and weight according to the Progressive chart here http://prognutrition.com/pdf/GrowthChartDailyFeedPlannerSM05.pdf. According to the chart and his current age, he is now getting approximately 3/4 lb per day divided into two feedings. He also gets approximately 1 lb per day of Standlee Timothy pellets and about 1/2 flake of Standlee compressed Timothy hay. Not sure on the weight. This colt isn't working now. He's dry lotted most of the time with a few hours of sparse pasture per most days. He'll be breeding mares later this spring. I hope! Mystique is probably 31" or so now. He was 30.50" at the World show.

Really amazing to me that I could fit a horse for show on a basically grass diet. Tight underline (which he still has), great muscle tone and jet black coat. The diet balancers work if fed according to directions!

The Growth Formula feeds are generally labeled as such. I believe Omolene 300 is labeled for growth. One thing you have to be cautious doing, is feeding additives to a formulated feed. When you add additional vitamin/mineral supplements to a feed that has a vitamin/mineral pack in it as most commercial feeds do, you are throwing the vitamin/mineral ratios off and it can show up as leg problems and others in young horses. I would not withold hay to your yearling. I would likely feed her an alfalfa based hay and grass hay too. You can start feeding her a cup of feed twice a day and increase the amount as she will eat it. Good luck with her and I bet she will make rapid improvement.

Theyr all gorgeous..im sure you will have them all shining like the lil gems they are
default_yes.gif

Im very jealous..always wanted a tri-coloured mini..im hoping one day lil Dinky will produce the goods for me but until then i will share in the enjoyment of yours..hope your going to post lots n lots of pictures

Ulcers are also not uncommon in young horses, I strongly feel many thin weanlings and yearlings are that way because of ulcers caused by the stress of weaning and change to a grain based diet...

just an update on my mini family. JJ continues to grow. her belly is getting pretty big. She has tamed down and is actually pretty friendly. always looking for food

Daisy is slowly gaining weight.Her hair is starting to get some glisten to it. I love beet pulp. Daisy has the most beautiful little face. Nice little dish to it. I really want to shave it..but have been working very hard for her to allow me to even touch her..so will wait to shave until she trusts me more. I told someone on here that her 8 month old baby was weaned. NOPE as I saw her slurping quite happily.

Snowflake(daisy's 8 month filly) is still skinny, I can still feel her vertebrae well above her body. Her bones are still very prominent..but I do think she is gaining slowly. I trimmed her feet the best I could do and got some of the toe off. She still has difficulty with her legs, but I remain hopeful. She will only be a pasture ornament so as long as she can get around and is not in pain we will be ok.I just LOVE her very blue eyes.

and of course Misty. Still looks bred although she is not she is just a fatty .

Pictures coming soon!

I would feed Snowflake Purina Equine Jr. and grass hay and a mineral block and give her time. Best wishes.

They all sound like theyr doing great
default_thumbup.gif
..you certainly have filled your days lol ..good luck with the weaning hmmm my worst nightmare..i had my filly away from mum for a good 8 weeks..i thought everything was sorted when i finally reunited them but a few hours later what did i see,,her having a good old suckle and mums leg in the air!!..had to start all over again
default_doh.gif

I went through the weaning issues and the girls here gave me great advice. I had a yearling that I thought (and I should of known better) that the mare had weaned her naturally. The mare wasn't breed back and I caught the yearling nursing. The mare was getting thin by then and that was hard to see under a heavy winter coat. I had to seperate them four about 6 months since they had to share a fenceline before the milk was all dried up, the mare was in good weight and I could put them back together. All is well now. Note: I have had horses albiet big ones, bred horses and trained horses for years. I really thought the mare if given the chance would naturally wean the foal. Boy did I feel stupid!

I feed alfalfa and equine Jr to the youngsters... my orphan foal has blossomed on it over the last couple of months as is doing fabulous.

Congratulations on your girls. It sounds like your feeding program is getting under control. You must be relieved!

snowflake.JPGsnwfl.JPG

snowflake has a gorgeous face under all that fur. Just wanted to show you my lil diamond in the rough. Gaining wt slowly..coat looks just healthier, She.is now halter broke and we will start going for walks to build up her legs. She's a doll baby

below is a picture a few weeks ago..if that.I can really see a difference..wasn't sure if my eyes andheart were fooling me..but these pictures confirm to me..she may be on the mend

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back