Fewer Topics

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree and it's a shame. Because there are fewer people active, when people come here for help, they can't get any, get frustrated and leave. I have a breeding question right now and would love to get advice from 2 or 3 more experienced breeders to help me make a decision. But I probably won't get any response, so I don't bother to try. As far as other sites, there are a few facebook groups where you can get a bunch of "aww he's so cute" responses, but that's about it, as far as I know.

First I have to say that when I first joined this forum I felt very welcomed to the site. I've been a member of the forum for almost 2 years now and have learned a great deal from others, which I appreciate. I belong to no other social media or forums. No Facebook (Meta). No TikTok. No Instagram. No nothing. ( I am not anti-social. If I want to share something with someone, I either text or call them directly.) I love this forum. A place I can learn from others experiences and attained knowledge. I find it interesting to see what others are doing in other parts of the country (world). I also love that even though we all come from different areas, backgrounds and the like, that our horses bring us together. However, as much as I love this forum and have personally benefitted from many others helpful information and advice I have to say that I have felt "left out" at times. Many of you folks, obviously have been on this site for a while and are connected to one another which is great, but sometimes when conversations are taking place I have felt like if I post a comment, that I am intruding or interrupting. Example, the other day I just started posting about driving my horses which I've been doing on and off for about a year. I read the posts daily about who's driving and for how long, but I didn't know whether or not to step in or what was required to be part of the discussion. I am glad I posted about the driving because I did get a great suggestion for my next step. There's also a thread about ribbons. I'm glad people were receiving ribbons and the photos of them were great, but what's that all about? What were the ribbons for? Anyway, I have no idea whether others have had this same experience or, perhaps it's my lack of experience in sharing on line, but for me, it's kind of weird to bust in on a circle of friends. Thanks for listening :)

I figure if someone posts on a forum anyone who is a member is welcome to chime in. If they wanted it to be private they would privately message each other. But where is this thread about ribbons? I must have missed that.

I now understand that anyone that is a member of the forum can chime in, but prior to joining, I had zero experience on forums and didn't know what to do. I felt like I was interrupting an ongoing conversation and at times still do.
No biggie, It's probably, just me. I think the ribbons had to do with driving, but not sure.

First I have to say that when I first joined this forum I felt very welcomed to the site. I've been a member of the forum for almost 2 years now and have learned a great deal from others, which I appreciate. I belong to no other social media or forums. No Facebook (Meta). No TikTok. No Instagram. No nothing. ( I am not anti-social. If I want to share something with someone, I either text or call them directly.) I love this forum. A place I can learn from others experiences and attained knowledge. I find it interesting to see what others are doing in other parts of the country (world). I also love that even though we all come from different areas, backgrounds and the like, that our horses bring us together. However, as much as I love this forum and have personally benefitted from many others helpful information and advice I have to say that I have felt "left out" at times. Many of you folks, obviously have been on this site for a while and are connected to one another which is great, but sometimes when conversations are taking place I have felt like if I post a comment, that I am intruding or interrupting. Example, the other day I just started posting about driving my horses which I've been doing on and off for about a year. I read the posts daily about who's driving and for how long, but I didn't know whether or not to step in or what was required to be part of the discussion. I am glad I posted about the driving because I did get a great suggestion for my next step. There's also a thread about ribbons. I'm glad people were receiving ribbons and the photos of them were great, but what's that all about? What were the ribbons for? Anyway, I have no idea whether others have had this same experience or, perhaps it's my lack of experience in sharing on line, but for me, it's kind of weird to bust in on a circle of friends. Thanks for listening :)
I always enjoy your posts. You are an experienced horse woman and I pay attention when you post.

The "ribbon thing" is a sort of tradition begun several years ago as a motivational. We posted our driving time and Majorclemintine offered to log them. At the end of the year, cayuse offered to supply a ribbon to the driver logging the most hours. I do think the competitive spirit of it WAS motivational, but eventually it became a prize for top-ten, I believe. A ribbon we truly enjoy. And Majorclementine got too busy with a new baby and new house and lots of horses and it was too difficult for her to keep the spreadsheet. So, now it's a casual group post; many have come and gone (I miss them and all their valuable knowledge!)
The circle of friends ebbs and grows.

I agree and it's a shame. Because there are fewer people active, when people come here for help, they can't get any, get frustrated and leave. I have a breeding question right now and would love to get advice from 2 or 3 more experienced breeders to help me make a decision. But I probably won't get any response, so I don't bother to try. As far as other sites, there are a few facebook groups where you can get a bunch of "aww he's so cute" responses, but that's about it, as far as I know.
The "Nutty Nursery" used to be a hot place to be! If you go back to early posts, you will find lots of information. But that circle of support isn't the same, I know. I know zero about foaling, but I loved dropping in on that topic sometimes just because it was a horse thing.
I know what you mean about the "cute" thing. The other thing that made me leave those sites is the thoughtless jabs. Or silly people who think it is cruel to put a bit on a horse or hitch one to a cart and don't hesitate to tell me how cruel I am.
The other extreme are the sites where members are so advanced and so serious that I am intimidated. So I leave those sites also.
This forum, for me, is like goldilocks and the three bears--it is "just right"!

That's very cool about the ribbons. I have stayed off that thread since I don't drive so I never would have known. I know about the meanness online too. I see some of the ridiculous stuff about how cruel a bit is, how cruel a hot walker is, how cruel anything you do with your horse other than founder it with treats is. Why you should only buy a horse from a "rescue" for twice what it's worth. People repeating things they have heard others say with no real idea of the truth. I like that this site is fairly drama free, but I wish some of the more advanced and serious people would chime in more.

There also is a thread for posting walking and hiking with minis for us that do not drive, that hands out ribbons. Thank you @Cayuse (I walked 49 miles last year) The numbers have dwindled on there also. I don't have experience with many of the threads that are posted but sure due enjoy reading and learning what I can from all of you. I do appreciate this forum.

Seems FB is very popular these days, multiple forums in one location. I'm there probably too much; as I have my equine nutrition, miniature horse, and quilting forums all in one location. FB has some good miniature discussion groups (a couple are discussion only, no cutesy photo shares without a question involved). [I joined FB more than a decade ago, when three of my forums closed up, and many of those group members moved to FB.]

I used come here every day, but I no longer have the time. But I have noticed people weren't getting the responses to their questions as much. This forum has been a great resource to me, and many others. Hopefully, it will continue to be.
I totally agree with this post with regard to people not getting timely responses to questions. What bothers me more, is when individuals come onto the forum to post a question or concern about an injury or illness of a horse and then they disappear. I never get know what happened. If things turned out okay or what worked or didn't work to resolve the situation. Kind of leaves you hanging. I still try to check out the forum every day, because like HershyMint says you can learn so much from others even if your not involved in what they may be doing yourself. This is my only interaction with others that have mini horses and donks, so I'm sticking with it !!

I love this forum and like you all, have learned so much from reading the posts about different topics. I also appreciate the feeling of community even though we are hundreds/thousands of miles apart. I am glad people join to ask a question about a current problem or concern, but also hate that feeling of being left out and not knowing how or if things were successfully resolved.

Fingers crossed that Spring is just keeping everyone super busy. For some reason, I forgot how tiring it is to be outside in warm weather! It seems like one thing just leads to another and before you know it, it is time to fall into bed!

I’m struggling to get my day organized in some sort of orderly fashion, now that Spring has sprung. The only thing with any continuity right now are feeding times for the minnies and the donkey! 🤣

Interestingly, I found this forum when I was hunting for information about my Smokey pony (and actually found baby pictures of him posted by his breeder!), and stayed because I like seeing the pictures and learning from others' experiences. Smokey is my first pony and only second horse, so I generally don't feel qualified to answer anything. But I love to check in and read. Especially the pictures! :)

If I failed to welcome you in an earlier post…Welcome from north central Minnesota! Thank you for sharing what drew you in and what you enjoy about the forum. I think many of us can relate to not feeling ‘experienced enough’ to share but there is a wide range on this forum from newer horse owners to professional level. Jump in anytime and share anything about Smokey and what you do together from grooming and feeding to taking a walk! Are you in an area where you can walk with Smokey safely?

Are there many small horse owners in your area? There is one professional barn about 40 miles from here but no longer any small equine people in my immediate area.

If that is Smokey in your avatar, he is very pretty!😍

If I failed to welcome you in an earlier post…Welcome from north central Minnesota! Thank you for sharing what drew you in and what you enjoy about the forum. I think many of us can relate to not feeling ‘experienced enough’ to share but there is a wide range on this forum from newer horse owners to professional level. Jump in anytime and share anything about Smokey and what you do together from grooming and feeding to taking a walk! Are you in an area where you can walk with Smokey safely?

Are there many small horse owners in your area? There is one professional barn about 40 miles from here but no longer any small equine people in my immediate area.

If that is Smokey in your avatar, he is very pretty!😍
Oh yes, we walk. :) I don't know any other small horse owners in my area; my nearest big horse friend is about an hour away. So it's mostly just me.

And yes, that is Smokey in my avatar. His dad is a double registered modern shetland/ miniature horse. I never could track down his mom's info other than her name is Macy. She is presumably also a purebred shetland, as the breeder only breeds purebreds, to my knowledge. (I never met the breeder- the lady I bought him from let me know what background she could remember.)

Oh yes, we walk. :) I don't know any other small horse owners in my area; my nearest big horse friend is about an hour away. So it's mostly just me.

And yes, that is Smokey in my avatar. His dad is a double registered modern shetland/ miniature horse. I never could track down his mom's info other than her name is Macy. She is presumably also a purebred shetland, as the breeder only breeds purebreds, to my knowledge. (I never met the breeder- the lady I bought him from let me know what background she could remember.)
Hi @RebaRox, There is a thread Hiking and Walking with minis 2024. Where you can join us or we can join you :) You can record miles, hours or both and post pics if you like.

My apologies for the late appearance! I was "vacationing" this last week. Took a friend I haven't seen for 15 years all over Alberta. We were in Jasper in the Rockies and up the tram one day, then driving ponies the next and we just finished a trip down to Drumhellar in the badlands. It was good to come home to work and get back to my regular schedule.
Regarding forums, I'm not sure if they're dwindling in popularity or if it's the miniature horse that's becoming less popular currently. This was the first forum I joined and I love it here. Checking in is part of my daily routine. I have joined another horse forum and I don't participate much in it. Not many people relate to me. And there seems to be an over abundance of youngsters who fancy themselves trainers and are quick to tell me that I'm doing things wrong.
I like it here. Thank you all for being here and being awesome 💗

Latest posts

Back