jj in foal? new mares pictures/soon jewel too!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crisco41

Reaction score
ok here's the new thread for us. I will start with pictures of JJ. Old owner said she saw the breedings take place. She thought around July ish? I just got her today..and have not had a chance to bond. She steers clear of me in the corral but did come to the fence later tpo check me out. A good sign. I have her papers and will put soome info on here once I get them out of the truck

jj  n.JPGjj preg.JPGjjandaisey.JPGjjpregger.JPGjjjj.JPG

next is daisy. Daisy is also shy,,but I think she will be easier to break thru to. She seems curious. She has snowflake the 8 month old filly with her. I am most worried about snowflake.Daiseydd.JPGdaisyduke.JPGdaisyr.JPG

all at the salt block

allsaltx.JPG

I will be posting about snowflake on the main topic..as i am not sure I should on this foal watch one..and have broken a forum rule just the other day,.I would appreciate if anyone has a mind to to follow it over there.I could use some honest advice

You can post snowflake here, we don't mind, matter of fact, we insist on seeing her.
default_wink.png
The Aunties here on the MareStare forum are pretty flexible, and always insist on pics. [Just check out any of the foaling threads, and you'll find we veer off foaling sometimes while we wait on those mares that take forever. My thread has quilt pics, pics of the boys, pics of open mares and so much more. I guess about the only big rule, would be a whole board rule, and that is you can't post pics of horses that don't belong to you, or at the very least you must have permission to post the pic (such as the case of a foal's sire, when you don't own said sire). ]

Last edited by a moderator:
snowflake is about 8 months old..out of the skinny dunalino. I am sure her nutrition and all has been bad.She is VERY skinny under her hair. Has recently been wormed according to seller. I know she was at auction with her momma..and who knows if she had an injury. The lady that I got her from said at 1 point all her friends said to put her down. But that she did physical therapy excersizes and message and she was all better..Think she said she had stifle lock very severely?

well she is not all better and I hadn't seen her move until I went to pick her up. She is very weak on the rear. But Much improved from her former condition and will be fine according to seller.

I am going to start a nutrition program. They were very hungry and crazy over the salt block today.

what do people think would be the best way to do this? thanks in advance

snflakez.JPGsnowflakew.JPGsnwflake.JPG

Pretty girls!
default_smile.png
I'm sure they will warm up to you very soon. Glad they're with you now so they can get some proper nutrition!

Very slowly. Lots of questions, tons of question... What feeds do you have available to you (type, brand, hay, cubes, etc)? What are you currently feeding your first mini (what she gets may or may not be appropriate for those that need weight)? What were these mares on before you got them? [if you don't know, see if you can find out.] Are they all thin? Or just the Daisy and Snowflake? Might be more questions, but these will keep you busy for awhile.

looks like JJ is in good condition. I can't see or feel ribs. So just daisy and snowflake. My Misty is fat on hay. She gets bermuda right now and mixed grass. That is all,Mineral salt block of course

I have alfalfa pellets here..and also a local mill mix I like for my big girl. Oh and mare and foal ( will need to look up brand) that I got when I thought misty was bred. and bought calf manna, beat pulp pellets and vitamins today

I am going to slowly start all of them on soaked beet pulp as I love the shine and health it puts on them. And it was recomended to me by a very knowledgeable mini breeder for the horse I am getting from her. I would think it would be good for my skiniies.

Lady told me she had snowflake on like a cup of calf manna a day.

Both times I was there I saw no hay for them. of course that is just assumption

the weakness in her rrear has me worried...why do I ALWAYS do this to myself. Could have just walked awaay

Let me know what brand of mare and foal you have, so we can figure out how much is appropriate for Snowflake and probably Daisy as well. Sounds like you have a buffet of feeds to try. Soaked beet pulp is a good choice and easy to digest. Was Snowflake getting anything else with her cup of Calf Manna? What vitamins did you get? [i'm talking details, name brand for certain, not all vitamins are created equal.]

How big is snowflake? how big is Daisy? How old is Daisy? [And, we know Snowflake is 8 months.]

I don't know what to do about Snowflakes weak backend, but good nutrition will go a long way to helping her, I'm sure.

Quick reply as I'm in a rush! Start any new feed very slowly, plus I would be careful with the salt block, if they are going mad for it they could get 'oversalted' just like we can! Perhaps put the block with them every other day for a short while, or add a small amount of salt to their feeds until they get the balance right and stop devouring the block when you offer it?

For the moment I would not worry about the locking stifle - make sure the little one has 24/7 access to turnout and give her several months to slowly build up her strength generally and then we can look at the problem again. Also once you can handle her easily, get your farrier to trim off the toes of her back feet, but this needs to be done carefully - never get involved in a struggle when picking up her back leg, the leg and foot should always remain level/under her hindquarters when being cleaned or trimmed.

Good luck - they are pretty girls and very lucky to have found you.
default_yes.gif

They are adorable and I too am so happy that they have found you. You have received excellent advice already about feeding so I will leave it to the American girls as they know what types of feed are available to you. The only thing I would suggest is that you do a worm count just to be sure that they were actually wormed and correctly, also I would do a sand check as often starving horses will eat anything which can form a build up of sand in their tummies. Get a plastic see through bag (like the once you use to freeze food in) and put in some fresh poop that hasn't touched the floor (turn the bag inside out, put your hand in it and pick a bit of the top poop then turn the bag the right way) add some warm water and move it around and wait till the poop goes liquid, leave it still for a while then see at the bottom of the bag if any sand has settled.

I can't wait to see how they blossom under your care.

this is what I have here.

Dumor vitamin gold

standee alf cubes

a few pieces left in standee timothy alf cubes bag

purina omalene 300 growth

high protein bermuda grass hay and also mixed grass

calf manna

beat pulp pellets standees

today used a little measuring cup that when its full will hold 6-7 ounces of omalene.

I put 4 beat pulp "cups" 4 "cups" omalene mare and foal. about 14 part cubes of alf/timothy cubes, 1 "c" manna, 1/2 scoop of the vitamins( 1 scoop is for 1 big weanling) Now remember my cups are not actual cup size..I mixed it together soaked it..and gave everybody a few bites. Then I gave daisey and snowflake some extra. Not alot..maybe 2 real cups each. I have at least 3/4th of the mix left. Figure to spread whats left over today...with 2 more real cups( its all expanded) 2 more times today.

If I don't use it today I will put whats left in the freezer tonight and thaw it for morning feeding.

It sounds like a lot..but it didn't look like much. Also pretty much keeping hay out for them non stop.\

Hope this made sense.

I am sure snowflake has conformation problems that probably are extreley aggrevated by starvation

snowflake is very small.I am not sure of ht or wt...someone said she may be dwarfy by her pictures? I don't know. Nothing but bones and fur...

momma is around 31- inches or so I would guess. I couldn't imagine to guess what her wt is.Very finely built.

this is what I have here.

Dumor vitamin gold

standee alf cubes

a few pieces left in standee timothy alf cubes bag

purina omalene 300 growth

high protein bermuda grass hay and also mixed grass

calf manna

beat pulp pellets standees

today used a little measuring cup that when its full will hold 6-7 ounces of omalene.

I put 4 beat pulp "cups" 4 "cups" omalene mare and foal. about 14 part cubes of alf/timothy cubes, 1 "c" manna, 1/2 scoop of the vitamins( 1 scoop is for 1 big weanling) Now remember my cups are not actual cup size..I mixed it together soaked it..and gave everybody a few bites. Then I gave daisey and snowflake some extra. Not alot..maybe 2 real cups each. I have at least 3/4th of the mix left. Figure to spread whats left over today...with 2 more real cups( its all expanded) 2 more times today.

If I don't use it today I will put whats left in the freezer tonight and thaw it for morning feeding.

It sounds like a lot..but it didn't look like much. Also pretty much keeping hay out for them non stop.\

Hope this made sense.

I am sure snowflake has conformation problems that probably are extreley aggrevated by starvation

snowflake is very small.I am not sure of ht or wt...someone said she may be dwarfy by her pictures? I don't know. Nothing but bones and fur...

momma is around 31- inches or so I would guess. I couldn't imagine to guess what her wt is.Very finely built.
This sounds like a good place to start, and they can probably have all of that to share in one day; go with that amount for a few days before increasing it to probably that much each for the two skinny ones (slowly increasing your amounts over the course of a week, so you don't go too quickly for their systems). [Just watch them, they'll let you know if they can handle eating more daily, as long as they aren't wolfing it down.]

If Daisy is about 31" and fine built, I'm going to guess she should weigh around 175# (if thin, she probably doesn't weigh that, yet), maybe a bit more (definitely more with pregnancy). [My 31" fine built stallion weighs 175#, rarely more than 5# either way from that and looks really good at that weight. If you'd like to see his pic, either check out my HC Minis thread here on the board, he's somewhere on the last couple pages of my thread. Or, check him out on my website (link in my signature), his name is Paper Mache`.] Mares tend to weight a bit more than stallions of the same size and build, and defintely will weigh more if pregnant.

make sure you soak the beet pulp pellets before feeding, the pellets have a tendency to cause choke in prone individuals (horses that have been starved in the past are good candidates for choke as some tend to bolt feed to be sure they get it). If its available to you, Standlee also has a shredded beet pulp, and those can be fed dry, if you prefer to feed dry.

JFYI Daisy is a Silver Buckskin, not a Dunalino!

I would work on weaning the foal ASAP as then she will start eating properly, and ditto the mare- also, there will be nothing in the mare's milk now, anyway. You do not want to emotionally stress her too much until you have wormed, pared, got her feeding and at least started on halter training, but make it a priority.

Build her feed up slowly, she doesn't need her digestive tract over loaded, either, but this will be so much easier when she is separated, too.

thank you all. A silver buckskin? So really she is a silver buckskin pinto,,,cool! She has the prettiest little face. I will have to look it up. Can you explain what makes her that? She does have 1 partial blue eye also,

Her papers say palomino and she was sold as a dunalino. I think. If nothing else about mini's I am learning colors are all over the board.

baby is not nursing..mom is dried up.Wether it was an intentional weaning at some point in her history, or just that momma dried up,,I have no idea.

I am working on halter trainiging her. She is a good girl and won't take long. I brought her out in the yard for about 10 minutes so she could eat the little bit of green grass we have in the yard. It is bitter cold so I didn't stay out there long. Tomorrow is suposed to be warmer. I think she and I will be going for a nice long walk and do a little in hand grazing. She is starting to like me. JJ has actually warmed up a little more bravely to me then Daisy. I am very surprised by that. JJ is very much a wide load.

we have been so focused on my problem child..does anyone have an opinion oj=n JJ the bay pinto and pregnancy status? thanks!You guys are truly the BEST!

Oooo...I love all of your new girls! Especially JJ! So glad they have you now, and praying that proper nutrition will set little Snowflake straight!

All I do is rescue horses each and every week so I am completely in love with all these new gals! So happy they found you, and I am sure we will all be seeing a HUGE improvement in them very soon. Keep the photos coming!

snow flake has a bad cough and so I started her on tucoprim yesterday,.If it is not better in a few days we will have to go to the vet.

Someone advised I take the toe off her long feet. I did the best I could..didnt want to take off too much but got a bit off. Boy do her joints click:>( I did groom all the horses today and call me odd but I can see a healthier shine to their coats. It s not "there" but it is peeking out.

everyday they seem to get friendlier.

Jewel will be probably ultra sounded this week..and notthis weekend but next we are going down to get her. Excited

had to mention my dear sweet misty. I rigged up a surcingle and have enclosed a picture of what a gem I have. We are ready to progress on:>) I LOVE this horse, I my have been dissapointed she wasn't in foal..but I sure am not dissapointed in her. A great deal fo rme and she will always have a special spot in my heart

mistydrivingc.jpg

didn't hear snowflake cough today. She actually ran a little yesterday. although she is still very bony, it feels like her hip bones aren't sticking out quite so far. I can still feel them well..and every bone in her spine. I have an adorable picture I will add later after hubby uploads them off my camera.

Gorgeous Jewel was Ultra sounded today and is due somewhere the end of may first part of June. I am glad she has a little while to go before she foals. It will give me time to let her get to know me. And also if everything goes according to plan we may be at our 32 acres before she foals and she will have time to adjust there.

JJ has gotten very friendly and now allows me to toucch her all over. , misty comes when called and is a love bug, baby is giving her feet and showing a healthy curiosity. Her poor momma is afraid of human touch and just shakes when you touch her. we are working on her fear.

And there's my mini farm happenings:>)

I know a lot of people shy away from hand feeding treats, but it has worked wonders to help bring my two stand-offish horses around. One a stallion that was not handled much before I got him, the second a mare; both think treats are just wonderful. I'm still working on the mare; it was more important to get the stallion comfortable with me, than the mare, since he could do more damage and was worse about it, initially.

jj and daisyjanddaidy.JPG

Does she look lopsided to you?lopsidedjj.JPG

misty and snowflake snoozing

mistyandsnowflake.JPG

had to go make sure misty wasn't dead in this one

notdead.JPG

and homemade surrcingle..it's working good!homemade surrcingle.JPG

yes i have been hand feeding...I will worry about any bad habits later

Latest posts

Back