Redrock Miniature Horse Farm - Dream - maiden appaloosa mare *FOALED* 5/16 *New picture 7/23*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lori, I am so thankful the storm did not come my way, but so sad at all the devastation out there.

Your colt is just lovely, but I don't know about the change from pinto spots to appy spots.....As a pinto purist (no app blood anywhere in our mini's pedigrees) I just can't imagine this switch....But it does sound like a good way to do it and I am sure Diane can help you!

Both the fewspot and a snowcap are 100% homozygous for the appaloosa patterning/colors. Having either of these is an appaloosa breeders dream. Many people think that having a leopard will give them spotted babies. Not so. Leopards by themselves (say bred to a solid mare) will only throw their appaloosa genes 50% of the time. But taking a fewspot or snowcap to a solid mare will give you an appaloosa 100% of the time.

Say you maintain your pinto only program -- then you choose to take a pinto mare (with no appaloosa in the pedigree) to your new fewspot boy. You wlll produce a pintaloosa -- who will have the appaloosa patterning/color. Sometimes you see that people will breed a pinto to a different pattern type of appaloosa. The resulting baby may not get the appaloosa genes, and may turn out to be a pinto visually or even a solid. But to a fewspot or snowcap the resulting foal WILL BE appaloosa both visually and genetically.

Here are a few examples of pintaloosas bred from different pinto mares with no appaloosa in their lineage crossed with the same near-fewspot sire. This is Lola Rey and Ferrari. Without their sire being a near few-spot (or even using a snowcap) all of these offspring may only have been visually pintos -- but daddy was homozygous so they were guaranteed to get the appaloosa genes regardless that their mother couldn't contribue any.

lola8.jpg 431380_425794460789396_199649143_n.jpg

Here is a third pintaloosa whose sire was a leopard, but he was fortunate to have inherited the appaloosa genes -- but by no way was he guaranteed to have gotten them.

KAHLUA 1.jpg

To me, the pintaloosas have a "flashy" look -- having both the tobiano patterning as well as the spots. But foremost for appaloosa breeders is to have a 100% homozygous horse -- no different than the wonderful results Mary just got with her two homozygous patterned foals. Luna and Jake are a pinto breeders dream -- just as this new boy of your is an appaloosa breeders dream.

Hope that helps explain things a bit. If you have no interest in appaloosas, I'm sure an appy breeder would be thrilled to "take him off your hands" !!

Last edited:
Thanks, Diane. I'm not sure whether he'll stay or not, but either way, I'm going to enjoy watching him grow for awhile.
default_yes.gif

Thanks, Diane. I'm not sure whether he'll stay or not, but either way, I'm going to enjoy watching him grow for awhile.
default_yes.gif
You let me know when "awhile" is over
default_smile.png
I would make a trip to the moon for a colt like that to add to my herd! And I'm serious, don't be shy about letting me know when he needs a new home
default_smile.png

wow Becky! he is stunning, no wonder you are thrilled! he could even make me think of getting an appy lol.

I am so glad you guys came through the storm ok, it sounded horrible!! been keeping track of the amazing effort over here from Australia and the devestation just seemed horrific. I am so very very glad you pulled through it ok.

Becky, I LOVE your little guy!! And no one can explain the appaloosa patterns better than Diane! LOL What is the base color of his sire? Or did the 'red' come from the mare? Have you measured his cannon bones? I'm just full of questions, aren't I.............wonder why?!! LOL He does, indeed have a pretty head and big eye!!

Mom a silver-black (silver dapple) and dad a chestnut leopard -- so the color came from dad!

I wonder if we'll be seeing "someone" cross some state lines?

An appaloosa breeders dream horse and a great out-cross !

I will be doing some color testing on the colt. Find out if he carries silver, etc.

Pam, I haven't measured his canon bone, but I guesstimate he will mature around 32". His dam is 32" and his sire is 31.50" I believe. Centaurus looks to mature around that height range.

Ahhh there she is, my favorite girl Lola
default_smile.png
Those pintaloosas sure are stunning.

Thank you Renee. She was pretty special - and pure Falabella ! In her new home doing great!

Last edited:
I'm so glad that you stayed safe during that horrific tornado Becky - and thanks for the new pictures of your absolutely stunning little man, such an exciting prospect, if not for you, then certainly for some other very lucky person.
default_yes.gif

I'm liking this colt more everyday. He is nice, nice, nice! Even if he was solid color, he would be nice. I can't believe how lucky I got with my first appaloosa foal! He may be staying. I'd love to see him in the show ring next year.
default_smile.png

Thanks so much for the updated pictures Becky! He's really filling out nicely! And he looks like a little 'stinker'............or normal stud colt! LOL

Latest posts

Back