Eagles Ring- Spice-filly,Lotus-colt,Coco-colt-new pics pg31 videos pg 32

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a couple pics-so far Spice is not being the most loving momma gave her a little more banamine hope it improves soon or we might consider trying our mare who aborted last night hate to do it but considering Spices crankiness and she still only has a small bag we just might. We took her out earlier to do it and she was having a fit to get back with the filly so we are trying again

HPIM5837.JPG

HPIM5843.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
She is a doll! Hopefully Spice gets a bit more loving. I would just keep giving the filly some syringes of milk to keep her going and just tie Spice up for some good nursing if she isnt letting her nurse. The maidens usually come around with time, they just dont understand fully what happened or what they are supposed to do.

thanks for all the suggestions we are praying all works out the vet will be here in the morning with dopadrone (SP?) and to check them out

lol Chanda I guess I'm not in a giant hurry for those tests strips now

Congratulations!!! Shes such a cutie
default_smile.png

Oh Lori she is just such a doll. I am praying that Spice falls in love as soon as her pain eases off.
default_pray.gif

She's doing better Diane she has gotten up 3 x's for the filly to nurse without threatening her so as long as she has enough milk I think they are working it out. Before she would let her nurse 1x then threaten to kick if she came back again. I sure hope the dopadrone

tomorrow am helps does it usually take long to work. I haven't given anything from the other mare since early this afternoon by syringe and she still seems to have normal 1 day old foal energy....man this makes me nervous...her foal saver blanket was way too big so got to use our other small blanket on her tiny little self

lol Chanda I guess I'm not in a giant hurry for those tests strips now
Guess not, perhaps the next one due will let you try the strips.Such a little cutie, congrats.

With my first mini foal (going on 4 years ago), I was a bit worried whether or not she was getting enough, but I was assured if she has energy, she probably is getting enough and that she is just keeping the bag drained. I should have known she was fine, she came out chunky and pretty much stayed that way.

Yep Melinda, did you see how cute that was? she pestered mum until she got up and then nursed for about 3 mins whilst mum quietly munched her hay
default_thumbup.gif
Spice is in pain though and doing some rolling
default_thumbdown.gif

Diane so you can see too

Spice.JPG

So glad that Spice is settling down a bit with her sweet new daughter. May I ask if the birth was fast - I dont necessarily mean the exact birth, but the run up to it. A few years ago we had a maiden mare who suddenly went into labour when she really didn't have any last 'day or two' signs. The birth was a normal one for a maiden mare, but afterwards the mare didn't seem to realise that she had a foal and the foal seemed to be a little 'strange' - difficult to explain, but a bit like it had been shot into this world too soon, lots of scuttling around and with no idea of where it was or who it's Momma was. The mare was not nasty, but simply not interested, and spent several days just doing her own thing, eating her food, hay and drinking when in her stable and grazing when lead out in hand, totally oblivious of the baby who was with her (we didn't dare let her loose in the field because she would have wandered off leaving baby behind!) We did help baby to drink - mare had a very small bag but seemed to have enough milk - and she didn't mind, but if we weren't watching she would just wander away. The pair of them did eventually sort it out, but it was always baby who had to go find her Momma for a drink, never heard Momma call to baby if baby wandered off!! When it came to weaning there was no problem - Momma never noticed that her foal had gone missing LOL!!

Not saying that this is the same as Spice, but just wondering if something triggered labour and birth a couple of days too soon and caught Spice 'unawares' so to speak, even allowing for the fact that some maiden mares can take a while to get used to their new babies. I'm sure Spice will feel better with the banamine and as baby seems to have the drinking art sorted, they will both soon settle down for you.

Those two pictures that you posted are just sooooooooooooooo cute!!
default_hypocrite.gif

Yes Anna I just checked her when we fed Saturday night and she still had quite a bit of tail resistance I did not check her milk but her bag was not very large. As a matter of fact we brought our foal buzzer in for new batteries and decided to wait till tonight to put it on her. She did not show any signs that we say making us think she was real close. Art heard her on the TV in our bedroom early this am as she was rolling and hit the wall with her feet. The only other thing was when we got to the barn she had a white bubble but took about 5 minutes to have contractions that we saw. Foal is tiny but was tight being born once head was out went quick. She passed the placenta quite quickly and it was the first time we had a mare not lay down after foal was born till this afternoon.

If it looks strange when she is nursing sometimes she seems to prefer to have her butt facing the same way as Spices and nurse that way and I have seen her under Spices tail nursing between Spice's back legs ...go figure just to make it more of a challenge for me to see from the cam

Yep Melinda, did you see how cute that was? she pestered mum until she got up and then nursed for about 3 mins whilst mum quietly munched her hay
default_thumbup.gif
Spice is in pain though and doing some rolling
default_thumbdown.gif

Diane so you can see too

attachicon.gif
Spice.JPG

It was adorable! I am sure Spice is having pretty typical after labor pains. I have had mares lay down a lot like that too and have newborns learn how to nurse of the mare while she is down LOL! Just out of curiousity has anyone else found their mares lay down more after having banamine? Whenever we use it the mares seem to lay down a lot more than they normally do.

They are both up now Spice is being much better mom

I also just saw Spice take a good POOP maybe that will help her feel a little better

She is just adorable! Congrats on the lovely filly!!! I whispered to Summer this morning that I would love a foal for my birthday, I didn't get one from her but still got one from a fellow Auntie
default_smile.png
Cant wait for more photos!!

Latest posts

Back