Eagles Ring- Spice-filly,Lotus-colt,Coco-colt-new pics pg31 videos pg 32

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Melinda ...she is our first homegrown foal to have her own baby so I'm extra nervous this time around. Not to mention cold weather foaling's make me more nervous too getting baby dry is such a chore...more to be nervous about lol

I know what you mean, when our first home raised ones foaled it was nervewracking and still is, I dont think it ever gets easier when they are my babies that I raised. Hope you have lots of blankies!!! I keep telling my mares to hold off as long as possible for the hope of warm weather!

we're trying to be as prepared as possible ..heat lamp will only be on when we are at the stall, hair dryer if necessary, tons of towels, a few blankets plus we just got a foal saver blanket from sstack that does look cozy...can anyone think of other things to prepare for a cold weather foal that's out of the ordinary for a fair weather foal?

Do you like your Sstack foal saver blanket then, I wonder if they changed the style since I had bought one? Didnt fit well at all for me so maybe they changed the style. I had trouble finding ones that I liked the fit of so just started making my own. I like fleece blankets since they draw moisture from the foals. Lots of straw or hay for bedding in the stalls is good too, helps keep them warm if they can lay in a big bed of straw. For my cold weather babies I find it is essential to give them a syringe or two of colostrum right away just to give them a jump start. I am just so excited for foals, I just have to get my foal fix through others for now LOL!

Thank you Diane - must admit that we do go over the top where bedding is concerned LOL!! Plus you took the words out of my mouth as I read through the earlier posts - loads of bedding to keep out all draughts and give baby a warm bed to sink into every time it lays down.
default_yes.gif

Thank you ladies I'm nervous with the really cold weather we have had lately. I think I got it as covered as possible. Thank Melinda for the jump start suggestion too I'll keep that in mind. And Melinda the foal saver blanket is the first one we have bought our others are fleece It looks real nice but no one to try it on yet.

Hey everyone I thought I'd give an update on Spice since I haven't been able to post from home with the posting problem on the forum I'm in work so will keep it short.

Nothing dramatic changing her udder is growing some, still tail resistance and butt not very squishy she is starting to rub her butt on the wall and getting a little annoyed. Since she is a maiden its hard to tell. But we haven't put the foal buzzer on her yet I think she still has sometime to go. I wish she would have taken advantage of the warmer weather here the past couple days . we have a rain storm coming thru tonight then back to cold weather.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still can't post on the forum from home I tried the refresh and restarting browser ...windows 8 ...hate it...lol

anyway a quick update with nothing new from work computer. No big changes in Spice seems she still has some time to go. Her bag is slowly filling I hope I can post by the time she is close
default_sad.png

Your Spice girl is a beauty! You have some gorgeous horses and I have always been fond of your little Coco Chanel girl for obvious reasons ... love those "Awesome" kids! LOL I just read up on some foaling info, upside down foal presentations, etc.... WOW! Takes the thrill and excitement and anticipation to a new height doesn't it!!!!!! YIKES!!!

I just hope and pray this foaling season is safe and blessed for all!

Yes I also had a couple of frustrating days after the updates, cant remember now what I did to get back to normal (have the memory of a fish!) but do remember logging in and out a few times. Also clicked on the 'funny' icon - top left - when I went to post and that helped.

Hope you can get it sorted soon - we need more pics of your pretty Spice!
default_yes.gif

I'll try to get pics tomorrow its snowing here again tonight...rats

Lynne I can tell the handsome guy in your alvadar is "Awesome" related Thanks for the compliments on our horses. We have been lucky enough to add a few really nice mares to our herd this past year.

Look I can even use the return key again to go to the next line

Hey Diane

we usually leave our cam on all the time but horses are out during the day till about 7pm eastern time so sometimes the cam is dark since the barn lights are off and its gotten dark outside. But ours does freeze here and there too. I'm bummed because I have to watch Spice on internet explorer and can't bring up any cams on aol . I wonder if I can try bing or something like that.

No real change in Spice still a lot of tail resistance butt a little squishy but not a lot and udder is still not very big. I hope she hurrys it up its suppose to warm up a little after the storm tomorrow so to catch a warmer week would be great. I still haven't gotten the pictures I said I would hope to get them soon.

Our horses will probably be in all day tomorrow though as we expect rain all day then snow

Last edited by a moderator:
someone is a happy bunny cos breakfast has just arrived
default_yes.gif
Closing cam now as I have a stiff neck
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

Spice seems to be getting closer at least her bag is not going back down when she's outside for the day but its still not real full. Makes me wonder if being a maiden she will fill like I used to before foaling. But time will tell

The maidens seem to keep us guessing, and some fill right at foaling time. I had three maidens last summer, luckily it was smooth sailing for us, and they all had little bags til foaling time, then they got pretty good sized.

The maidens seem to keep us guessing, and some fill right at foaling time. I had three maidens last summer, luckily it was smooth sailing for us, and they all had little bags til foaling time, then they got pretty good sized.
I did try the milk strips with my mares, and they were actually pretty good indicators, but I was still surprised with foals on the ground, as they went from close to ready to foal on the ground in no time.

Ok tomorrow night she gets her foal buzzer on...before she takes us by surprise. I didn't try to get any milk yet ...I gotta buy new test strips looks like a trip to walmart next week....if she waits that long. I super nervous this year (can you tell? lol)

Latest posts

Back