Tony's Little America Too Incredible

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so sorry to hear about all of your losses. What an awful time for you all. Very sorry.

Tony, our deepest sympathy on your many losses. I can only begin to imagine what you and your family are going through. I know with our little bunch I'd just curl into a ball and never want to come out.

We know some people that went thru several hurricanes in Florida and had losses with their herd and watched their precious mares and babies suffer. They couldn't take the strain and have cut their herd drasticly over the past several years.

Don't lose your self to dispare and give up as they and perhaps others might. Please don't pull away from the support you can get from others especially here on this forum. Some, unthinking, might criticize but the rest feel your loss, not as deeply, but hopefully enough to lend you the support you need to get through this newest (longest) trial.

Bless you and yours.

Tony I am very sorry to hear that you have had further bad luck with the loss of some, and more attacks on others. Do you think the recent attacks would be dogs, or coyote packs? I hope you will be able to once again find out what is going on and get rid of the culprits- what an awful mess.

Hang in there- just a thought- what if you had a 'production sale' or something and used that for further fencing? Any way you could invest in some solar electric fence along there? There just has to be something that would not break the bank........

Not a good way to end the year and start a new one- hugs to you and hope the year gets better.

Tony, I am so sorry for your losses. I can't even imagine the heart break. We all know that no matter how much we try to make things safe for our horses, stuff happens. I hope that time & prayer will ease the pain.

Take care

Janis

default_no.gif
Toni, I know the loss of one of my horses was tragic enough to me. But to be able to handle all that has happened to you almost impossible. Please know that everyone is praying for you, your family, & your herd. Prayers can work miracles & we will continue to pray for things to get better for you & to help you handle everything that has happened lately. With Our Deepest Condolences.

Maybe everyone can say a Prayer for Toni & his family & Herd. The Power of Prayer is Unbelievable.

default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

Tony, I am so very sorry to hear about your losses, sending prayers your way in hopes you have a better year, I to would also love to visit your farm some day, it sounds like its incredible and your horses are beautiful. My prayers go out to you.

l'm so very sorry about the losses you have endured with your minis.. l would be nuts by now shooting twice and thinking once...wishing you and the herd a safer happier 2008.

Tony....there are NO words to adequately express my sadness in reading about your recent heartbreaking losses.
default_no.gif
I honestly don't know that I could continue on...if I had to go thru what you & your family have with all those dog & coyote attacks. Just don't think I could take heartbreak after heartbreak.

My prayers and sincere condolences go out to you in the loss of the gorgous little horses....and hopes of better things coming your way.
default_yes.gif

I don`t know what to say other than I am so very sorry for your loss.

I will keep your family and your horses in my prayers for a resolution and some peace once again.

I really hadn't publicly mentioned any of our recent losses, but while Carol and I were in NY babysitting our grandson we lost Little America's 007 Rowdy Tornado. My helper went out to feed and he was laying in the pasture near the feeders.

tornadoe_headDSC_0897.jpg

A couple of days later he found Little America's What a Dream floating in one of our ponds.

whatadream3_9_4face.jpg

The next day he found a 26" yearling, Little America's Struttin' Mr Beads, hung in a gate leading into the foaling barn.

beads_mikeDSC_1224.jpg

Then the day we got home, I gave my help the day off and I found a filly, Little America's Star Boogie, that he had been treating for a respiratory infection, dead in her stall.

starboogieDSC_9515.jpg

Then, just a few days later we started having dog attacks in the back pasture which is eighty-five acres in size and had 148 mares wintered there. Most of them were not too terribly damaged, and actually none were killed, but one had to be put down because of the extent of her damage and she was in foal and went into shock. Two others died two days after being attacked when they went into labor and shock.

barbie_doll.jpg
Roy's Toy Snippet's Barbie Doll

brandywinepistolcherrywineDSC_5408rd.jpg
Brandywine Pistol's Cherry Wine

nikiDSC_3592.jpg
Harrell's Nikers to Me

After the second attack in two days, we started bringing up the mares to the barn and front pasture every night, and putting back in the big pasture during the day. Five nights we were unable to get a good count and missed from three to five mares in the pasture, and three of those nights, we had a mare attacked each time. A total of ten mares have been attacked, but none for the past month, but we can't continue putting them all together once we start our breeding program. We are fairly confident that the attacks in the back are the work of one dog, perhaps two young ones, because the damage is taking off ears, damage to hocks, and damage to vulvas. However, in our stallion pasture we are fairly certain that the damage to Too Incredible and also to a 23" yearling, Dipstick, who was sold, is the work of coyotes. I awoke one Sunday morning and saw something out the window of our upstairs bedroom standing over a horse. It looked like a horse, but when I got on my glasses, I saw that it was a coyote, bigger than our smallest horses, with another watching only yards away. When I got out, I found that it was Too Incredible and he was completely gutted. The very next day, we found less than 200 feet from our house, Dipstick, also gutted completely. We now bring all the stallions into the foaling barn lot at night with lights on them.

Little America's Too Incredible
tooinc_rungood.jpg

dipDSC_1072.jpg
Little America's W T Dipstick

I hadn't posted any of this because I really didn't want anyone to even know about it. Some will be very helpful, some will think that we are just uncaring, some will want to understand. I just want to get through it.

For those of you who think you have ideas for us, we already have six guard dogs, plus seven babies just born yesterday. We have seven llamas, we have six miniature donkeys, one Shetland mule, three full size mules, three guns, two animal control officers, one coyote trapper, and a full time employee who always carries a gun. NO, we cannot afford the estimated $40,000 plus to replace the fences on two sides of our property.

Sorry this is so long, but guess after two months just needed to vent.
Oh Tony I wish we were close enough to just sit and have coffee and tell you how much we feel your pain..it comes through in your post and we also know it from all your previous posts on here as to how much you love your horses..You need time to heal and get past this..Carl and I wish you peace and solutions in the future. Remember most of us on here are friends and we care! Maxine

Oh no! That is just tragic that they lost all those horse, especially so close together. I am very sorry that that all happened.

Im so very sorry for your losses! I dont know what else you could do either, u have tried everything.

My thanks to all of you.

Tony. I'm so sorry for your losses. I could not come close to know how you are feeling. This has brought tears to my eyes. And the response from everyone is beautiful. I don't know anyone yet. I'm new here.

But I own mini's. The way everyone stands by each other, whether it is a lose or a new baby. or a bad hair day. you are all great. My prayers are with you Tony and family.

default_no.gif
We have coyotes to and have been fortunate enough not to have had this happen. It seems no matter what you do sometimes it is never enough to protect them...I honestly cried looking at those pictures of your babies and what they meant to you...Your family is in my prayers and I do hope things get a little better but I also realize nothing will replace those lost...
default_pray.gif
for you!

To the whole Greaves Family - including staff I am so sorry for all your losses in such a short time span.

There are no words adequate enough but your in my thoughts and prayers.

I’ve yet to meet you and tour the farm (its on my to do list) but everything I have heard about your farm is nothing but positive and all comment on how much you love each individual horse you have.

My sincere condolences and prayers

Cyber HUGS

Christina

I am so sorry to hear of your losses. My heart goes out to Tony and his family, and staff at Little America.

Sincerely,

Freida

Silver Ridge Minis

Tony, I'm so sorry to read this. It has to be so hard for you and your family to take these loses with your lovely horses. And such tragic losses sometimes. I guess you have learned to pick up the pieces and go on but I hope that is the end for a long long time for you. May God bless you on your love for the miniatures.

Joyce L

Latest posts

Back