The Rainbow Bridge is a little noisier these day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
Our Little Duck crossed the Rainbow Bridge on 12/23. She was much loved and will be very much missed by those who knew her.

I had to share a few memories I have of her. The day she was born I sat in a cold barn waiting and watching outside the stall. Jasmine was so happy I was there with her. When I reached my limit of cold I decided to race home and grab a potty break and some good fresh hot coffee. It really didn't take me that long. Coffee in my thermos and headed back to the barn. Walked in and standing there already dried off and big enough attitude for several new foals Duckie just looked at me and went for the nipple. I was shocked as I saw this little foal who had an amazing amount of white. Kind of looked like one of those Dutch Belted Cows standing next to her solid black Dam. This little filly had long legs to spare. It didn't take her long to start letting Jasmine know who was going to be the boss. As she grew she made many friends and was always the one to hang out with the underdog in the pasture.

For awhile she shared the pasture with her yearling brother Chip. What fun she had as she would run over to him. He would then chase her and back to mom she would run. At which time Jasmine would then punish Chip for chasing her little baby. Seriously he never learned. This has become a great joke between Erin Moore and I about how he would then slap himself in the forehead with that Duh look on his face.

Her next great friend and playmate was my little Shorty Pig. They would chase each other and have such good times. Until that fateful day Shorty stopped too quickly and Duckie made the jump to clear him. She just caught him with the tip of her back hoof. Didn't hurt him but it sure changed their relationship. After that I no longer let them play together. So she would go stand by the fence and stare at him. At which point he would then start squealing and squealing louder and louder. I would then open the window and tell him to just walk away. He wouldn't it wasn't near as much fun. He would then lay right by the fence and she would stand next to the other side head hanging sleeping. The day before Shorty passed away he got his opportunity as I was walking Duckie by. He planted his nose right on hers as if to say good bye. She was right there standing at the fence head hanging very quiet when as were all the others when he took his last breath. It will send chills through your body. I know Shorty was there waiting for his best friend at the Rainbow Bridge. I can hear him squealing up a storm right now and all these others telling him to just shut up. Been there know how it feels. Nothing like that ear piercing sound of a piggy squealing.

When she went to visit Ron and Dorothy I know she took her attitude with her. Afterall she knew she was so much smarter than humans. She always thought she was. But even so she made them fall for her. To become Ron's CDE partner was her greatest achievement. She did that. I can't tell her now how truly proud I am to have known such a great horse. Oh she never brought home any blue ribbons. But I always knew she was special. Her love for everyone really showed thru.

Godspeed Little Duck. You will be missed here on Earth but you can now teach all those with wings how to truly fly above the clouds.

Please send your condolences to Ron and Dorothy. She really put them through 3 long days and nights

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry to hear of the loss of such a special little one....

So sad. Thank you for sharing those memories
default_no.gif

It sounds like Ducky was a very lucky little Duck to be well and truly loved for her time here. I am glad for you that you, Ron and Dorothy have such good memories to get you through this sad time. I am very sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png

I'm so sorry for your loss.
default_no.gif
It sounds like she was quite the character and had a wonderful home.

I knew Ducky was one of a kind the first day I met her. She told me in no uncertain terms. There was no denying that this little horse had, um, a great sense of herself. After slathering me with kisses, she joined the other more nonchalant horses eating apples at the fence -- then she returned for more kisses, despite the green slimy, foam covering her mouth. But how could you say no to that face?

I always consider my friends' horses to be my nieces and nephews, but even by that measure, Ducky was special. She made the transition from pasture ornament to driving horse easily, as if she were simply waiting for her turn. I consider myself lucky that Ron let me drive her -- that's a great memory.

Marie, Ron and Dorothy, I know all too well how you feel. I love all horses, but amongst their universe there are those who outshine the rest. Duckie was a star

OMG NO! What happened?

I'm so very sorry that she crossed over, leaving all her humans and loved ones to mourn her loss.

She was loved and admired. I know that Shorty is very happy to now get to play with her all he wants!

{{{{Hugs}}}} to all

so sorry for your loss , she sure sounds like on special little lady

She was so loved by so many people. I am so terribly sorry the hurt that is left after they leave. I never got the privilege to meet her, but know that lots of great people loved her. I am sorry for your loss.

What wonderful memories you have......My condolences to you, Ron, and Dorothy.

Awhh-- many condolences. I always loved reading about Ducky and your driving adventures. She will be greatly missed on the forum.
no.gif

I'm so sorry you lost your Special girl - my sincere sympathies to all concerned.

Thank you everyone. Duckie was very special. I couldn't have found better owners for her than the Whitemans. Now I have all these memories just bouncing around in my brain. She always was a rule breaker and now she has broken my golden rule. I am supposed to go first. I have told all of them that but she obviously wasn't listening as usual. I am so blessed to own her Dad, Mom, Aunt and full brother.

I know God always takes the special ones and he knows what he is doing at all times. But this time, really What Was He Thinking? It has been and always will be all about her. She just had that attitude about her.

Latest posts

Back