Summer/Mindy Foaled on 4/1/13!! Colt!*NEW PICTURES & VIDEO OF SMOKEY PG. 41* 5 WEEKS OLD

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SummerTime

Reaction score
Hello!! First my name is Mindy.... I have been dying to post my month long woes with all you "experts"!! I have not been able to post until this morning.... So I apologize if this is long! I have been reading everyone's experiences on here and would love to get your advice and insight on my current situation! I just have to say that the kindness and non judgmental ways on here is what lead me to post! I have read some really ugly, mean forums on other sites! YIKES!!! Ok, so on to my situation!!

All about Summer:

Summer is my just turned 5 yr old this month Miniature mare. She is 33" tall. Her sire was Indian Creeks Dusty Cloud and her Dam was Bit O Silver. I have owned Summer since she was 10 months old. I trained her to drive and my 6 year old rides her around a little bit. (but dont worry, he hasnt rode her for a while, and now is a little to heavy for her, so he has to start riding a bigger horse now) She has a wonderful personality and is just a sweety! She is a maiden mare and was pasture bred to a 2 yr old 31" stud (which is now a gelding). His name was Dusty. I sold him to a wonderful girl that is now showing him, 2 weeks ago. he placed 2nd in halter at his 1st show!!! I was super excited about that! His sire was Alliance Unforgetablly Grand and his Dam was Bond Buttons Dream C II. Ok... kinda got of subject..LOL. Back to Summer.... I saw them breed on April 15, 2012 . That is the only time I saw them... They were very sneaky about it. So if I go off of that date she would be 344 days today.

OK! So at the beginning of the month she started showing some STRONG signs. Loose vulva, she looked dropped, rubbing her rear on the panels in her barn at night, raising her tail alot, peeing small amounts of cloudy strong smelling pee, and pooping alot. Her bag has been filling up and is quite firm now, but I cant get anything out, and I used to hand milk a goat so I dont think its my milking skills! LOL

So I thought she was going to have it a little early, I have been watching her from my RV which is right by her stall (this has really helped ALOT!) and getting up every hour or more checking her. Needless to say 27 days later... Im a little sleep deprived!! I have 2 boys 10 and 6, that I homeschool, so this no sleep thing is becoming quite challenging!

She seemed to regress and now has a tight vulva again. Im beginning to think she is never going to have this baby!

What do you guys think?? How much longer do you think she will go?

Here are some pictures....

First one is Dad at his first show. (I got permission to post the picture)

The ones of Summer are from 2 days ago and the last one of her bag is from yesterday.

Im sure Im leaving out some details so please feel free to ask anything you want!!

Thanks for your help in advance!

BTW, this is my first and LAST mini birth, so Im really nervous! I did have a QH mare about 13 years ago give birth but i missed it... LOL.

DustyShow.jpg

SummerAreaSat.JPG

SummerbagSat.JPG

SummerbehindSat.JPG

SummerSideSat.JPG

SummerTummySat.JPG

SummerBagSun.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mindy and welcome to the Nutty Nursery. Here anything goes but attitude so feel free to share all your secrets with pics here with us
default_new_rofl.gif

Now down to business. These two are adorable and I can't wait to see their little one. Summer is looking great and for a maiden has a super udder going there
default_thumbup.gif

Her tummy needs to move forward slightly as baby drops down into "take off" position but this could happen very fast. Have you looked inside her vulva to see what colour it is? We look for a nice red colour to tell us she will foal withing 24 hours. An hour between visits is too long as they can go from nothing to having the foal in about 10 -15 mins as another of our members found out yesterday. She had been gone 45 mins and when she returned baby was half out
default_thud.gif

If Summer will oblige can you take a pic of inside her vulva for us to see.
default_please.gif

Once again WELCOME

Renee

Thanks for the fast response!

I actually had a picture of her "area" but was scared to post it LOL! Here it is.. Still a pink color. This photo actually makes it look a little brighter than it is. This was from 2 days ago. Would yall like fresh pics from today? I'll go out and take some more!

NO it didnt make it look darker! It looked darker on my phone but on the computer this is the exact color.

summarea.JPG

I think it's wonderful all that you've been able to do with your mini and how long you've had her. One thing that has given me peace is testing her milk for ph level and calcium. I've been able to at least get some sleep at night. I too have a maiden, and she's tightened up in her vulva too. It's so frustrating with a maiden! One never knows what's going to happen! UGH!!!
default_frusty.gif
default_frusty.gif
default_frusty.gif

/monthly_03_2013/post-45156-0-39583100-1364221550.jpg/monthly_03_2013/post-45156-0-46833700-1364224172.jpg

That's great, we can compare them and see how she progresses.
default_thumbup.gif

Welcome Mindy!

The daddy is just so handsome and little Summer is precious! I also have a "Summer"
default_smile.png

The pictures are wonderful, and her udder is very impressive for a maiden! I was going to say the same as Diane, her vulva does look elongated and especially puffy in the first pic. Her udder also looks bigger to me in the photos from today. Oh and don't ever be afraid to post photos, we LOVE photos! Its very nice to be able to go back and look at what you have documented, pictures show how they progress. Some of these threads are like reading very interesting books! With her udder I think you will see a baby pretty soon, especially since maiden's can be so darn sneaky.

Do you have any other critters? We would love to see them if you do
default_smile.png

She is moving foward fast.
default_yes.gif

/monthly_03_2013/post-45156-0-39237100-1364219265_thumb.jpg/monthly_03_2013/post-45156-0-84465600-1364224111_thumb.jpg

Thanks Gone_Riding! I love my girl!! I would like to do the ph testing but I cant get anything out of her!! I dont know how she can be so bagged up and theres nothing coming out. I could milk out a goat in 5 min, but my milking skills are not helping me in this situation
default_no.gif

Thanks Eagle! That was really fast and cool!!

Lexischase Thanks for the compliments! I hope theres a baby soon! I dont know how much longer my family can put up with me!! LOL I havent slept in the same bed with my husband in a whole month!! LOL Im really trying to enjoy the whole experience being this is my first and most likely last.

I have LOTS of critters running around here!!

I have 2 geldings besides Summer. One is a 22 year old Tennessee Walker and the other is an 11 year old Retired police horse from Houston. He is a 16.3 HH Thoroughbred. So I went from 33" to 16.3 HH!!!! That was a little adjustment!! HAHA

We also have around 20 something chickens... I lost count!

2 dogs. A great pyr and my 12 year old dachshund.

Oh and 2 fluffy cats.

Here are some pictures!

Charly&Blaze.JPG

Charly&Me.JPG

charlystickingoutton.JPG

jack&charly.JPG

jojandbuffy.jpg

RED00.jpg

Charly Running.JPG

Cotton.JPG

SummerTime.JPG

The gray horse is Charly, the retired police horse. The Sorrel is Red, he was a "bought" rescue... lol.

Cotton is our pyr, she protects Summer and soon baby to be, and the chickens.

The horse is the first pic with the blaze is Blaze, haha.He is my sisters horse that was also a "bought" rescue. He was with Red and we bought them together.

Charly really likes to stick his tongue out....
default_risa_suelos.gif

Hi and welcome Mindy! That was me that returned after 45 min to find baby partway out
default_doh.gif
default_whistling.gif
One thing I noticed the day my maiden mare foaled was that she looked like her center of gravity had dropped. Where she looked big and round before, that last day she looked narrower through her upper ribcage and upper flank--I guess that falls under the "slab sided" look. Your Summer is beautiful and so is Dad! No expert here, obviously, but I don't think you have long to wait!

Edit: love your latest pictures! You have a beautiful bunch! Love the chicken and the tongue pics...adorable!

Hello SugaryCharm! I just read through your post, congrats on a beautiful baby!! Your mare is so pretty! I love her coloring!

I hope she has it soon! She has had that slab side look for almost a week. From behind you cant even tell shes pregnant. I wonder how long they can look like that??

I'm starting to wonder if she didnt take that first time and bred again a month later without me knowing??? Do you guys think I'm a month off??? Lordy I hope not!!
default_ohnoes.jpg
default_crybaby.gif

Thanks for sharing your family pics, does the 2 legged member have a name too ?
default_smile.png
Amanda will get very excited when she sees your doggy
default_yes.gif

I feel your pain. No camera's and no alarms.

I have 5 mares remaining. The first mare(maiden) due is now at 354 days, with no end in sight. She is dropped, fully bagged up, elongated vulva, and very uncomfortable.

I have a mare that is 314 days that may foal before the maiden.

Hello, and welcome from Maryland. Your lady in waiting is just beautiful and yes she looks like she could foal at any minute. Mini mares don't always follow the rules and can progress in a matter of hours or weeks, just never know. Good luck with your foaling and I'm looking forward to baby pictures.

YES!! Magic Marker Minis!! Im having to do this all on my own, no camera, no alarm. Im doing all I can to watch her. Its such a hard balance between taking care of my family and watching her! Its really starting to wear on me. And now both of my boys have been sick
default_crybaby.gif
Thankfully my husband, even though he has no interest in horses, has been very understanding and helpful! Im so ready to get my life back to "normal" if it ever was that! HAHAHA!!

Im even ok with missing the birth at this point, IF everything went ok. But its to scary for me not to be there.

Just to show how tired I am here is a great story:

So I was so tired one night that I dreamed I set my alarm to wake up in an hour.... Well I jerked awake 5 Hours later in a complete panic, ran to the window, looked out and saw a tiny, dark brown, wet baby horse laying down!!! I grabbed my phone and called my sister (she lives on the same property as me and is equally excited and freaking out a bit) and I said "She had it! We missed it!" so she comes speeding down here like Cruella Deveal on 101 Dalmations. Well in the meantime, I gather all my stuff and run outside. Im so confused when I get to the barn and Summer stills looks largely pregnant and looking at me like Im a crazy loon, and theres no baby in sight! Here comes my sister and Im trying to figure out how not to totally freak her out, and I start laughing and crying at the same time, and tell her there is no baby!!! I guess it was Summer's shadow on top of me hallucinating because of being so extremely tired!!! I swear there was a baby laying there!!! I swear!! It was so funny but at the same time so sad! I felt so bad I woke her up for nothing.
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

I guess there had to be a least one crazy thing happen.....

I'm glad I'm not to that point yet! My hubby has gotten in the habit of looking to see what my maiden is up to when he goes outside, so that if he sees me, he has something to tell me. I always ask, even if I just checked her! I wasn't this uptight over my own kids! I hope you are able to sneak in a nap today (while NOTHING happens)!

This is the third day in a row I have waken up before my husband. I NEVER did that before as he is an EARLY bird, but I just gotta check Sadie!

Hello RiverRose28! Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

Eagle, the wildest animals on this farm name's are Jackson and Joseph. They keep me very busy

Latest posts

Back