Our 2012 Foals...And My Feelings On Dwarfism

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hats off to you RRT, you have shown a great deal of courage and honesty in your decision. I like to think I would have done the same in your position but since I am no longer breeding I have been spared the need to live up to my convictions. I agree with what ohmt said, you are absolutely "one classy lady"
default_worshippy.gif

Thanks again everyone for the support and well wishes - if everyone disagreed with me it wouldn't change my mind, but knowing that others understand where I'm coming from has really been good for my heart. I had some beginners out today, and I've had so much on my mind lately that I think I overwhelmed them with information. That said, the more I get accustomed to the idea of not breeding, the more excited I am to get more active showing, driving and even helping with 4H again like Mary suggested. I'm always such a headcase during foaling season anyway that even though I'll miss watching the babies play I know I'll probably be a saner person without those long nights of marestaring.

First off, I'd like to see another pic of her as I really cant tell from that one pic that she is a dwarf.
tink.jpg

Here's a profile picture of Tinker. Bulging forehead, severe underbite, enlarged joints, short neck and a body that is visibly denser when you compare her to the other foals. She was very strong and straight in her front legs from the start, though she's still a little lax in her back legs, and she learned very quickly how to use her underbite to her advantage when nursing. My vet is coming out next week, and we're going to discuss a long-term plan of action for her then. I've been holding my breath waiting to see if any larger issues develop, but as of now she's very healthy.

Thanks for your honesty, I understand the decision to no longer breed. Very hard, no matter what the reason behind it, but there comes a time when regardless of the money, time and effort put forth, we just ask ourselves"is it really worth it?"

I have heard and seen it all, including foals that screamed dwarf, yet, people seem to try to rationalize and convince themselves otherwise.

I think a lot of you Tiff, always have. Hugs and thank you!

Tiffany, I just want to say, well done to you!! I totally agree and applaud you in your extremley tough decision!! to be able to make that decision though shows to me that YOU are one of the best mini breeders! you are looking for excellence in the breed and in both health and confirmation and temperament I think we could all take a page out of your book with breeding and mini's in general.

It sure has taught me something, and I hope one day SOON they come up with a test so we can keep our lovely little mini community as healthy and excellent as we want it to be, whether in America, Australia or all over the world.

you have certainly encouraged me so thank you for taking the time to post about this! your foals are adorable by the way, poor little Tink is a sweety.

Thanks again, and I hope that you enjoy your time of showing your mini's they are gorgeous
default_smile.png

Here's a profile picture of Tinker. Bulging forehead, severe underbite, enlarged joints, short neck and a body that is visibly denser when you compare her to the other foals. She was very strong and straight in her front legs from the start, though she's still a little lax in her back legs, and she learned very quickly how to use her underbite to her advantage when nursing. My vet is coming out next week, and we're going to discuss a long-term plan of action for her then. I've been holding my breath waiting to see if any larger issues develop, but as of now she's very healthy.

Thanks! She doesnt look too bad for sure, bet she will live a good life for ya. I can see the under bite in the pic. Overall not too bad looking though.

Marsha

If folks here had a dwarf in their horses pedigree, would you breed? and if so, how far back in the pedigree would you feel confortable going ahead and breeding?

I only ask cause I was once told that a mare of mine has a grandsire that shows dwarf charteristics but Im not really 100% sure if the info is true. I do however have bred this mare and have gotten 3 foals from her which non show dwarf looks... And actually the foals look really nice as I breed her to my prize stallion that really complaments her nicely. So as a breeder, I do look long and hard at who I am breeding her to and happy with the resaults.

BUT...

I also did just come across a stallion 2 months ago that I trim his feet that is indeed a dwarf. The owner had a photo copy of his pedigree and OH MY his sire is the same g-sire of my mare. So now it has raised red flags as to some truth behind that rumor now...

Back