A Grand Ol' Man has passed - Godspeed Wiz

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

Due to his age I knew this was inevitable, but I still wasn't prepared. I came home this evening to find that Wiz had passed sometime during the day.
default_no.gif

I found him in the barn with several of "his" mares around him, sniffing him. I knew he was gone the moment I saw him and how the mares were acting. There were no obvious signs as to what took him; no wounds, no signs of any stress or struggling. The vet came even though I knew Wiz was gone and even though the vet was already home for the day and had started his dinner. There was nothing that could be done for him.

For those that may be new to the forum or may have forgotten his story, Wiz was one of the "Kansas" minis found starving in October of 2007. Old threads can be found by searching "Trembley" "Kasnas minis" etc. He was rescued by fellow forum member, Donna (AppyLover2) and was taken to her home to live. Unfortunately, Donna was misinformed as to his age and status. The coggins she was given listed him as a gelding and 17 years of age. Donna tried very hard to work with him, provide him quality feed and hay, and to teach him people weren't all bad. But as Wiz got more feed into him, he gained strength and she soon learned he wasn't very easy to handle. She tried and tried, but he was just too much; he didn't play nice with her other geldings and he had obviously never been halter trained or handled. He was so used to pushing himself around to get what little food and water was available at his Kansas home that that bad behavior was all he knew.

After a bit, Donna realized, understandably so, that maybe Wiz was more than her place was setup to handle. My ex drove to Donna's place and picked Wiz up so we could see if we could work with him. The goal, before meeting Wiz, was to have him maybe trained to drive eventually so that he could find a good home as someone's pet and could have a job. Well, Wiz WAS in fact a real handful! Pushy, no sense of his personal space or ours, no manners, no concept of now it's time to work and listen, etc. But the biggest surprise was Wiz was a STALLION! So, now we had that to deal with first! He was gelded in Dec of 2007. That helped a lot. My vet also estimated he was "close to 30."

As the months went by Wiz slowly gained weight and learned how to lead, take wormer and not walk all over his people. He never really lost all of his stallion tendencies, but he certainly became easier to deal with and wasn't as dangerous as he was when Donna had him. As the years passed, he looked better and better and although he was never the kind of horse you'd let a child handle, he was still a pleasure to have around. Honestly, one of the prettiest horses I've ever laid eyes on. Just a natural beauty and most definately ahead of his time. When I think of how much work and thought most of us put into breeding; trying so hard to pick the right cross and then hope for the best end result and then I looked at Wiz who was so naturally beautiful, gorgeous head with a wide eye and tiny muzzle, strong jaw, tight and tippy ears, level topline and straight legs! And he was probably born of some mare and stallion that were pastured together, along with other mares and stallions, with no thought given to this foal. He probably never benefitted from regular hoof care or good nutrition. But he was a stunner even in old age.
default_wub.png
I can't count how many times I looked at him and said "I wish I could replicate that gorgeous head." I called him Pretty Wiz. Not very manly, but accurate.

Wiz seemed to still be enjoying life as of this morning. He called to me just like he did at every feeding and came running when I yelled "come on" to the herd for breakfast. He always talked to me like I was one of his mares.
default_biggrin.png
He loved carrots, apples, frosted wheat cereal and nicker makers. Although he had his moments...like when it was time to do his feet...mostly he was a real pleasure and never caused trouble. Ever since Merlin, and then Spirit left the farm, Wiz has been the main "stallion" (at least in his own mind) and he had really relaxed and put on more weight and just seemed to be happy with his lot.

Godspeed pretty Wiz; I will always remember you "talking" to me at meal time, encouraging me to hurry up and get your grub ready, and how truly beautiful you were when your mane flowed as you ran across the pasture to meet me.

Wiz when he arrived at our farm:

wiz1web.JPG

Wiz in Dec 2008:

wizdec20081.jpg

A picture of Wiz from early winter 2010:

wiztrot1.jpg

The last photo is one of my favorites. He was happy being the "stallion" of his harem and it shows that beautiful head and eye. Kind of like the perfect child's toy horse would look.
default_wub.png

Good bye my one-of-a-kind friend.
default_bye-sad.gif

Thank you for taking the time to read about him. I've had a lot of horses during my life, but he was special in a way I can't quite put my finger on. In my vet's opinion Wiz was about 32 years old.

Sorry to hear he passed, you gave him the life he deserved, even if it was just for a few years. Farewell Wiz
default_bye-sad.gif

What a lovely tribute to Wiz....how lucky he was to find kindness !

Another bright star shining tonight!

Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry you lost that grand ol gent Parmela.

I truely believe you gave him back not only his health, but happiness and a sense of pride. I'm so glad he had you in his last years. It sounds like he had a nice, happy final day! I think he chose to go while he felt well before winter came.

Farewell Wiz!
default_crybaby.gif

What a beautiful story Parmela and bless you for taking him in and making his final years ones full of love and the care he deserved. God speed pretty wiz!

Parmela

Thank you for taking Wiz into your home and heart. He came out of a horrible situation and he found kindness and love with you.

So sorry for your loss, but Wiz was surely blessed that he found his way to your home. He was one lucky horse to be so well cared for and loved. He was beautiful and as you said his head was gorgeous!

Thank you all very much. It's going to be a long 24 hours as I have more to report but will wait until tomorrow night probably.

And I hope everyone remembers that Donna also loved Wiz very much and only wanted him to be cared for. She took him from the farm in KS only because she couldn't stand to see all thoses horses starving like they were. She took as many as she could and she tried so hard to work with Wiz. But it was a no-win situation as he was just too much for her. When my ex arrived home with Wiz the first thing he said to me was "this horse would have eventually killed that woman." And when he got Wiz off the trailer I got my first sense of why he said that. Wiz was having NONE of this lead rope and halter bs! He simply had NO concept of people and halters. He was rearing and striking and whinnying to anything that would listen. We eventually put a towel over his head so we could lead him to a stall. And that was the beginning of what was month after month of patience, patience and more patience...both for Wiz and for us.
default_wink.png
But Donna is the one who rescued him.
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Although his sight was almost gone and his hearing was going too, he was enjoying his golden years. He's slowed down a lot in the last couple of years but he was healthy and happy.

A funny story...I brought a gelding home in July to board here. Wiz knew this gelding from a couple years back so I didn't really worry about putting them together. Well, I put the gelding in with Wiz and his mares and it took Wiz a bit to realize there was a new horse. Once he figured it out, mostly by smell I think, he started to chase Lightning here and there. It started out with Wiz chasing him all the way from one end of the pasture to another. And then as the minutes passed, Wiz chased him for shorter distances with each pass. Finally Wiz stopped to eat and as Lightning would come closer Wiz would give him patronizing charge as if to say "you better get the...whatever young whippersnapper, just let me eat." It was so commical to watch. He had "his girls" to protect.

Last edited:
Aww I remember him. He was a lovely horse. What a bittersweet post. Im glad you gave him a good home.

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like he had a wonderful "retirement" with you and ended his life in a good, peaceful place.
default_smile.png

Jan

Ditto what others have said...He was rescued and loved by both you and Donna and given a chance to live out his final years knowing he was loved.

RIP Wiz
default_bye-sad.gif

{{{{HUGS}}}}

You made such a difference in this horse's life, and it sounds like he in yours. Bless you both.
default_bye-sad.gif

Leia

What a nice tribute to Wiz...

Bless Donna for getting him away from a not so nice situation, and bless you for filling his last years with happiness.
default_wub.png

My condolences to you both.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a beautiful story, Parm and I thank you for sharing it with all of us. RIP Pretty Wiz.
default_no.gif
So very sorry for your loss.

I'm sorry you lost that grand ol gent Parmela.

I truely believe you gave him back not only his health, but happiness and a sense of pride. I'm so glad he had you in his last years. It sounds like he had a nice, happy final day! I think he chose to go while he felt well before winter came.

Farewell Wiz!
default_crybaby.gif
I think Reo said it perfectly ...

so sorry
sad.gif

Wiz was a very lucky man to have been loved and cared for by you Parmela and Donna. Thank you for sharing such an emotional story, I am sure it must have been very hard to write.

God bless you both and RIP "Pretty" Wiz

Latest posts

Back