PlayTime Minis - Finished for 2013; See you in 2014

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I've forgotten who is where with getting "ready"... This isn't Wish's first foal is it? Do you now how far out she fills her udder. She's a very pretty mare!

The first time I "worked" Iggy (for me), a neighbor had offered to let us have a whole lot of chain link fencing and the posts that it had been attached to (still encased in large amounts of cement). I didn't have a working vehicle at the time that we could put that in - and decided to use Iggy (& our other stallion, AJ) as singles. I attached the single tree to a chain link gate and put two rolls of chain link on the gate for each "pull". With Iggy, I was by myself and I hadn't had him pull anything at all yet. He was soooo confused when asked him to move and the weight pulled on his chest, years before I had our first work style harness. At first, I spent more time pretty much at his head, before I dropped back and ground drove him. The fencing was stacked at the back of the neighbors property, but on the outside of our furthest back pasture. I think each pony pulled two loads - would have been about a 1/2 mile of ground driving each trip pulling it with lots of friction one weekend. The posts are still back there right now - I've never really wanted to deal with the cement. I had pics of both of the boys on a (at the time) new digital camera. My daughter went to load the photos on the computer and hit "delete" instead of "cut"... They were gone! I was sad... Think we had 3 pics of one of them and 2 of the other. We never did figure out why they didn't show up in our "trash" files... That was before I knew had to put pics on the computer at all from a digital camera.

In some cases, I've found that using the ponies to do the work is more work than actually making the trees/brush into smaller pieces and using some type of vehicle to move them. But then, I usually have paid help to clear/knock down the brush/trees and rather than paying for all of the "clean up", the ponies are "free" and it's good training. A couple of times, such as example above, we truly didn't have a vehicle available to move stuff that needed to be taken care of. And others, well gas has certainly gone up in cost - both for the vehicles and the chain saws and weed eaters! Those three trees that were taken out by a tree crew - if I'd had them remove them - they would have been cut up somewhat on one truck, some chipped/mulched by another while all the chip/mulch loaded onto a 3rd within an hour of being dropped. Putting those vehicles somewhere when our property was still so wet, would have been difficult. They talked about leaving them out on the road, but would have also created some problems as it's a main through way between 2 highways AND the shoulders were too soft to pull off the road much, ditches still running with water. Then I found out how much I'd save, not having those trucks "come in" w/ the extra crew(s) AND we'd have plenty of wood for several bonfires... The ponies are working - a good thing. Just taking a while! Then I had someone ask about getting some of it for firewood - paying for it. Said "yes" - but haven't seen those guys yet. Wouldn't mind if thy came soon - getting paid back some of what I spent on the tree crew to begin with would be awesome! The larger pieces are now going to need to be cut up - even with multiples of ponies pulling it - simply because it won't get out of where it's at w/o reducing the size (s) and my rope and chain used to pull it simply isn't long enough to safely wrap around/pull those larger round bits. They are short enough, just way too large around (one is over 4' around).

You are welcome Dianne... Do you stand him at public stud? Hmmm... I'll PM you... But I want little Ami truly driving before I breed her, so might still be a little while (2015 instead of 2014) yet.

I've learned much this year following the different foaling threads... I won't be able to put any of it into practice on my own next year, as I bred no mares. I would like to breed several next year and the following year but will depend on several factors... With 4 foals again this year, I now have a very large herd of equine!

Not only have I learned a lot, but I've enjoyed it and getting to see every one's mares. Mountain woman, you have some very nice horses and I wish I'd been able to get to the show (s) in Williamston that you had some of them at.

Thank you Paula. I've worked very hard to find the best horses I could afford but more important to me are that they all are the sweetest horses around except for cranky Raven and she and I have an understanding now which is why I've decided not to keep on trying to sell her.
default_yes.gif

Wish is 19, she's the mother of many, many well known horses and I'm really honored to have her. This is her last foal and her first for me and I'm keeping the foal and Wish is retiring from breeding and will enjoy life as a senior mare and supervisor of the mares. I think she's due fairly soon. I also have Silver left to go who is a maiden at age 15 and I think she's going to be quite a while longer. Then next up is RFM's IMA Sweet Creation who is due in February. Gee, do I start a new thread or just add to this one?

I love seeing horses out working. Just gives them a purpose in life. I haven't gotten there yet with my horses and they are mostly just my good friends although those who have an aptitude and show an interest are all trick trained. But there's something wonderful about seeing animals actually helping us with our chores and day to day life.

I really admire what you've done with your horses Paula!

Love the stories about all these wonderful horses! I so enjoy them.

Just add to this thread, and we'll never lose you!! I know I enjoy going back into the threads and seeing how each one has changed, etc. So, I'd love to see you just add more here and keep us going!!

Just wondering how Wish is doing? Oh and I agree with Diane, just keep to the one thread - it's much easier.
default_yes.gif

She's doing great but really no change at all since I posted the photos last week. No change with Silver either so I'm in waiting forever mode.

I don't know if this will help or not, but my Wish, her daughter liked to foal at 10:30, seriously, either at night or during the day. I don't know if these patterns are herditory or not, just saying.

Wow, RiverRose, that would be wonderful. I'm usually at the barn then both a.m. and p.m.
default_yes.gif

Just stopped by to say nothing is going on with Wish or Silver. I'm taking a long break from the boards but I'll be back to post when they foal (if they ever do).

Stop by periodically please to keep us up-to-date! We will miss you....so don't stay gone long!

Well, here's pictures of the most pregnant horse in the world - Ms. Wish. I would think she'll be foaling soon but maybe since it's her last foal, she's decided to be pregnant forever.

2013september24thhorses 001.JPG

2013september24thhorses 002.JPG

2013september24thhorses 006.JPG

2013september24thhorses 011.JPG

No under the tail shot. I didn't realize it was blurred until I took these pictures off the camera. The good news is that it's so cold here now, I'll be able to use all my foal jammies if this baby is ever born.

Oh she looks fabulous!! But from you pics, I would say that she still needs to develop that udder properly - unless she is know for foaling with a small udder and gaining full milk production at/after foaling?

How are those beautiful new 'babies' of yours doing - would love to hear news of them.
default_yes.gif

Such a pretty little momma -- guess she's just holding out to make the last one a sensation~~~!!

Anna, I don't know about Wish's foaling history as this is her first year with me. She came to live with me in January so I figure the baby should come by then. Silver as well I think will be November time frame and then I have Madeline (RFM's IM A Sweet Creation) due in January.

As to the foals - Kate isn't weaned yet but she will be when she's 5 months and then both she and Suzette are leaving for Danielle Hill Training Center and will be shown in 2014. Kate is so incredibly gorgeous and I think she'll have a great show career and she such an outgoing personality so should help her along. Suzette is teeny tiny and I doubt she'll reach 30" and she turned into a bay roan. Love them both.

Diane, I agree!

Here's a photo of Kate with Sweetie from the other day so you can see how her color changed.

2013september23rdhorses 011.JPG

I just love all the color changes! Just when you think you have it figured out, they do an about-face, and you start all over!

LOL!! Diane - very true, still it's fun watching for a different horse to appear as the seasons change.
default_yes.gif

Or it could be like that "owner" of "she who shall remain nameless" who actually GIVES us a different horse every season! But of course, I'm not going to mention any names.......
default_whistling.gif

Well, I've seen everything today and I'm sorry I didn't have my camera with me. The hugely pregnant Wish mounted the very pregnant Silver (they are BFFs) and then Wish went at it and then finished and slid off Silver who stood patiently throughout the procedure. Now, I've seen mares do this to each other before but never one about to give birth. Has anyone ever had their very pregnant mares do this? Does this mean she's having a colt or she's about to give birth? I've learned quite a bit about horse behavior this year but obviously I have more to learn.
default_gaah.gif

Her hormones may be making some whooop-t-loops as she near delivery. Never heard it mean a colt. I had a friend whose mare did this every year as she neared delivery -- but I can't remember how long it took from her "breeding" her mare friends!~ LOL

Thanks Diane. That was some huge pregnant belly Wish hoisted up there. I couldn't believe she could jump being so pregnant. I'm glad she's not the only mare who does that.

Latest posts

Back