PlayTime Minis - 2014 Foaling Thread

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our first foal in 2005 was like that just taking off on his own

and since we do use newborn halters on new babies

as we have them in a diferent turnout for usually a week which is past the main pasture

once in the main pasture it leads right into the barn

We have had some fiesy one for sure.

Since she is just 2 days old, I would suggest that you turn her out with just momma for a few days. I usually keep them just with their mommas for about 3-5 days (depending on how they listen to momma) and this may help bond her closer to her momma, and learn to listen. A small space would be perfect for them, as she would have to remain close to momma and learn to follow directions.

She should come around, and behave better, but then she's a "mare" after all, and we all know about how mares can do their own things!

But, I would suggest "making" her bond with momma by separating them, until you see signs that she is following momma's lead better.

Good luck and keep us posted on this little "Spitfire" !!

I agree with Diane, separate them for a while - it will stop Clorox getting too stressed as well. Must admit that I never headcollar or try to lead babies until they are weaned, and have often stood around for quite sometime waiting for baby to re-join us when leading the mares around - this year's COLT has been one of those who had to inspect every flower, bush and farm machinery on his way to the field!

They often 'improve' with age so hang in there!!

Thank you ladies so much for your help!! I put Clorox and baby Firecracker out in a paddock attached to my barn and they are by themselves. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for your advice!!!

My APHA filly was that independent; I was boarding at the time, so mare and foal were in their own paddock, but it was L shaped with the barn in the crook of the L, so you couldn't see from one end to the other. The filly liked to run to the far end around the corner, her momma would scream for her, she wouldn't come, so momma would have to go round her up and bring her to where ever she wanted her to be.

I feel your pain Chanda. What was she like when she matured? Did you have a hard time training her?

Today was easier because all I had to do was herd the little Firecracker back into the barn but she was no more interested in following Mom than yesterday and I think Clorox has a headache
default_yes.gif
from chasing the Wild One
default_xreiter.gif
but I'm going to continue with this turnout method for this week and I'll update you.

I do love this Feisty Filly but it's going to be a learning experience for sure.
default_xbud.gif

She does love to eat though so at least she visits Mom to nurse frequently.
default_517.gif

Don't mind me - I was having fun with emoticons.

And here's a photo of baby Surprise who is always underneath her Mom and never strays. She's still just knee high and going to be teeny, tiny. Oh and some other cute photos of the not so wild babes to update you.

2014aughtst24thmaresfoals 003.JPG 2014june18thsurprise 031.JPG

2014may21stspideranddazzle 007.JPG 2014may21stspideranddazzle 010.JPG

Thanks one and all. I'd be lost without your advice and encouragement.

Well, life got on the way, and I really didn't get that far with her training; but what I did do she was great at, took to it all pretty easily, only a problem the first couple times we tried to do her hooves (my boyfriend at the time was a big guy, and he dumped her on her side once and she quit being a turd about having her legs handled).

That's good to know Chanda that she was so smart.

Just an update - I took your advice and turned her out with her dam and it did the trick. She is no longer all over the place and follows nicely. They are getting ready to rejoin the others today.

Thanks for your help!!!!

Latest posts

Back