PlayTime Minis - Finished for 2013; See you in 2014

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alana, thank you!! Diane, thanks for the advice. I'd really love to breed her one time to Zorro, my boy who was just at Worlds, and I appreciate your advice so much! Anna, thank you! Wow, Chanda, my filly looks almost like your Bonny. What a beautiful girl. Lori, thanks for all the help with colors!!

We are going through a spell of gorgeous weather so I was able to turn Wish and unnamed baby out this morning. She's steadier on her feet and scooting all around and she nickers too. So here's a few pictures.

2013october10thfoal 005.JPG

2013october10thfoal 009.JPG

2013october10thfoal 010.JPG

2013october10thfoal 006.JPG
I'm going to get her color tested but I have no idea what tests to do. Help appreciated!

For the basics to know whether she is cremello, perlino or smokey cream or palomino; just red factor (red/black), agouti and cream.

Someone loves her mommy!!!!!

/monthly_10_2013/post-44134-0-29588000-1381412174_thumb.jpg

She is just so pretty. And the color testing....I can't wait! You're right on, Chanda!

Oh, and here's my cremello filly out of my palomino mare by my silver buckskin stallion. She was born looking pale palomino, but turned white quickly.

Here's Dolly:

day she was born

Dolly - June 9, 2009 - standing.jpg

two days later:

Dolly - June 11, 2009 - standing pretty.jpg

And her fat little self as a 3 year old last summer:

Dolly - aug 17, 2012 - reg pic left turn.jpg

Edited to add: neither have been color tested; don't know if I will ever test Dolly, but I might test Bonny when extra funds are available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Chanda, GORGEOUS!!! Thanks for the advice about color testing. Still learning all this. Diane,
default_yes.gif

Well, Chanda, now that you asked
default_yes.gif
Seriously, I'm driving everyone nuts with pictures but it's the new Mom thing. Here's some from today.

2013october10thfoal 021.JPG

2013october10thfoal 022.JPG

2013october10thfoal 030.JPG

And in other news, Zorro and Adriel are coming home in a couple of weeks and Kate and Suzette are leaving. It's going to be really hard saying goodbye to them. But can't wait to see the boys.

OMG! Just so darling. At this point, I'm going to lean towards palomino, as there is a fair amount of color in that coat; but I don't know how quickly double creams might change from having a hint of color in their coat to looking pure white. Dolly was quick; I don't know with Bonny as I bought her as a yearling (just got lucky that I could get a baby pic of her).

I also don't know how quickly they go from baby blues to adult eye color.

Thank you Chanda. These coat colors are mysterious in babies for sure.

I'm leaning a little to the smoky cream, but whatever color she turns out to be, she's just beautiful!! A new show horse on the horizon!

Diane, thanks! I think she's going to be a great halter horse. Was looking at her today and she's so long legged and has a gorgeous face but don't mind me because I'm what they call barn blind and I think all my horses are beautiful. Hard to be objective when love is in your eyes.
default_biggrin.png
But seriously I look at everyone's photos and absolutely adore their minis. They are all lovely.

I'm in love with all minis, too. And I'm 'farm' blind, loving all the little ones here like they were my own! LOL

But, I am especially fond of the long-legged foals, with those little trim barrels, and that special 'look' about them. It's what I bred for over the years, and I was blessed with having raised a few, and having them shown successfully. But I never loved one baby more than another -- I loved ALL the babies! But something inside just tells you that this one 'has it' when they are first born. I guess that's why I said that EACH win is special and the excitement of a win never gets old.

Sometimes I look at the wonderful babies here, and just so enjoy thinking about their futures. It seems that some babies just have that 'look at me' attitude at birth -- some gentleness in their look, some 'stance' or something that makes you inhale when you first see them. It's just pure excitement for me to enjoy each and every birth, and then see each and every new life coming into their own and watching them blossom even more.

I didn't show all my babies, the cost is quite prohibitive for that, but once in a while I just 'had' to spend the money to see if my gut was correct. But each baby was special, and all became special to their new owners whether they were shown or not. And of course, for me, the SPOTS are my passion. But, I still enjoy looking at all the babies, SPOTS or not, shown or not, just those special little snorts and whinnies and snuggles, if you know what I mean !

Last edited:
Oh, Diane!! Bravo and well said!! Your post should be pinned. I think it's what we all feel on this board about everyone's foals. It's also what makes this board so special as well - the amount of love and support each and everyone of you give to all of us.

Oh I do so agree with you Diane - every single one of these sweet babies is special. It makes me so sad when we have to sell some of them on, even if we do manage to find good homes for them - once they are gone we can only hope that life will be kind to them in the future. I have been lucky in that a lot of those buying my pecious babies have kept in touch over the years, but many have not.

But just today, a lovely suprise! Two young teenagers sent me an e-mail, plus a picture of a happy chunky little fella. A foal I had sold in 2005 has been in their ownership for this past summer. Luckily he had kept his name from the past and they looked up our stud name and and made contact wanting to tell us how much they loved him and how he would now be in his forever home! I have no idea where he's been for the past 8 years, but it gladdened my heart so much to receive this e-mail and to know that from now on he will be ok.
default_yes.gif

Thought I'd better share some photos of Silver. She's my 15 year old maiden mare. I have NO idea if this baby will come this month or next as she was pasture bred. I can tell you she's become very cranky the past couple of days but I don't know if it's because the baby is due or if it's because I took her BFF Wish out of the pasture. They do share an adjoining stall at night so they can still be in limited contact. Anyway, she was bouncing around but here's a couple of photos. I'm watching her constantly and of course she's stalled at night but after Wish took me by surprise, I'm ready for this baby.

2013october13thgorgeousday 007.JPG

2013october13thgorgeousday 008.JPG

Kind of hairy so you can't see much but this was looking at her bag from through her back legs.

2013october13thgorgeousday 009.JPG

2013october13thgorgeousday 011.JPG

Wish didn't get any bag to speak of until the baby was born whereas Raven and Sweetie got full bags and waxing so I really am in the dark about Silver.

Thoughts anyone?

After sneaky Wish, I think you're doing the PERFECT thing -- and maidens are so tricky. It's good you're watching her like you are. These mares that don't bag up are quite the 'painful' thing to guess about!

I agree with Diane - the only thing you can do is to keep watching her - dont forget to check the colour inside her vulva too, even if she doesn't fill that udder much more before she foals, maybe she will be kind enough to show a change in her vulva colour????

Thanks Anna. I'll do that. Wish has been lonely for her herd so I now have Silver with her in turnout. It's helped Wish relax and the baby loves having more room to run and play. I could watch foals all day long with their curiosity about life. I'm calling the foal Angel but with a lot of help from Facebook friends her new official name is PlayTime Bewitched by Autumn Mist. I chose that name because I love Halloween, the season is autumn and she was born in the morning with a mist all over the mountains.

Latest posts

Back