PlayTime Minis - Finished for 2013; See you in 2014

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sending good wishes and prayers for a safe, smooth delivery and a healthy baby!
default_yes.gif

Here's some photos from this morning.

2013june29thhorses 008.JPG

2013june29thhorses 009.JPG

2013june29thhorses 013.JPG

Nothing much going on underneath and she was squirming for photos. I still think she's close.

Thank you! She's 19 so it's her very last foal and I'm honored to have her with me in her retirement years. She's a special girl.

I think she is at what I call 'the awkward stage' - not quite ready to foal, but could be sneaky and have it any minute!! Love the mares LOL!!

All you need to do now is to watch her very closely .................................... and patiently!!

Thanks!! Maybe a 4th of July baby? I'll do pictures of Silver today. She's a maiden so I'm just not sure.

Photos of Wish today.

2013july4thwish 001.JPG

2013july4thwish 002.JPG

2013july4thwish 003.JPG

2013july4thwish 004.JPG

Next is Silver as of today (maiden mare)

2013july4thwish 006.JPG

2013july4thwish 007.JPG

2013july4thwish 008.JPG

2013july4thwish 010.JPG

I'm thinking Wish could be any time but not so sure about Silver.

I think Wish has a little while to go yet judging on her 'lack' of an udder, in fact Silver looks as though she is ahead in the udder development department - she seems to be filling one side?

/monthly_07_2013/post-44134-0-55821500-1372945846_thumb.jpg Wish

/monthly_07_2013/post-44134-0-19190500-1372945972_thumb.jpg Silver

I'm not sure, but I was thinking Wish was a bit ahead -- nipples separated....but I think they both have a little shopping to do!! Pictures are beautiful, though! They look great!

OK, I can play this game too (I think). Is it normal for Silver to have an off-balance udder? We had a mare like that. Anyway, based on the nipples, I would put Wish ahead of Silver but I don't think either one is especially close to foaling. I would keep an eye on them and keep updating the Aunties with photos though!!! Can you get any milk? That would be a big help if you could just check color and consistency. What were their breeding dates? Or when were they removed from the stallion? I can't imagine waiting for foals over this long a time (since Raven) and when you don't know when they were bred. It is hard enough when you have exact breeding dates that were 3 days apart and the mares foaled 2 days apart!!! Wishing you two safe foalings!

Thanks everyone. I purchased these mares in foal and I had the ultrasound dates for Raven and Sweetie but not for these two but thought they were due in July. Wish looks so much bigger than Silver who doesn't look very pregnant to me so I was thinking she might not be until fall. I'll have to find the stallion reports. Silver is a maiden mare at 15 years old so not sure how her bag would look. I really appreciate the help and advice. On another note, I have both Katie and Suzette (my fillies) pastured together and they totally ignore each other. Suzette is bonded to a 1 year old filly and a 4 year old mare and Katie is mostly playing games by herself. They are both growing so quickly.

Stallion reports would be helpful. Plus, if you have any doubts about pregnancy, a Wee Foal 120 urine test is never a bad idea. I routinely check our mares in the winter/spring with that, even if they have been ultrasounded in foal early. Waited for a false pregnancy our first year that never produced a foal and learned a lesson!

Now our foals are out just with their moms (rest are on dry lot) and the two foals spend ALL their time together while Luna's dam is often way out in the pasture somewhere. When Luna wants to eat she screams for her mom! Sometimes it works, but most of the time she runs out for a quick drink and comes back in again to be with Jake and Dancer. I think both mares are looking forward to weaning!

Just went back to look at the pics again on the previous page, and Diane's repeats of the udders here. Would say that Silver is very pregnant for a maiden mare, and Wish looks close to foaling for a mare who has had foals before, not easy to say who will foal first in my opinion due to the maiden against brood mare tummies! Regarding their udders, a lot of my brood mares have 'separated' teats all the time, so I was not looking at Wish's separated teats, rather that she appears to have an 'empty' udder as against Silver who seems to be filling one side of her udder - looking at the 'smoothness' of that one side.

Hope this makes sense LOL!! Just my opinion. How do their udders feel to you, can you feel any filling?

Mary, Luna sounds adorable
default_yes.gif
Katie is headed to Danielle's when she is weaned but I'm thinking about letting Suzette naturally wean since she really isn't nursing much any more anyway. I've never tried a Wee Foal test but it's a definite possiblilty.

Anna, thank you for your help. For some reason, because I'm a newbie I think, Silver has been looking less pregnant to me than she did a couple of months ago but because of your info, I'll keep a much closer eye on her. Their udders don't feel full to me. Right before Sweetie foaled, her udder was incredibly full and Raven's waxed and neither Wish nor Sweetie feels that way.

Well, remember with maidens, those udders can appear as they foal. So, keep checking for other signs -- especially the inside of the vulva and keep us posted!

About maidens - I do remember reading on Facebook this year that a VERY experienced breeder was totally surprised by a maiden foaling. Of course it was before OUR maiden mare Dancer foaled, and one reason I watched her so closely for so many weeks. Dancer was just the opposite, as her udder looked full for weeks while we all waited for Toffee's udder to fill. Oh, and Dancer never looked especially pregnant, except for the udder.

Back