Kate ~ Testing READY!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in gladewater. Looks like maybe about 3 hours from you. : ) I reconize your stud from KCS ponies up north from me! Is that where you got him? I have always wanted to get a welsh pony : )

Yes that is where i got him.. i am going to send you q private message

OMG, Can I KEEP her????? LOVE this Filly, she has stolen my
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
heart!

She thinks I am as great as I think she is, she whinnies to me if i walk away.....

22615 007.jpg

22615 038.jpg

22615 053.jpg

22615 060.jpg

22615 069.jpg

22615 070.jpg

The answer, of course, is YES you can keep her!!!! After all, if she produces as beautifully as her momma did in having her, you will be improving your herd (and get your wish to keep her). Just tell yourself she is a perfect addition to your program!

Yes, but that means selling or trading my stallion. I donot have a way to keep two stallions... so, i have some time to decide.....and see if i can find a stallion i like, more than mine....

Bonny, there is another option to consider. IF your stallion exhibits characteristics that would improve this little girl's offspring, you may consider line breeding. Father to daughter is an accepted pairing and I did it more than once to strengthen type and confirmation with a stallion who I thought was worth the breeding. They were good matches and the resulting foals were even better than the mommas who were very good themselves.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
I actually never even thought of that.... I guess that is something I will have to consider.

Very interesting, never thought about that either! She is such a darling filly! I would want to keep her too!

New pic, almost 2 weeks old!

grace udder 3415 014.jpg

Holly -

She sure is nice!!

What age do the roan babies actually start "roaning"? I've often wondered.

I now have a shetland mare that is a roan - don't know if she could be homozygous for the roan pattern or not - she's not grey. Right now, I can't get her Shetland papers "sorted" and until they are - I don't really know that I want to breed her... YET... I'd like to breed her to the last son of our 1st shetland stallion. I'd love to have some roan paints!

Holly -

She sure is nice!!

What age do the roan babies actually start "roaning"? I've often wondered.

I now have a shetland mare that is a roan - don't know if she could be homozygous for the roan pattern or not - she's not grey. Right now, I can't get her Shetland papers "sorted" and until they are - I don't really know that I want to breed her... YET... I'd like to breed her to the last son of our 1st shetland stallion. I'd love to have some roan paints!
I can usually tell that they are roan after they are good and dry, they will have several kinky looking silvery gray hairs mixed in the undercoat. the first one kate threw i ddnt really know what to look for so I didnt really notice till I shaved her. I usually find the roan is more noticeable in croup area. By the time they are several weeks old the roan hairs have really sprouted and are quite noticeable.

Thanks so much for the compliments on this girl, I think shes pretty fantastic. I love the old welshie bloodlines that my boy has, hope someday to get a mare with older lines too.

I would love to see your mare can you share pictures here?

If you don't mind, then yes....

She's a "Royal Pony Farm" bred mare and REALLY nice. Built heavier, old style - almost appears to be a small Welsh Pony. Her registered name is Lady Kay. We call her "K-La" ("Lady" - DID NOT fit when she arrived - still would not, LOL). She's 44" + and awesome substance for her size. She will drive as a pair with the mare she is already paired up with 'Clipse. Hope to get them started this summer - want them in harness. They will be my largest pair - though not matched in color - they are in type/build. 'Clipse does have better movement - but for what we are doing, that's ok...

14jul7k-la126.jpg
14jul7k-la125.jpg

14dec23clkla802.jpg

15feb19kla114.jpg
15Feb19kla101.jpg

OHHHH MYYYYY She is LOVELY!
default_wub.png
You know she is almost as big as my stallion, who is a welsh sec A, he is 46-47 inches tall 11.3 hh

Too bad for me she isnt closer! I would love a foal from her as a 1/2 welsh. And sadly you would miss her as she would never leave my barn!!!
default_whistling.gif

I agree she is roan, looks chestnut roan( honestly my personal fave roan) But looks to me like she may have something else going on too that makes her face have that roan look, perhaps sabino, with that blaze and socks...

Either way, she is a doll and I adore her love the stocky types. How old is she?

Sabino is quite possible, she comes from a long line of sabino/true roan ponies. She's a '98 model, so will be 17 this year. Same age as the first mare I started working with in 2009 to drive - so may do the same thing with her, LOL. She will pair up with the bay & white mare we call 'Clipse (clip sie) and go 3 abreast w/ 'Clipse's daughter, Cheri.

K-La has done some traveling the way I figure it. She was bred in IA, then came down to NC - via Utah! Have no idea how that happened - it's a story I'd love to know.

I didn't realize your Welsh guy was a Section A. For some reason, I was thinking he was a Section C and closer to 13 or 13.2 hh. Don't know why. Sigh. Now I wish I was closer, too. I actually have a 1/2 Shetland mare I'd LOVE to cross on him. She's about the same height or a little larger than K-La, but no where near the same substance. She's very "hot" and very refined... HAHA - a "hot-house" Flower (her name is LP Painted FluerDeLis and we call her Flower).

But where in TX are you? I made 3 trips to TX in 2012 and 1 in 2013. Didn't make one at all in 2014 and need to go visit my dad again in Temple, Tx. SW (I think, have to pull a map up) of Ft Worth/Dallas... In 2012, I took the two driving mares Bell & Bit and our new wagon. We spent several hours giving wagon rides to the residents at the Assisted living home he lives in. The mares spent the night in the trailer there (I was cleaning it out) and we went to the show in Glen Rose from there before coming home. It was a great WEEK. This year doesn't really look like I could do a trip like that - at least not until the fall? Hmmmm... I miss my road trips!

'Clipse's son is also in the Ft Worth/Dallas area - at Scarborough Farm. I'd love to have him in our barn - then I'd have 'Clipse along with two of her children - Cheri & Gambler. 'Clipse had another son that went out of the USA, can't remember now where he went (before I purchased her).

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back