Magic Marker 2015

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, computer doing some weird things... Here's the rest of what I was writing.

As to color -

I'm not sure how the "dun" in "dunskin" works. BUT buckskin is either homozygous or heterozygous black, bay gene (could be 2) and one cream gene and a tobiano pinto. That would look like EE or Ee, Aa or AA, nCR & either Tt or TT. Do you know if he is homozygous for Dun? Or single? Dd or DD.

The dam is black. She could be homozygous black or heterozygous black. EE or Ee.

Since your filly is chestnut (sorrel) or RED. The two spots - minimal tobiano (I think - unless there is appaloosa breeding,too. Then Dianne would know better than me, I don't know the genetics behind Appaloosas). So your filly is genetically - ee, Tt.

Just read up on Dun coloration and how it works - she could be a red dun - Dd. Not sure when dun characteristics show up - are they born with them? The dorsal stripe, horizontal striping on the legs, striping on shoulder blades...

Animal Genetics - Dun

Too funny on the puppies - wasn't expecting that for an answer, LOL.

Take care of yourself now, too!

She has no dorsal stripe so know she is not red dun. Rains sire is black and her dam was a sorrel. Wildfires sire was a perlino and his dam was a red dun. One of them definitey carried a red gene.

I tried to go in and change part of what I wrote earlier - couldn't.

Soooo, your filly is "red" (or "ee") . To be red, she got an "e" from each parent which makes them both heterozygous for black. Ee. Then you stated what the parents of each are and that is confirmed - Rain got a small "e" from her dam (red =ee) and since Rain is black, she got an "E" from her sire. Wildfire - Perlino sire ?? BUT a red dun dam. so he got an "e" from his dam (red dun = ee, Dd or DD). Which means that he also got an "E" from his sire - buckskin & perlino only show on a black based horse (so his sire is either EE or Ee). Since Wildfire is also a Dunskin - he is black based - Ee.

A red dun is a chestnut (red) first - so ee w/ the dun - Dd or DD. So the dorsal would be there at birth? Dratts...

When I "plugged in" the colors of your two parents - I put in unknown for the red/black factor since didn't know originally (w/o putting in what the foal was) - I did get "red" and "red dun" as possibilities. I had to scroll down to see them. WOW - you had a whole lot of colors that baby could have been!! When I changed the colors to known heterozygous black - the colors that your filly could be changed - with a much higher percentage of red and red dun.

You could breed this pair together several times and get a different colored foal each time!

Did this make more sense?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I did the color calculator also. My phone wouldn't let me see the whole list.

Wildfirrs sire is Ten Ls Spirits Afterglow. He is a perlino, homozygous black. Rains sire is ROKO Miniatures famous Nort.

default_thumbup.gif

Yes. Only concern now is she walks on her toes. Its almost like she can't bend her back legs. I think in her stifle area. Her and mom are in a small paddock. She has room tp move around. Hope that resolves the problem. Will be turning them out with the main herd this weekend, if she looks strong enough.

Robin from ROKO ( Rain is by her senior herd stallion,Nort) is concerned she has contracted tendons. Kari is almost home and is checking at the feed store if they have a selinum (sp) supplement. She said low selinium can cause contraction in foals. From a map Diane (Castle Rock) has shown on this forum before, I live in a area that has low selinum.

They actually sell selinum supplements here in AZ. Kari bought a container and we started giving it to Rain last night.

She has already improved greatly. She is not walking on tippy toes. We turned mom and baby out in main area, so more exercise. Especially with the two hoodlum colts so interested in her. We have bad luck with vets around here. The only way to get her to a vet is take her in. With no horse trailer we would have to separate her from Rain. The nearest vet is at least 45 minutes from here and that's if he is even in his office. We will keep giving mom the supplement and leave them in the main area.

Perhaps the Revujinaide (sp?) supplement from Progressive Nutrition would work for your foal. If I remember correctly it's a mineral supplement to boost what might be lacking in the diet, and is supposed to support proper leg growth. I'll see about a link for you.

http://www.prognutrition.com/pn/products/foal-supplements/rejuvenaide-plus-liquid/index.jspthe liquid

And, the paste: http://www.prognutrition.com/pn/products/foal-supplements/rejuvenaide-paste-foal-supplement/index.jsp

I think you can order these products off their website and they might be available at other on-line vendors. At one time, Progressive offered a free sample of the liquid (like 5oz), so perhaps worth an e-mail to inquire (5oz would go a long way for a mini foal). [it's 5cc per 100# of the liquid, so a mini would only get like 1/2-1cc probably, but I'd check with Progressive, if you are going to give it a try).

Okay, sorry for not updating on new filly. Phone acting up. Fillies legs are all straightened up and she is walking like a normal foal. She is a little pistol. Her registered name is MMM Wildfire Lady in Red. Her barn name is Reba. I'll get pictures of the babies and puppies next week when my phone is working right. Puppies have their eyes open and can hear. They are walking all over and trying to eat. Still no teeth, so have to wait on that.

Phone is finally happy. Here's updated pictures of all babies: horses and dogs. Have new Netherland Dwarf rabbit babies, but no pictures yet.

Zazzy (DOB March 4) a little hotrod and loves the girls. Definitely going to show him.

Gumby Bear (DOB March 18) never going to have good conformation, so will be gelded. His barn name was supposed to be Echo, but Gumby won out. Added Bear later. He is a pistol. Always getting into your business. Loves to harrass Reba.

Cisco (DOB March 30)He is getting a lighter coat. He is still all legs. Loves to run around with his half sister when its cool. Is a handful. Will let you pet him, but not liking being caught. Got a halter on for first time last weekend. A little rodeo.

Reba (DOB April 27) Legs all straightened up. She loves to run around a full throttle in the evening, giving her mom a workout. Does have a diva attitude. She also will be hitting the show ring next year.

Puppies (DOB April 19) They can see, hear, and walk. They love to play with each other. Started on puppy food moistened with goats milk. Love it! They are always barking and growling at strange noises. Its so cute. Pictures on next post, missed a step on phone.

Latest posts

Back