Kate ~ Testing READY!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kim you are soooo funny!!

We had a Hackney pony mare that routinely started her "foal heat" a whopping 4 days after giving birth. I'd have to double check dates - but she is one that I never bred on her foal heat... Usually because she was bruised and tender and had some discharge at the time (other mares I just as routinely bred towards the end of their foal heats - which would have been between 11 & 15 days after foaling). The Hackney mare was a maiden until she was 15 yrs old. Then she produced a Hackney colt that she arrived to our farm with. For us she produced 5 hackney/shetland fillies and 1 arab/hackney filly. We sold her in 07 at 24 yrs of age as a riding pony - which she continued at for years with the dressage barn kids.

Mature, "knowledgable" stallions are wonderful at "sussing out" which mares are not only in season but are ready to be bred. I SOOOO miss our AJ.

my big APHA mare is a hussy when in season, tries to convince the hay feeder to give her attention. I wish I had a sneaky mare, but only because my riding horses are not for breeding!

Ok I am sharing a picture of Heidi's full brother from 2 years ago.... This is when he was just over a year old, He is over 2 yrs now and stands 12.2-3 hh. his Name is Volt, and he is owned by a VERY dear friend of mine
default_smile.png
I couldnt ber happier with how she has raised him and he is going to be started gently this summer. I know he is going to do amazing things!

Volt 1 yr old.jpg

He is pretty and so calm. I tried giving ours a bath last year and they acted like idiots. I thought about putting the water hose in the kitchen window and try taking them up on the deck so they wouldn't get muddy and have warm water. Volt looks quite happy and no worries!

O wow - look at the substance to that beautiful boy!! What a nice colt he is and I know what it's like to have a friend you trust take on your "babies"...

Kim - bathing needs teaching. Sounds like your guys had never been bathed or had very little bathing in their previous experiences. Warm water does help - but only once they are used to having water squirted at them. Even bathing w/ a bucket and sponge (warm water) is difficult if they aren't used to the experience and accepting of you sponging them w/ dripping water and holding a bucket (I've had a bucket kicked right out of my hands!!). And warm water or not - some just don't like being bathed no matter what but can come to a certain level of acceptance. Others will happily back up to you or stand where you can spray them anytime you have a hose turned on!! They are all different that way.

She's such a good looking baby - thanks for the new pictures.
default_yes.gif

Ok strangeness at the barn! Kate's filly Heidi has a strange spot on her hip where she has 4 small white spots that have pink skin underneath, not scabs, but nice pink skin...also heidi eyes are kind of an amber brown color, hard to see but not sure if they are because she is young still...she is like 4-6 weeks old now...

Kates first filly was a red dun, out of a solid black stallion, so I assume the dun came from Kate, though dun doesnt affect eyes color does it?

anyway I hope yall can tell from these pictures if not I will try and get better ones, I am also going to clip heidi soon and see if she has any other mystery spots....

Another strangeness, heidi is BALD on the back of all four pasterns. She had hair when she foaled but as she started shedding it all fell out, No inflamed skin, just smooth as a babys bum....And all the bald spots are the same shape and size....

The only thing that has been off is all the rain/ mud but if it were that I would think her skin would be effected. The other thing when kate was about 6 months pregnant or so, Kate got into a bucket of daily dewormer and we had to get a shot to settle her breathing. I am not sure if this strange baldness is a side effect of the dewormer or the drug to help her breathing, not sure if its even related.

On another Note, Heidi is learning to lead and is giving to gentle pressure very well!

32715 002.jpg

32715 026.jpg

32715 027.jpg

My bay mare, who believe to be rabicano has those spots. She has a ton of little white hairs mixed with her bay all over. And in mane/ tail. She also has mealy, like your girl. But her skunk tail is less skunkish.

Balding I really don't have much idea. Although my bay girl I did have trouble with her hair. She went bald on her shoulder. Hair coming off in clumps. No lice, no fungus, no bacteria, nothing. So I did aloe and I worked wonders. Everything else did nothing. Tried MTG. Nothing. So I bought flaxseed oil and it helped a little with the aloe.

And foals do have lighter eyes when there young. But she does look like she has an interesting color. You'll have to watch them and see how they change.

Pretty little Heidi! Patty is solid but on her right hip she has a small little patch of white, about the size of one of Heidi's spots. I thought it was a little speck of paper first time I saw it.

Sorry, hate to post this here but I need help....

I am selling an Appaloosa stallion for my friend and I am having trouble getting it to post on the for sale page....

I dont know if anyone can copy and post this for me? My laptop seems to be timing out before I can get it done???

Fewspot appaloosa Stallion... AMHA/AMHR 31 inches.
MysticRocks Enter Sandman ( TbarT Dynamites Firecracker (fewspot)x JBR Princess Freckles(leopard)) NO GRAY GENE!
Sandman has a wonderful conformation and easy to work with temperament! Sandman was raised by a young girl and would do well kept as a breeding stallion to produce color in your breeding program, or show him.
Sandman is also microchipped, Current coggins ,and he is 4 years old.
Located in Splendora Texas asking $1500.00 Contact Holly, 713 775 2285

41315 005.jpg

41315 021.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Jessie, I will update the pictures as he continues to be worked.... and shed his legs... I really appreciate your posting it for me, Iam lost why my laptop was not letting me post!

Latest posts

Back