Can we see pics of minis in training for driving?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread....here's my boy Taz. He's only been hooked up to the cart twice, the third time (yesterday) I climb in and took him for a few short walks. So far so good for this level headed little guy. Gonna go slow and increase expectations as I feel he is ready to fulfill them.

First time hooked to the cart-

IMG_7025.jpg

IMG_7023.jpg

IMG_7014.jpg

IMG_7032.jpg

IMG_7030.jpg

IMG_7037.jpg

Hey Tara-

Taz looks great. Does he seem like more of a WCP or a CP horse? Are you going to bring him to Spring Fling this year? How is Lola's training going?

med_gallery_256_217_229645.jpg

I will add my newest one to the group, but he's a pony. I bought him this past Feb. He is Longmans Legacy Lexington "Lex". He is 43", mostly shetland, coming 4 yr old gelding and I absolutely love him. He has the best personality and is quite the ham (I call him my big dork). He will be showing CDE's mainly. He has been started very slowly as mentally he was not there yet. However the last month, he is really coming around and growing up, so the real work is beginning. In the pic, he is driving a Glinkowski marathon carriage. He is going downhill so has shortened up a bit behind holding it back. I just got it New years eve and had to hook him up to it to see how it fit, so was able to get a few pics. However, he will not be pulling it much for a while, as it is 240 pounds and with me on it, he is pulling his full weight. He is not developed enough yet to pull it easily, so will condition him in the 2 wheel cart until he is more muscled and fit. The plan is for him to do the combined test (dressage and cones) this summer and do his first full CDE (including marathon) next spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weather hasn't been too cooperative around here for training, but some fresh snow gave me an idea. I thought a sled being pulled over the snow would be a good thing to get Dancer used to before maybe having her pull it when the snow gets deeper. This did not go quite as planned:

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/targetsmom/?action=view&current=P1040286.mp4

Rusty had his own ideas about this! I just about fell over laughing the first time he did this and by this time he was getting quite good at it. The good news is that is Dancer right behind him (probably getting some very bad ideas) but clearly not at all concerned about the sled. And I did pull it along while leading her and she was fine with that too. But not the training session I had envisioned!

TargetsMom, I had to come over and see your video you mentioned on Zakky's snow thread.

That's about the exact opposite reaction......I think he's of a mind that turn about is fair trade and maybe you should be the horse and he'll be the driver.

What does go thru their minds? LOL LOL

Hey Tara-

Taz looks great. Does he seem like more of a WCP or a CP horse? Are you going to bring him to Spring Fling this year? How is Lola's training going?
Not sure where he falls yet....but I'm thinking Country Pleasure. We'll know more once we get him moving out. Cart training never agreed with Lola. Could not get her to relax & she's have violent kicking spells (even with a bucking strap). She decided that she preferred Obstacle & Liberty. Hoping to get to the Fling. Just depends on $$$
default_yes.gif

Taz today. It was pretty cold & the ring was very wet, so we just went easy. Pretty good though for only his third time.

I have seven in training..sizes range from 34 inches to 30 inches. I do have two that will make a nice pair..and two that would be fun to do a tandem with. Right now Ace is my most advanced horse he is six this year and we did some horse driving trials last year that went well.

med_gallery_19436_157_50793.jpg

This picture is after two years of training. I did start him side reins and found that he tended to get behind the vertical and heavy in my hands..they have their place in ridden Dressage training but I have found that when driving my progress in teaching stretching to the bridle tends to be better without them...and yes in the beginning I thought there was no other way to start a horse : ) guilty of narrow mindedness. I have been blessed with seven different minis to start on my own and train and with each one I have learned so much!

med_gallery_19436_38_5322285.jpg

This is Star. He is just three this year and has had a an up and down training program! He was the most stubborn out of the seven that I have in training. I did not start him in side reins at all and am finding that he is finding the concept of contact and stretching pretty naturally. He does not have a strong hind end or big gaits so I thought any kind of force to get a frame would just shut down the hind end and the little gait that he has. This is his first drive after six months of long line work. I was happy that he was moving out freely and was not worried that he was not "on the bit" that day

I have pics of long lining and lounging and can post later today, Some with side reins and some without so maybe we can see the difference in the two ways. Ace is a great example he get so tight and behind with them even if he is moving forward...training is a process and should be ever evolving, its nice to see everyones process on this thread!

Looking good!

Just a suggestion, well, two actually. In the video your shafts are lower and it all looks a lot better, with the cart better balanced, in the stills the shafts (ie the tugs) look a little high and this makes it hard work for such a little chap. The other thing is the check- you probably know that I consider all check reins to be the work of the devil, but being serious, you need to loosen it off quite a bit, it is quite obvious form the video that it is aggravating him, not being able to get his head down and pull properly- is there really any need to have a fairly tight check and a martingale just for pootling around your yard??

Not trying to be picky here, he looks good over all, and well done to both of you.
default_yes.gif

Looking good!

Just a suggestion, well, two actually. In the video your shafts are lower and it all looks a lot better, with the cart better balanced, in the stills the shafts (ie the tugs) look a little high and this makes it hard work for such a little chap. The other thing is the check- you probably know that I consider all check reins to be the work of the devil, but being serious, you need to loosen it off quite a bit, it is quite obvious form the video that it is aggravating him, not being able to get his head down and pull properly- is there really any need to have a fairly tight check and a martingale just for pootling around your yard??

Not trying to be picky here, he looks good over all, and well done to both of you.
default_yes.gif
Thank you Jane. This is the first horse I've ever trained for cart so any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. I have a decent working harness and although it's for "A" minis, I've have a heck of a time getting the fittings small enough for Taz. I did manage to loosen the check today and he seemed happier about it. The shafts are deceiving in the still photos because they were shot as he traveled uphill. The video and stills were shot at the same time. Thanks again for the tips, that's the best part about this thread
default_aktion033.gif

I did wonder if that was the case- Oh and put your foot back in the cart- you'll get it stuck under the wheel and kill yourself, naughty person!!!

Take the check rein off altogether, would be my advice, of course, I hate seeing them on little horses. At the very least, take it off, find out where he wants to put his head, and then adjust accordingly, same with the martingale- just because they come on the harness does not mean you cannot put them in the bin!

Your horse will thank you.

jegray21 said:
I have seven in training..sizes range from 34 inches to 30 inches. I do have two that will make a nice pair..and two that would be fun to do a tandem with. Right now Ace is my most advanced horse he is six this year and we did some horse driving trials last year that went well.
med_gallery_19436_157_50793.jpg

This picture is after two years of training. I did start him side reins and found that he tended to get behind the vertical and heavy in my hands..they have their place in ridden Dressage training but I have found that when driving my progress in teaching stretching to the bridle tends to be better without them...and yes in the beginning I thought there was no other way to start a horse : ) guilty of narrow mindedness. I have been blessed with seven different minis to start on my own and train and with each one I have learned so much!

I have pics of long lining and lounging and can post later today, Some with side reins and some without so maybe we can see the difference in the two ways. Ace is a great example he get so tight and behind with them even if he is moving forward...training is a process and should be ever evolving, its nice to see everyones process on this thread!
Pix would be great! I really enjoyed watching you work with Ace through your posts and he ended up doing so well for such an early stage of training. Love him!

I don't have any new pictures of my greenie driving. I have the ones I never posted from the driving trial last fall, a few from a quick photo hitch I did at Christmas, and then some short videos of him and his buddy dragging storm debris out of their paddocks in January but he hasn't really been in the cart since September. We're just getting back to work now.

Leia

Taz today. After about 6 weeks of cart training (driving maybe three times per week). The area had been tilled up a bit so it was rather deep and uneven, but he still did well for the limited times he's been driven away from home (not to mention the little doggie distraction-not my dog).

IMG_7380.jpg

IMG_7405.jpg

IMG_7387.jpg

Ooo, pictures AND video! How cool! Love the little dog, talk about good desensitization training.
default_biggrin.png
I'm pretty sure Kody would have tried to stomp him, not sure what Turbo would have done! LOL.

Your little guy looks very good and I'm glad he could get his head down far enough to try and move properly through that deep footing. He was making an effort to track up from behind (difficult for a horse who is built downhill) and kept a fair amount of impulsion for both his experience and the footing. Keep it up!

Leia

Thank you Leia :) I had not seen how the show cart looked on him till the video and pics yesterday. I plan to shorten the shaft loops just a bit to bring the shafts up level. I'm very proud of Taz. He always tries so hard for me.

Latest posts

Back