Can we see pics of minis in training for driving?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys!

They were just brushing her eyelashes a bit so I do think they could be better (the LONG eyelashes, not the short ones near the eye itself). is it better to leave the girth looser so the saddle sits further back? How tight should the girth be ideally?
Once my horses are in a blinder bridle (I start them in an open one), then I trim the "eye whiskers". It's like a right of passage around here. (S)he is a "real" driving horse once the eye whiskers are trimmed!
default_biggrin.png
I don't think that they really appreciate those whiskers getting bumped all the time with the blinder.

I leave the driving saddles quite loose, especially on a single horse with a well-sprung ribcage. The tighter you make the girth, the more likely it is to float towards the elbow and gall the animal. I suppose I make it just tight enough that it touches the belly. On a pair, I will tighten it more because the pair reins will twist the saddles.

Myrna

Thanks Myrna! I was figuring that I should trim her lashes. That would be really annoying to have something brushing your sensitive little eye feelers all the time. I did start her in an open bridle exclusively and that picture was her first drive with blinders.She did well, but when I ordered the harness I got the cheek pieces so I can transition the bridle back and forth. I love the bridle though.....what a difference in well made, custom measured equipment!! I have you guys to thank for that advice!

I will try to loosen the girth and set it back appropriately. Hope to get some pictures hitched today.

Katie

Thanks guys!

Milo, I will try to widen the blinders. They were just brushing her eyelashes a bit so I do think they could be better (the LONG eyelashes, not the short ones near the eye itself). Leia, yes my saddle is too far forward, and with my pudgy little lady's belly, is it better to leave the girth looser so the saddle sits further back? How tight should the girth be ideally? I know it doesn't need to be tightened like a regular riding saddle, but I do tighten it enough to feel secure. Is there a rule of thumb? I will also lower the breeching just a bit and try to straighten it out. Hoping to get some pictures of her hitched and in draught after these adjustments are made. Maybe I'll start a new thread then. Thanks for the input!!

Katie
I would trim off those long lashes so they don't bother her rubbing on the blinders and then perhaps you won't need to widen your blinders. Your saddle needs to sit flat on her back. If it leans back as in this picture the edge of the saddle will cause a pressure sore on her back. The saddle being this far forward can easily pinch the tender skin behind her elbows particularly if you are going downhill when the girth slides even more forward. You will need to loosen the girth to accommodate the larger circumference but you will also need to shorten your back strap/crouper to help keep the saddle in position. Once you get driving her, she becomes more fit, and she loses some weight the saddle will hopefully sit better. Your sliding backband will allow you to keep the girth somewhat looser even than on most driving harnesses as when working on uneven terrain it will allow the tugs to ride up and down without disturbing your saddle. I would buckle it so that it just snugs up against her skin - you should be able to slide your hand between the girth and her, fairly comfortably. Minis can be really tough to fit a saddle tree to because of their build, sometimes a well padded treeless saddle with a good pad can be a better fit. Can't wait to see photos of you driving her!

Finally remembered to bring my pictures to work with me. Here are some of Streaker and Lizzie in the cart. He is such a good boy!! This weekend he also went out to see how he would be on the road with cars...passed all the tests.
default_aktion033.gif

398990308.jpg

398990310.jpg

Now for more mileage and collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lizzie & Streaker look great... miles ahead of us. Great job! Wish I had a ring like that, or any ring for that matter.

Leia--Tempo, pictured above, is 37 3/4" and Midas is 34". My surcingle is just one of the "cheap" nylon ones from Ozark Mtn. I got the pony sized one & it fits all my Minis & most of my ponies (it's a little too small for my one fat 44" mare!).

People have said that the nylon surcingles roll forward when you use sidereins--that may be, but I rarely use side reins so that hasn't been a problem for me. I find this surcingle very functional for what I need.

Minimor - for that one pony - use a regular dressage girth,or a pony wintec english girth. That should get you the extra length you need for a more appropriate fit... I've had lots of practice getting one size surcingle to fit all the ponies, LOL...

Ok, so almost everyone is showing single minis/ponies... I have some pics now of my pair learning to go in draft harness. I've noticed that most of these pics are not on contact on the mouths - hmm. Something to work on. This was their 2nd harnessing together - Bell was first hitched as a pair w/ her full sister (lite solid silver dapples) - a little over a year ago. Koalah has been hitched and driivng single since May 2011 but has only had about 10 hitchings - due to problems w/ my cart, injuries to me not pony related and HEAT (ok, I really wimped out this summer when temps were regularly over 85 w/ more than 65% humidity!).

When starting Koalah last year - she had some serious issues with the breeching - constantly tucking her haunches under herself and "scooting". It was kinda funny. I did use that to get her driving under herself more - but I'm a little green yet in that department and after I have mine going steady - need to go for more advanced lessons in dressage and getting started with good collection. Koalah has a very nice mouth - and seems to REALLY enjoy driving outside, w/ mother nature in an open bridle. Her 1st two hitches as a partner in a pair, with blinders, she was more than a little spooky. She appears to be getting used to the heavier and "noisey" work harness, and is now relaxing well. Even with the obvious size difference between this pair - they were in step in a lot of the photos in the 45 minutes they were driven together... It was pretty amazing to me.

? - Those of you that do pairs - do you use a connecting strap between your pair other than the lines, when ground driving or when they are hitched while they are still green? What about a "breeching tie"? Both items are used pretty consistently w/ draft style training/driving in this area - I wondered how common it is...

11oct21bekoa36v.jpg

11oct21bekoa38v.jpg

11oct21bekoa685.jpg

This afternoon is their 3rd hitch together but won't have pictures... Willlet you know how they do. I also need to hitch Bell & Bit together tomorrow - been a little while and they need the work together.

Leia--thanks for that tip. I hadn't thought of a Wintec pony girth or a short dressage girth--with have to check out the local shops & see if I can get one here, or if I have to order one. I did rig up a makeshift surcingle for that mare--I used a fleece girth and a latigo off a western saddle, then just made twine loops to run my lines through for longlining. It doesn't look real pretty but it serves the purpose.

paintponylvr said:
Her 1st two hitches as a partner in a pair, with blinders, she was more than a little spooky. She appears to be getting used to the heavier and "noisey" work harness, and is now relaxing well. Even with the obvious size difference between this pair - they were in step in a lot of the photos in the 45 minutes they were driven together... It was pretty amazing to me.
Isn't that cool?
default_thumbup.gif

Throwing blinkers, a new and noisier harness and pair work at her all at once probably wasn't a great idea but it sounds like your girl was good and worked through it. I decided to keep my two in the open bridles they're used to for their first spontaneous pair ground-drive as the baby wasn't ready for blinkers but I was watching for problems and prepared to unhitch immediately if they couldn't handle it. My dominant gelding got a bit annoyed with the baby "crowding" him (in his mind) but I'd done my prep work and he knew he wasn't allowed to bite, kick, or glare at the other horse when they're working. To my surprise it worked out just fine and they went like little champs so I drove them open at their first competition this fall. The colt is going to learn about blinkers this winter and then we'll try driving them as a pair that way, which should be interesting. I don't think they need the blinkers as they were perfectly happy open, but they'll certainly look a lot fancier that way!

paintponylvr said:
? - Those of you that do pairs - do you use a connecting strap between your pair other than the lines, when ground driving or when they are hitched while they are still green? What about a "breeching tie"? Both items are used pretty consistently w/ draft style training/driving in this area - I wondered how common it is...
For ground-driving I certainly do. The one time I tried to skip it (as the pair breastcollars I'd borrowed for their first drive had been given back and the ones I'd ordered hadn't arrived yet) it was a disaster. Kody started off before the baby, the baby lagged and pulled back, Kody followed the pull on his coupling rein and spun around and next thing I knew they were totally tangled with the reins up over Kody's head.
default_wacko.png
Thank God they both stayed calm! After that I tied at least their breeching together and always had the breeching connected to the saddles so it wouldn't get pulled around their rumps but would stay in place and keep them coupled. As long as they had that they were fine. Once they started actually pulling something I didn't bother as their traces kept them straight and even.

Minimor said:
Leia--thanks for that tip. I hadn't thought of a Wintec pony girth or a short dressage girth--with have to check out the local shops & see if I can get one here, or if I have to order one.
Not me! *points cheerfully to Paula*

Leia

Thanks Leia -

You know it didn't really occur to me that that might be too much,
default_unsure.png
but then again, since my "stories" quickly become long I left some parts out... Now I realize that isn't ideal either, LOL. Koalah had worn blinders previously - maybe 2-3 times? not sure exactly. I'd have used them more but for two things - her expanding belly leaves me out of the harness that goes w/ that particular bridle and the stitching came loose on one of the blinders and I haven't been able to get it re-stitched yet...

I always figure that I have good minded ponies and I can always stop and change if there is a problem. The main difference was the heft of the harness (w/ rattley chains). I spent extra time with harnessing until she stood quietly (even a pony harness gets heavy when you take it off and put it on several times!). As to the pair - both these particular mares are quiet and laid back and don't mind other ponies around them. While they hadn't been "driven" together yet - they are pastured together. I may be using Koalah later w/ another mare - that IS her "partner" in the pasture. HOwever, that mare is virtually unhandled at this time and "hot" to boot. I'll spend time working with her this winter and see if I can have her ready. The first day that I ground drove Koalah with Bell, Tory stood in the barn at the "gate" and would call every now and then to her buddy! That was funny. All I could think of was - "yea, pay attention little brat - you'll be attached here soon enough..."... But overall, you're right - I hadn't even thought I might be overwhelming her/them... Maybe they will appreciate that I'll give it some more thought?

Thanks for the info on the breeching tie. I also have noticed that there seem to be quite a few drivers that are using either a tie between bits, collars or halters under a bridle... They just match the harness (unlike my bright blue or orange ties made from haystring) and aren't noticeable, LOL.

default_new_multi.gif
Hey this guy is cute! Thanks for "pointing" back at me regarding the girth idea!

paintponylvr said:
I always figure that I have good minded ponies and I can always stop and change if there is a problem. ... But overall, you're right - I hadn't even thought I might be overwhelming her/them...
You do a fine job handling your horses and despook them to all sorts of things- not everyone does that or knows to do that so I was mostly pointing it out for the masses.
default_smile.png
By the time you know there's a problem it's often too late! Just like your girl with the tire in the earlier story...once they've blown up, it may take ages to get them calmed down again and if they get hurt in the process you might never get them driving. In a pair it's double the risk as you could ruin or injure two horses and they can feed off each other's panic until you've got a real situation on your hands even with a helper. It's so much easier just to break things down into small steps so you KNOW the horse is good with each one and prevent the problem in the first place.
default_yes.gif

It's not so bad with an experienced horse mentoring a green one as you have, but in my case for instance the experienced horse had never been used in a multiple hitch so I didn't dare cut corners. He's got a temper and if he'd over-reacted when the baby pulled something I could have had a real problem.

paintponylvr said:
The first day that I ground drove Koalah with Bell, Tory stood in the barn at the "gate" and would call every now and then to her buddy! That was funny. All I could think of was - "yea, pay attention little brat - you'll be attached here soon enough..."
Ha!
default_laugh.png

paintponylvr said:
Thanks for the info on the breeching tie. I also have noticed that there seem to be quite a few drivers that are using either a tie between bits, collars or halters under a bridle... They just match the harness (unlike my bright blue or orange ties made from haystring) and aren't noticeable, LOL.
I suspect that's more a draft driving thing- I've never seen a carriage driving trainer do that. I guarantee you they wouldn't tie the bits! The last thing you want is your green horse jerking around his partner who's over there minding his own business. The mouth is sacred....

Collars though, sure. I tied my two together at collar and breeching as soon as I had collars I could do it with.

Leia

By the time you know there's a problem it's often too late! Just like your girl with the tire in the earlier story...once they've blown up, it may take ages to get them calmed down again and if they get hurt in the process you might never get them driving. In a pair it's double the risk as you could ruin or injure two horses and they can feed off each other's panic until you've got a real situation on your hands even with a helper. It's so much easier just to break things down into small steps so you KNOW the horse is good with each one and prevent the problem in the first place.
default_yes.gif

It's not so bad with an experienced horse mentoring a green one as you have, but in my case for instance the experienced horse had never been used in a multiple hitch so I didn't dare cut corners. He's got a temper and if he'd over-reacted when the baby pulled something I could have had a real problem.

Leia
HAH!!! Tell me about it!

The Spotted Toad ended up head first in a hedge the other day....maybe I am going back to ground driving again for a bit!

He drove in the pipe cart today and exploded three times- right up to the point where I got more than a little cross- I have no desire to end up in that hedge with him- and I gave him the full range of my "BAD HORSE" voice. He walked round the field after that, but he is still huffy.

The only pair I have ever done we did mostly the way the gypsies do- I am NO admirer of moth gypsy horse breaking methods as the accent seems to be on "breaking" and anything over a year old is fair game (reminds me a lot of the Amish community in this way only)

We had the experienced horse harnessed as usual and had the inexperienced (in pairs) horse attached by a halter to the collar of the driven horse. There were LOADS of steps I have missed out here, before this happened, and I have to admit to going cold all over when my slightly crazy friend told me she had, in my absence, been actually driving out along the lanes like this!! Still, what doesn't kill you and all that, but I would NOT suggest this as a viable or even sane way of actually starting a pair.

In this case it worked and they went like good 'uns- never did put either in blinkers- one had never been in them and the other one was happier, even at 17, without them.

The best pony pair I ever met- and the owner then went on to expand to a four in hand- was a pair or full brother, entire section B Welshmen. They shared a stall - double size. When she got the next two (as youngsters) she took down another wall.

They lived together all their lives, and went out together every day. Smart little greys- looked fantastic as a team and SO together.

Leia -

Thanks, I've attached the "safety check" to their halters. Right now, I'm still more comfortable with it on (along with a breeching tie) - I'm still just green enough myself that I think it's a better idea. I just don't always catch a problem fast enuff yet to correct it before it gets out of hand (such as pulling apart) and have already discovered the "woes" of having the buckle of the "stub line" caught in the rein turret.

My original pair is already starting to stay in place w/ their butts (next to each other) so may be removing the breeching tie (can always just keep it with me or leave attached to the breeching ring on one harness).

Here's a shot going down the road with the mare on the right being her first time hitched! Great fun - I was so excited. The next day I came home from work with a temp of 103, and a sinus infection raging so I havent re-hooked that pair yet... Hope to be better next week and can hook them several times (I hate going to long in between initial hooks, tho this mare looks to be OK with that - not crazy wild - and LOVES going down the road).

11oct26bekoa223v.jpg

Well, after a slight detour, we are back to Dancer's driving training. Clearly, we are in no particular hurry to get her driving, as I think I mentioned a few pages and several weeks back! Her jumping & trail training are coming along great though, and I can enter more than one mini in those classes.

I am posting this photo from today which at first glance may look a lot like the OP, but I hope we have made SOME progress! This time she is on long lines and working off the bit, not the longe line attached to her halter. And no side reins!! Oops, I see there is no contact on the inside rein though.

P1040126.jpg

Next is this ground driving photo, which I think shows how well she is reaching down for the bit with a very loose check. Curious to know if you agree or not.

P1040129.jpg

And here she is ground driving down the driveway and looking nice and relaxed. We still have lots of work to do but I see progress!

Dancer_driveway_11_27.jpg

My girl Willow who has never seen a harness in her life stood tied for a half hour while i tryd to figure out the darn thing, on her! I was so pleased with her. the only thing im haveing trouble with is the bridle part....how complicating....but she always stands perfectly and for however long i need.

probably gonna actually start walking with it tommarow. also gonna need a new bit for it.

no pic yet will upload soon

targetsmom said:
Well, after a slight detour, we are back to Dancer's driving training. Clearly, we are in no particular hurry to get her driving, as I think I mentioned a few pages and several weeks back! ... Next is this ground driving photo, which I think shows how well she is reaching down for the bit with a very loose check. Curious to know if you agree or not.

P1040129.jpg

And here she is ground driving down the driveway and looking nice and relaxed. We still have lots of work to do but I see progress!
She looks good, Mary! I agree that she's reaching nicely in the photo above- does she get a really forward, rolling walk when she does that? It such an awesome feeling as they first experiment with stretch!

I haven't had so much as a halter on my boys in weeks, we've reached the season of winter rains where driving is just about impossible because they're so wet all the time.
default_sad.png
Can't WAIT until the back-ordered rain sheets I ordered show up in late January!! Both boys are cranky at the pause in their interesting driving work.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Leia- Thanks for the comment. Yes, she has this absolutely incredible forward walk and will keep me fit as I try to keep up. It is very relaxed and I don't want to do anything to change it. She gives me some (albeit rare) awesome feelings already!

WHEWW! just read thru this entire post! took 1 1/2hrs and my head feels stuffed full of information. Now I just have to review(after I let my eyes and brain rest). So much to learn, but I have already spotted some things that I need to correct when I harness Bo and Chocolate. I think they are going to be happy that I have somewhere to learn and quit making things difficult for them
default_wacko.png
There is no one here on the Island to learn from so I can only get lessons infrequently - usually means a special trip in on the ferry. Your pictures really explain a lot. Thanks

What a great thread!

I'm a harness rookie! My first harness horse is getting started in about 4 to 6 months which I'm really looking forward to.

For now I'm just trying to learn whatever I can so I guess I'll be spending a lot of time in this corner of LB
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back