Considering Selling my Driving Mini ~ What is a fair price?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HartleyEQ

Reaction score
(I hope I am okay to post this in Driving Miniature Horses)

Hi everyone!

I have a very nice mare I am considering selling. She has been trained to drive by me and has lots of potential. I will include some information about her below. I wanted to know what would be a fair price to sell her for, including her cart, harness, and all of her blankets, fly gear, etc?

(PS: I am not from the miniature horse community! I am from the dressage community, so I apologize if any of my mini terminology is incorrect.)

Encore Star Anise “Greta”

2017 29” American Miniature Horse mare

This little girl would make an excellent pony for for a young child or an adult just getting into driving or the miniature world. She is your bombproof, sure footed, relaxed type mare. Nothing phases her! She can ground tie, lunge, drive a cart exceptionally well, ground drive, and with more exposure she could even be a riding pony for a small child. (She has been ridden before by a very small child and did well, but hasn’t done it more than twice.) She has impressive ground manners and a clean bill of health other than a small chip in her cannon bone which has never caused any issues of any kind for her. She has very healthy strong feet, two stunning sky blue eyes, and a long gorgeous mane perfect for braiding. She is a very easy keeper as most miniatures are. Greta is being (maybe) being sold due to no fault of her own, she doesn’t get the attention she deserves at my barn and I feel she would be very well loved by a mini enthusiast or a kid. She is double registered with AMHR and AMHA and has extremely nice bloodlines.

Photos below showing her, as well as her sire and dam.

If more information is needed please don’t fret to ask! I really am unsure as to what I should ask for her and I don’t want to list her at an unfair price.

Attachments

• 93D40780-56DA-4B18-BC30-0B4446396CAC.jpeg
    93D40780-56DA-4B18-BC30-0B4446396CAC.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • A4944D5A-D885-4817-A28A-BF375C2E015E.jpeg
    A4944D5A-D885-4817-A28A-BF375C2E015E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 3815EB18-2CDE-4040-ACE3-C232A31AE11F.jpeg
    3815EB18-2CDE-4040-ACE3-C232A31AE11F.jpeg
    533 KB · Views: 0
  • 651ABF2C-0F14-4470-A498-377751986EE1.jpeg
    651ABF2C-0F14-4470-A498-377751986EE1.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • F9B3304D-785D-451D-8479-71B3285CFAC0.jpeg
    F9B3304D-785D-451D-8479-71B3285CFAC0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DEAFDCD3-1C79-4044-A70A-9F6ED6828FF1.jpeg
    DEAFDCD3-1C79-4044-A70A-9F6ED6828FF1.jpeg
    503.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 70A5C744-24EC-4077-BD41-4129A7990C3A.jpeg
    70A5C744-24EC-4077-BD41-4129A7990C3A.jpeg
    367.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 7555AC88-FC98-480A-9AC3-ADCDCABEE25A.jpeg
    7555AC88-FC98-480A-9AC3-ADCDCABEE25A.jpeg
    583.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 8453857B-72C4-4769-8FC0-A55791BF641B.jpeg
    8453857B-72C4-4769-8FC0-A55791BF641B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 9E700A28-DB92-4CDF-9F92-7129CC1AA764.jpeg
    9E700A28-DB92-4CDF-9F92-7129CC1AA764.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
What do you think she is worth? I think it depends on you and what you and the buyer think she is worth. Do you want her gone fast? Then price accordingly. If you don’t mind sitting on her a while then price high. When I decide to sell I price to move, I usually don’t want to sit on my horses long so they are priced to sell, but that is just me.

I have seen a couple of mini horses on Craigslist priced $4500-6000 and they are still on there. Some of those ads were created back in Oct-Nov 2022.

She is beautiful! Good luck to you!

What do you think she is worth? I think it depends on you and what you and the buyer think she is worth. Do you want her gone fast? Then price accordingly. If you don’t mind sitting on her a while then price high. When I decide to sell I price to move, I usually don’t want to sit on my horses long so they are priced to sell, but that is just me.

I have seen a couple of mini horses on Craigslist priced $4500-6000 and they are still on there. Some of those ads were created back in Oct-Nov 2022.

She is beautiful! Good luck to you!
Those are great questions to ask myself! I will have to think about those. Thank you for your reply! :)

In our area I doubt she would bring $5000 without a show record or clearly being show quality. I'm not saying she isn't....I don't drive so can't guess there, and the pictures don't make it clear about halter. Being child safe and small, and broke to drive I would expect to pay $2500 on the high end. The high cost of gas is probably going to limit you to local buyers, and your local market is going to be different than mine.

In our area I doubt she would bring $5000 without a show record or clearly being show quality. I'm not saying she isn't....I don't drive so can't guess there, and the pictures don't make it clear about halter. Being child safe and small, and broke to drive I would expect to pay $2500 on the high end. The high cost of gas is probably going to limit you to local buyers, and your local market is going to be different than mine.
She is including the harness, cart, and other tack which alone is probably worth 2k

Thank you for your honest reply! I bought her totally untrained (not even halter broke) for $3,500 from the breeder, so I am hoping to make profit. Horses in my area sell for very high prices. A mini that has no papers and has poor confirmation is $2,000 in my area. Things are very high priced over here! LOL

We have an abundance of amish trained minis who drive, so that definitely brings down prices here. Area definitely has a lot to do with it. I didn't notice that you said you were including the cart and harness, so that definitely will raise what you can get for her also.

She is including the harness, cart, and other tack which alone is probably worth 2k
We have an abundance of amish trained minis who drive, so that definitely brings down prices here. Area definitely has a lot to do with it. I didn't notice that you said you were including the cart and harness, so that definitely will raise what you can get for her also.
Yep, area definitely is a huge factor! :)

@HartleyEQ , where are you located? No doubt your region will have a major factor on pricing for your lovely little. Personally, I paid 10 x more for my weanling mini donkey jack than I did for our super bomb-proof mini mare who had been ridden informally by little kids and is now a therapy pony who does site visits. Right now, in my area, donkeys are more marketable than minis (even registered ones) and you can't throw a stone without hitting a mini or two sitting in someone's yard.
Your Greta is certainly lovely. Can you elaborate a little more about the cannon bone chip? Is it a free-floating chip in the joint, under a tendon, is it likely in a place where it will fuse or fester?

@HartleyEQ , where are you located? No doubt your region will have a major factor on pricing for your lovely little. Personally, I paid 10 x more for my weanling mini donkey jack than I did for our super bomb-proof mini mare who had been ridden informally by little kids and is now a therapy pony who does site visits. Right now, in my area, donkeys are more marketable than minis (even registered ones) and you can't throw a stone without hitting a mini or two sitting in someone's yard.
Your Greta is certainly lovely. Can you elaborate a little more about the cannon bone chip? Is it a free-floating chip in the joint, under a tendon, is it likely in a place where it will fuse or fester?
Thanks for your reply! I’m in central FL. Her cannon chip is on the front of her cannon bone just directly under the skin. Nowhere near a joint or any tendons. It’s never caused issues for her, super tiny little chip. :)

First of I love your mini… I kinda want her myself. ( unfortunately I can’t get her) she’s beautiful and seems like a great horse. I’m not that good at pricing. But if she also comes with all her gear I would say 3,500 to 4,500. That sounds like a good price to me!

First of I love your mini… I kinda want her myself. ( unfortunately I can’t get her) she’s beautiful and seems like a great horse. I’m not that good at pricing. But if she also comes with all her gear I would say 3,500 to 4,500. That sounds like a good price to me!
Thank your for your kind words and honest advice! 😁

It's all about how you market her and what you want for her future life. Once sold you have no control over her. We try our best to do good homes, but it sometimes fails.

The market in your area is important but not a main factor if your willing to ship her at buyers expense which is risky.

If you list her too high you will get no bites..then when you start dropping her they will think somethings wrong with her... too low you will be flooded with calls. Hard to find a happy medium.

If you are known trainer then she might go for the $5000 or more. "Bombproof" only if she's been driving for years in all kinds of places maybe. Even well known trainers don't guaranty that as they are still animals and can react without warning.

As far as showing.. yes she can because of her papers but it will be up to the buyer and since she has no show record it would probably only be a new person in showing wanting to try.

Look in your area.. look online...look at Facebook pages to see what you might value her at. Adding some tack such as blankets and so on is nice but most of the time it will be used on others. Cart and harness has value so minimum would be $3000 for it all just because of that.

This is just my thinking.. Good luck.

It's all about how you market her and what you want for her future life. Once sold you have no control over her. We try our best to do good homes, but it sometimes fails.

The market in your area is important but not a main factor if your willing to ship her at buyers expense which is risky.

If you list her too high you will get no bites..then when you start dropping her they will think somethings wrong with her... too low you will be flooded with calls. Hard to find a happy medium.

If you are known trainer then she might go for the $5000 or more. "Bombproof" only if she's been driving for years in all kinds of places maybe. Even well known trainers don't guaranty that as they are still animals and can react without warning.

As far as showing.. yes she can because of her papers but it will be up to the buyer and since she has no show record it would probably only be a new person in showing wanting to try.

Look in your area.. look online...look at Facebook pages to see what you might value her at. Adding some tack such as blankets and so on is nice but most of the time it will be used on others. Cart and harness has value so minimum would be $3000 for it all just because of that.

This is just my thinking.. Good luck.
Thank you for your advice! I will definitely consider this all. She definitely has lots of experience going places to drive and being in different situations. I have experience with selling dressage horses, but have never sold a mini so making this choice for her price is very difficult but it’s so crucial for it to be just right as you were saying. Again thank you for your advice! :)

(I hope I am okay to post this in Driving Miniature Horses)

Hi everyone!

I have a very nice mare I am considering selling. She has been trained to drive by me and has lots of potential. I will include some information about her below. I wanted to know what would be a fair price to sell her for, including her cart, harness, and all of her blankets, fly gear, etc?

(PS: I am not from the miniature horse community! I am from the dressage community, so I apologize if any of my mini terminology is incorrect.)

Encore Star Anise “Greta”

2017 29” American Miniature Horse mare

This little girl would make an excellent pony for for a young child or an adult just getting into driving or the miniature world. She is your bombproof, sure footed, relaxed type mare. Nothing phases her! She can ground tie, lunge, drive a cart exceptionally well, ground drive, and with more exposure she could even be a riding pony for a small child. (She has been ridden before by a very small child and did well, but hasn’t done it more than twice.) She has impressive ground manners and a clean bill of health other than a small chip in her cannon bone which has never caused any issues of any kind for her. She has very healthy strong feet, two stunning sky blue eyes, and a long gorgeous mane perfect for braiding. She is a very easy keeper as most miniatures are. Greta is being (maybe) being sold due to no fault of her own, she doesn’t get the attention she deserves at my barn and I feel she would be very well loved by a mini enthusiast or a kid. She is double registered with AMHR and AMHA and has extremely nice bloodlines.

Photos below showing her, as well as her sire and dam.

If more information is needed please don’t fret to ask! I really am unsure as to what I should ask for her and I don’t want to list her at an unfair price.
Hello, I am looking for a seasoned driving mini. Let me know if you are still interested in selling Greta. Thanks! 😊

Latest posts

Back