To Send to a Trainer or Not...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Standards Equine

Staff member
Reaction score
Due to some technical difficulties, I'm posting for our friend @1roadtoad:

I have had a trainer come to my barn an average of 3 times a month for the last 2 years to help me train my 2 minis. We started with the very basics, like manners, standing still for brushing, picking hooves, etc. These days, we mostly take them for walks in my neighborhood, and most recently, we have begun ground driving them. This is mostly due to the fact that, Pepper, my newest knows how to drive, so I wanted to teach the other one, Rocky as well and learn myself. ( I continue with the trainer because I am away for the equivalent of about 3-4 months from May until October and I don't want them to fall back into bad habits or forget what they have learned, perhaps this is unnecessary?). At this pace it will take me forever to learn to drive and my mini forever too. Today, the trainer suggested that I send my boys to her facility for a month so that they can be trained on a daily basis in an indoor ring. Pepper, who knows how to drive would go along to keep Rocky company and be "tuned-up" while there. Rocky, would be the main focus of the training because he is a newbie to driving. I would go to the trainer as well, to continue with lessons (I have taken 3 so far). Hopefully, at the end of the month, I would bring the boys home and we'll all have some of the basics we need to drive safely. Has anyone done this? Does this sound like a good idea? I like the idea of them being trained in a more consistent manner than I have been doing so far, but I don't like the idea of them going to another barn. I have no idea what their histories are or how long they were with previous owners. I feel like they have just settled in and I don't want them to think that they are moving again (anthropomorphizing :) Anyway, any one have any thoughts? Suggestions? Opinions? Thanks

Well, there are benefits to sending a horse to a trainer, especially in the winter. With that nice indoor arena. On the other hand, some horses don't settle in to new places well. Some don't care, but for others it's stressful, and can bring out bad behavior. If you don't want to send them away, a good trainer can give you homework for the week. You should have enough things to practice that you can move along fairly quickly, maybe you just need to ask?

I did send Goldie and Tiffany to an experienced trainer in Iowa, who trained equines for people who just wanted to drive and those who wanted to show.

It was one of the best investments I ever made. Our granddaughters showed both mares and I drove for fun. The granddaughters and the minis are actually the same ages now, 27 and 23. 😂

It was a wonderful experience for all of us including the minis.

I sent both Clementine and, years later, Perry to a trainer. There is a lot to be said for daily work with someone who has a lot of experience. The horses learn quickly and there is less chance of them forming bad habbits (at least my horses cause I'm not a trainer by any means). I had 90 days for Clementine and 60 for Perry and it was some of the best money I've spent on my minis.

I sent both Clementine and, years later, Perry to a trainer. There is a lot to be said for daily work with someone who has a lot of experience. The horses learn quickly and there is less chance of them forming bad habbits (at least my horses cause I'm not a trainer by any means). I had 90 days for Clementine and 60 for Perry and it was some of the best money I've spent on my minis.
May I ask, how long did you have your horses before you sent them away for training? My vet was a little concerned that sending my horses away for training might be a little unsettling for them both. Especially, Pepper who I have had for about 8 month. Both of my boys seem to just now be settling in.

I had my mini for 7 years before I sent him to a trainer for 90 days. It was a great investment. I had a similar schedule to yours, just wasn't able to work daily and it was my first training experience. My mini has a laid back personality and settled in just fine. I had the same concerns you did about the stress. He adapted just fine.

I had Goldie about 6 years and Tiffany 2 years. They did well and returned home in great shape mentally and physically.

Your minis will be able to learn at any age so there is no drawback to waiting until you feel the time is right!

I had Goldie about 6 years and Tiffany 2 years. They did well and returned home in great shape mentally and physically.

Your minis will be able to learn at any age so there is no drawback to waiting until you feel the time is right!
Thanks to all for your input about this topic. MaryFlora, thanks for suggesting that I don't have to decide immediately. I think I'll wait to see how the training (with the trainer, not me !) goes throughout the spring and summer. If no real progress has been made, perhaps, I'll send them to the trainer in the fall. Thanks to all again.

Latest posts

Back