Can we see pics of minis in training for driving?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And after that I introduced a kind of single travois, just for icon to feel a thing on his side "running with him"

It is a PVC tube, fixed on his surcingle with knot and trail, which can quickly be removed in case of panic.

Icon did it nice: no fear, no panic...just as he would have done this for years!

IMG_0853.JPG

Because icon was OK with one PVC tube on his side, I introduced my "do-it-yourself-travois"... still done with PVC tubes and tape

IMG_0872.JPG
IMG_0870.JPG

When we did all this for a while, we started with some weight to pull... a tire:

IMG_1014.JPG

IMG_1002.JPG

so far... that's where we are for the moment. Pulling a tire is not so easy than all the previous steps: with the long reins and the tire, Icon is not consistently strait on, started to turn to look what is behind him, put his legs over the traces... all without panic, but while I do not have more control about this situation, it is not possible to think about the cart.

I will continue the training with the tire, alternate with my handmade PVC travois, untill we both -Icon and me- are really confident with theese exercices, before thinking about hooking up. At this stage I would'nt feel safe to sit in a cart behind Icon, and even not just to let him pull a cart.

So we go on with patience and common sense... there is no hurry
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done, Hippocampe! He is doing great and so are you. I really like that you are in no hurry to reach your ultimate goal and will patiently wait until he is ready to move on. you will have a better, more reliable driving horse in the end. And I agree with Marsha, Icon is very pretty.

Thank you for my little Icon, he's really a friendly, volontary guy! Whatever I want to do with him, he has allways the same "Yessss, let's go!!"-attitude
default_wub.png

... and no, I'm not in a hurry for driving: I'm a bloody beginner an learner by doing, so I don't want to land in the brambles
default_wacko.png

Hippocampe, I needed this reminder to take my time with Tipsey. I'm getting impatient to get in the driving seat. I've begun long lining with her in the sulky. She's coming along very well, but I know in my heart she is not ready for me to get in the seat yet. 5 years ago I probably would have, but I will be 59 next month and don't bounce as well as I used to!

Golden Meadows Heirs Dream Girl after two months in cart training, made her show debut last Saturday. What a good girl she is. I still cannot believe it. She was considered untrainable last year after someone tried to break her. A soft touch and patience is all it took. She had a few spooks, but they were minor and she remained composed. Even when a full sized horse got loose from it's handler and ran around the arena during warm up. Wow!

IMG_9220.jpg

IMG_9219.jpg

IMG_9217.jpg

IMG_9207.jpg

Some video here-

[/media]

WHOO HOOO!!!! Not only did I get my 5 year old driving but I actually got pictures of his very first time in harness. I can't tell you how excited I was to finally after all these months of waiting for him to grow up physically and mentally, hitch this guy and drive. He has a lot to learn yet, has to graduate into a closed bridle etc., but I am more than pleased with his progress.
default_yes.gif
Please ignore the over weight driver with the terrible posture, didn't realize how bad it was until I saw the pictures ... yikes, I'm going to have to work on that.View attachment 10171View attachment 10172
Reignmaker, he's beautiful!! Really, really lovely.
default_wub.png

Here Icon's & my way to try learning to drive...Like Dolinger's Minis I havn't any experience with driving. I've been riding for long years, but never have been interested in driving. That changed with the minis.

I started "mixed ground traning" with the longe on a circle untill Icon became really good and reactive to my orders, some clicker trainig to learn new things or to accept uncomfortable things like the girth on a positive way and just have fun, etc... I had no driving projects at that time

DSC_0924.JPG

After this I started with the long reins... never done before, either Icon nor me. I have nobody to help me, at least nobody with competence. My teachers are books and patience... Possible that I don't do everything right, but I try to do it safe for the horse and me

DSC_6428.JPG

Icon is every time very clever, volontary to learn, well it's great to work with him... and so came the idea to go a little bit farther... the idea of driving.

I ordered different books about driving, a harness and a cart. I still have not received my cart, but I still have enough preparation-work to do with Icon, before we can even think about hooking up the cart. My training-plan is a mix of what is explained in my different books

Icon had to get accustomed and comfortable with his harness...

DSC_6992.JPG

...even in movement...

DSC_7009.JPG

IMG_1002.JPG

so far... that's where we are for the moment. Pulling a tire is not so easy than all the previous steps: with the long reins and the tire, Icon is not consistently strait on, started to turn to look what is behind him, put his legs over the traces... all without panic, but while I do not have more control about this situation, it is not possible to think about the cart.

I will continue the training with the tire, alternate with my handmade PVC travois, untill we both -Icon and me- are really confident with theese exercices, before thinking about hooking up. At this stage I would'nt feel safe to sit in a cart behind Icon, and even not just to let him pull a cart.

So we go on with patience and common sense... there is no hurry
default_yes.gif
I seriously love this horse AND the job you're doing with him. Clicker training is a great way to introduce driving training and the spirit of play tempered with common sense and respect for your individual horse's temperment and needs will get you very far. Good for you! The pictures are also wonderful quality and it looks like you got him a good harness too, although I'm glad to see you padded that saddle.
default_wink.png
Long-lining with a tire is actually much harder than anything else you'll do so if you can get that down, the cart should be easy. Try using some longer lines so you can stay back from the tire more and have him do figure eights without having to leap the drag yourself. (Been there. Dang near killed myself! LOL. At least the horse learned to stop and wait it out when his mother starts hopping about and cursing!)

My colt is finally solidly in cart and had his first couple of driving shows this summer, at which he handled the typical fifty new things in the first hour (horses driving around him, coming up behind him, having to stand in line in a big arena with others, switching equipment for Versatility, doing his first hunter rounds, etc.) with great aplomb and only a few small temper tantrums. I was glad our first class was a pairs turnout with Kody though as Turbo was rather freaked by having all those noises behind his blinders but he took his cue from his experienced buddy and did what I asked. By the time it was his turn by himself he was more excited by the other horses than scared of them and we just returned to basic exercises to refocus his attention after he was allowed to look a little. The only thing that really bothered him was being passed by his first "roarer" and I couldn't really blame him for breaking to a canter and trying to get away when that horse came flying up on his flank sounding like he was breathing fire. Poor Turbo! He settled quicker than I expected though and improved with every class. At home he's barely learned to hold a working trot but at the show he was managing actual lengthenings on demand! I'd prefer having the time to train them properly BEFORE the show (duh) but when it hasn't happened it's nice to know that they do get the idea from watching other horses. Nothing like the urge to keep up with the herd to get them going!
default_laugh.png

Here's a video still from one of his lengthenings.

304713_3126426098290_2013568321_n.jpg

I love how correctly he's moving for a green horse. The hind foot is landing before the opposite front hoof, the legs are perfect diagonal pairs, he's pushing off the rear...all he needs to do is flex at the poll a little more so he can come through the topline and it'd be perfect.
default_wub.png
He only held it for a minute but that will change with training! (I did fix the caveson strap, I was very annoyed to see it'd been riding forward like that. Ugly!)

Leia

Thank you for all the advices
default_yes.gif

Long-lining with a tire is actually much harder than anything else you'll do so if you can get that down, the cart should be easy
Oh that reassures me, because for the moment that's really difficult. I can long-lining him with the tire just for a few meters before I loose control, he starts to turn his hindquarters or to step over the traces.

For the moment most of the time, I walk next to him, with a lead-rope while he's pulling, so he can get the feeling or it... and at the end of the session, we do a few meters pulling with the long reins.

Try using some longer lines so you can stay back from the tire
My lines are long enough, look how they are rolled up my arm... I'm just still to awkward for using them in full length
default_oops.gif

I loose them, make knots, walk on them...I think I'll need much more training than Icon!
default_blush.png

At least the horse learned to stop and wait it out when his mother starts hopping about and cursing!)
default_biggrin.png
Oh, I'm sure that can also be very usefull in some situations...

it looks like you got him a good harness
it is the cariage harness from ozark with a V breastcollar http://minitack.com/mw135.htm

and: wow! your colt looks wery good on the photo! Nice long trot, and he doesn't look green... looks perfect for me!

Reignmaker, he's beautiful!! Really, really lovely.
default_wub.png

Thank you, he was purchased to be a breeding stallion and when we decided not to breed any more mares (and he was looking like he might go over .. he didn't but did make 34") he was set to be sold but I just could not part with him , so I gelded him and have never regretted that choice even one minute.

Here's a video still from one of his lengthenings.

304713_3126426098290_2013568321_n.jpg

I love how correctly he's moving for a green horse. The hind foot is landing before the opposite front hoof, the legs are perfect diagonal pairs, he's pushing off the rear...all he needs to do is flex at the poll a little more so he can come through the topline and it'd be perfect.
default_wub.png
He only held it for a minute but that will change with training! (I did fix the caveson strap, I was very annoyed to see it'd been riding forward like that. Ugly!)

Leia
WOW!! Leia, he is looking fantastic. You have every reason to be very proud of him and the work you've put into getting him to this point. Lovely!

Hello, adding to this thread...

Here we are on our second drive this new "season" (after the heat and flies are over).

http://youtu.be/vDeLothvn1w

On a scale of 1-10 (brand newbie - very experienced) I'm about a 2.5
default_smile.png
She has about 4 months total driving. I didn't drive her all summer, but hitched on Friday and today.

Just wondering if anyone could give me any times on how to improve. Or a couple of things we could work on.

I know her harness is barely big enough and plan to fix that britchen ASAP (meant to fix it over the winter but never got around to it).

Today was the first time we drove over the tarp obstacle at a walk and a trot. I also haven't done much backing up.

She is not very interested in walking, but as she isn't very fit, I thought she should walk for a few minutes before trotting. She would rather start trotting right off.

Thanks in advance for feedback.

Wilma

Back