Can we see pics of minis in training for driving?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great, will have a wander around your website with a coffee later
default_smile.png

Here is a link to some photos from a social drive I took my guy on at the start of this month - I long-reined and managed to keep up and get really fit in the process ;)

http://trhdc.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=13475942

I think it is obvious who I am, only one with a 34inch pony and on foot.

Btw....

I DROVE HERCULES TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so proud and happy that I could cry
default_biggrin.png
default_488.gif
No photos as my 2yo has put my phone somewhere 'safe' but my pony was seriously AMAZING. There was one moment when I said a silent prayer as an empty coal train came past where I was driving him and empty coal trains are the one thing that can stil; 'set him off' at times (the full ones or freight trains never do as they dont rattle/rumble like an empty coaltrain), he shied to his off side, felt the shafts, listened to the reins and my voice and then proceeded to just continue walking calmly.

So so so so very happy!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS, Jules and Hercules!!

This is indeed a momentous occasion, and one worthy of its own separate thread! I remember clearly the day we first hitched Mingus -- and the week that followed, when my feet never touched the ground...

Last edited by a moderator:

This is indeed a momentous occasion, and one worthy of its own separate thread! I remember clearly the day we first hitched Mingus -- and the week that followed, when my feet never touched the ground...
You two just started my grin anew! Thanks for finding it as exciting too. I just keep saying to my husband - 'I drove him, I really,really drove him'. He is at the 'yes dear' stage now. lol

I intend to drive him again today and have found my phone (yipeee) so will take photos for sure. I just need to go and get two new innertubes for my tyres that decided to go flat during the momentus occasion.

His first little hill (before flats
default_wink.png
) it took him all of about two secs to work out he really need to push into his breastcollar and as for pushing the shafts around, well, I think he really liked that as he likes to shoulder his way around the place and past the barriers into my husbands workshop as it is, actually being allowed to shove something around, well he was delighted!

His ears were pricked the whole time and he looked as happy as can be...much like his driver....okay enough excited rambling. pictures,I need pictures and then a thread
default_laugh.png

Update on Taz. He's been in training for five months and was named the AMHR Performance Horse Highpoint Champ Under last weekend at the ECMHC Summer Classic. Lots of videos under the Photos/video link. Driving video here-

[/media]

Thank you hobbyhorse23 :) I've also started my mare Lola back with cart training. This little girl did not have a good experience a little over a year ago when first tried. She flipped, ran off, kicked, got her legs over the shafts, would shake violently as soon as she saw the cart, bucked so hard she would pee and you couldn't hold her. I relied on someone else to help me start her & for this mare he was far too "cowboy" for her nature. I started over with her about a month ago, taking our sweet time. I will post photos soon of the various stages that I've taken with her, but here's the latest video taken Thursday night of her first time trotting. She's a totally relaxed and different girl now.

Golden Meadows Heirs Dream Girl....back in cart training after some bad experiences last year. Doing great!!!

IMG_8148.jpg

IMG_8422.jpg

IMG_8426.jpg

IMG_8435.jpg

IMG_8430.jpg

Stampede your girl looks great. I have been trying to convince someone that a horse who has a wreck in harness and is shook up by it (even badly)can still drive. After all, if we have a wreck with a saddle horse and it has a bad incident we don't give up trying to ride it, we back up, rehab and retrain. It isn't always a success but often it is, horses can get past some pretty bad things in the right hands. Good for you for not giving up on your girl.

I don't have any pictures yet but I have been working several horses this summer. I started my 34" gelding last year in ground driving and this spring I've gotten more serious about his training. Today I put the shaft thro the shaft loops for the first time and ground drove him while the cart followed him. He did amazing :D At one point something spooked him, a bird I think, and he actually shied in place just like I have been asking him to.
default_488.gif
Whoo hoo Cruiser, that's my boy
default_aktion033.gif

I also have begun ground driving my tiny 28.25" girl, she is doing pretty good. First horse I've ever had who took the bit like she'd always worn one and even knew how to eat grass with it in immediately (the little stinker)

The 3rd horse I'm working with at present is my SILs blue roan gelding who has been driven for about a month. He was doing well for her at first but suddenly decided he couldn't stand and would rear when asked to. He's here for some remedial work, to patch the holes in his training. So far I haven't hitched him again, we are working on 'whoa' 'stand' while ground driving. He's been with me for almost a week and I believe we are making progress. He's a very sensitive horse, cues must be quiet and matter of fact or he gets stressed. I now have a nice calm flat footed walk and(most of the time) he will stand alertly when asked to for about 30 seconds which is up from no time at all at first. He also has learned to walk off calmly when asked rather than jumping ahead at any word or movement from me whether it was a cue to walk on or not. He has a real desire to do the right thing but stresses when he is uncertain or confused. With consistency in his cues he will make a very responsive driving horse for her I think.

I've had Tipsey for about 4 months now. She is coming along pretty well with ground work. Today my sister came over and helped me introduce the sulky shafts to her. I expected the confinement of the shafts beside her would be a problem, but she did fine. She is wary of new things, but once she is introduced to them, she handles them well.

She is my first shetland and my first mare. I'm having fun with her, but sometimes have doubts I will ever be in a cart behind her. We are going slowly. She is 4 years old and was barely handled before I got her.

She saw the chiropractor last week and had a few issues.

A problem for me as trainer is being too soft. My strongest point is being able to take an unhandled horse and socialize him into a pleasant companion animal. However, I am seriously considering sending Tipsey to a professional trainer, as I am not sure I am capable of getting her rock-solid in the cart. But I'll give us a little longer together to see how we progress before deciding.

Another thing we did today was change bits. She was getting her tongue over the french link, so I tried the myler comfort bit. I think it is going to work much better for her.

Here is Tipsey ground driving.

www.cassphoto.com/tipsey7-10.jpg

I've had Tipsey for about 4 months now. She is coming along pretty well with ground work. Today my sister came over and helped me introduce the sulky shafts to her. I expected the confinement of the shafts beside her would be a problem, but she did fine. She is wary of new things, but once she is introduced to them, she handles them well.

She is my first shetland and my first mare. I'm having fun with her, but sometimes have doubts I will ever be in a cart behind her. We are going slowly. She is 4 years old and was barely handled before I got her.

A problem for me as trainer is being too soft. My strongest point is being able to take an unhandled horse and socialize him into a pleasant companion animal. However, I am seriously considering sending Tipsey to a professional trainer, as I am not sure I am capable of getting her rock-solid in the cart. But I'll give us a little longer together to see how we progress before deciding.

Another thing we did today was change bits. She was getting her tongue over the french link, so I tried the myler comfort bit. I think it is going to work much better for her.

Tipsey looks great. I have been thinking about a Shetland if/when I get another horse since I definitely want a horse that can pull two of us [Hubby is not a small man] in the cart. Of course, I would like to make sure I am doing really good with the horse I have before getting another one:)

Wow - she is looking awesome!

Chin up, lady! If you've only had her for 4 months AND she was previously unhandled - you are coming along great. If you still feel that you need a trainer because you are "green" - then go for it - because then when she comes home you can just get in the cart and start adding miles. But otherwise, she's coming along well and you know exactly what you've done with her and where the pair of you are at.

I've been away for a year and a half... Looooooooong story, surgeries, broken bones, very sick... but I'm back and I'm happy to report that while Dolly was sitting around in the pasture, she must have been thinking about all the fun stuff we were talking about doing while I was doing her ground work...

Finally able to limp around a bit with my daughter in town to help, we warmed Dolly up and by Sunday, she was ready to actually put to the cart.

first, we just lead her around

8026_10150965058921559_899771348_n.jpg

Then we tooled around the pasture

532638_4262790325220_177516619_n.jpg

Made some adjustments to the harness fittings and today we drove around our quiet little neighborhood while my daughter rode our big horse.

We aren't looking for fancy, just safe and fun and after the year I've had, finally getting in my cart was just amazing. We still have a ton to learn but at least we are making progress.

Now, I need to get a comfort fit breastcollar, some breaching, road wheels... and get ready for the trail!

WHOO HOOO!!!! Not only did I get my 5 year old driving but I actually got pictures of his very first time in harness. I can't tell you how excited I was to finally after all these months of waiting for him to grow up physically and mentally, hitch this guy and drive. He has a lot to learn yet, has to graduate into a closed bridle etc., but I am more than pleased with his progress.
default_yes.gif
Please ignore the over weight driver with the terrible posture, didn't realize how bad it was until I saw the pictures ... yikes, I'm going to have to work on that.P5260069.JPGP5260070.JPG

WHOO HOOO!!!! Not only did I get my 5 year old driving but I actually got pictures of his very first time in harness. I can't tell you how excited I was to finally after all these months of waiting for him to grow up physically and mentally, hitch this guy and drive. He has a lot to learn yet, has to graduate into a closed bridle etc., but I am more than pleased with his progress.
default_yes.gif
Please ignore the over weight driver with the terrible posture, didn't realize how bad it was until I saw the pictures ... yikes, I'm going to have to work on that.View attachment 10171View attachment 10172
Just reread what I wrote and hope no one thinks I just decided one day he was going to be a driving horse and harnessed him up and drove him... These pictures are the culmination of months - no actually years- of carefully work preparing him for the day he would be between the shafts. In my excitement I may have not made that very clear.
default_smile.png

Dolingers minis, if you have never driven before please find an instructor, someone who has experience driving and get some instruction before trying this on your own. It is a lot more difficult than it may appear to turn out a safe driving horse and when you haven't any background yourself it may be impossible. If you can, send one of your horses to a trainer with some knowledge (not everyone who claims to be a 'trainer' knows much so look for horses they've trained and see how they behave) In the meantime there are many good books out there that will help you learn a bit. Good luck, driving is a great deal of fun when you and your horse are safe and happy.

I haven't kept up on this thread - and we have two getting a little closer to actually hitching.

Flower spent about 60 days with a freind of mine (fellow pony driver - Vicki) and got all the way to pulling a drag. However, I wasn't happy with some of her responses, so when she came back home she went out in the pasture for more grow up time (the other day Vicki helped me measure a group of ponies for harness and Flower was one we did. She commented on how much she'd calmed down and matured and figured we may have her ready to hitch later this fall). Here is a pic of her with me ground driving last fall almost a year ago as a 2 yr old, you can see she's still gapping at the mouth when any pressure or general contact is applied to driving lines -

11oct12flo530.jpg

and here is a pic of her earlier this spring before I brought her home (6 miles from our homes) -

031812%2520057.JPG

We spend a lot of time with the driving lines not in the turrets but coming directly to our hands. This makes for easier circle or lounge driving - which I needed all last year and the first part of this year with my "good" knee having gotten wrenched and spending time in the knee brace. I just couldn't keep up with even the smallest mini shetland I own while straight line driving while I gimped thru the work out...LOL. I'm just now starting to ground drive my youngsters this year with them doing more straight line work with the lines thru the turrets.

Vicki asked if she could take on another for me - knowing that I was going to get Cassie going and wanted to see if I could have her ready to hitch and here Cassie is the 3rd time she was wearing blinders while in work harness. We are having problems with fitting this harness to her, so we are working with a couple of folk on that and have more adjusting to do. Also, I may have to get a custom made collar for her (found a couple of shops that do that - ouch - a little pricey!!) - but the 14" collars are too large and the 13"s are too small... She will be working, therefore Iwant her in a collar that fits... She is double registered AMHR/ASPC and her double reigstered 2011 filly will be showing at AMHR Nationals this year in the Futurity with Herron Stables for us.

12Jul25cas099.jpg

I really like having freinds whom I "swap out" ponies and horses with!! It gives them some time with another person in another setting. It sure has helped this past year with my bummed out knee. While I kept up with chores, that was about all I've managed to do other than some driving of my green pair and getting the 3 abreast hitch going. Neither Vicki nor I are professional trainers and when it's really hot or exceptionally cold, we both often "wimp out" - especially in the past year when both of us have had some physical/health problems we've dealt with... So it takes us longer to get our beasties going - but we do eventually get there and when we think they are ready - they usually are!

Thanks for letting me share.

I really like having freinds whom I "swap out" ponies and horses with!! It gives them some time with another person in another setting. It sure has helped this past year with my bummed out knee. While I kept up with chores, that was about all I've managed to do other than some driving of my green pair and getting the 3 abreast hitch going. Neither Vicki nor I are professional trainers and when it's really hot or exceptionally cold, we both often "wimp out" - especially in the past year when both of us have had some physical/health problems we've dealt with... So it takes us longer to get our beasties going - but we do eventually get there and when we think they are ready - they usually are!

Thanks for letting me share.
Wow, great pix. How fun to see the difference between the youngster and the more mature mare. She's a beauty.

I can really relate to working them with a bum knee. I have that along with a recently broken ankle to deal with. Mine sat for 18 months between ground driving and hitching - that 18 months did a great thing. It allowed my mare to digest everything and when we came back to it, she was ready as could be to get going.

I am finding that getting out on the road every other day is great. The alternate day is just brushing, smooching, eating cookies and mowing the lawn. Tough life.

Well done and lucky you for having a friend you can partner with!

Here Icon's & my way to try learning to drive...

Like Dolinger's Minis I havn't any experience with driving. I've been riding for long years, but never have been interested in driving. That changed with the minis.

I started "mixed ground traning" with the longe on a circle untill Icon became really good and reactive to my orders, some clicker trainig to learn new things or to accept uncomfortable things like the girth on a positive way and just have fun, etc... I had no driving projects at that time

DSC_0924.JPG

After this I started with the long reins... never done before, either Icon nor me. I have nobody to help me, at least nobody with competence. My teachers are books and patience... Possible that I don't do everything right, but I try to do it safe for the horse and me

DSC_6428.JPG

Icon is every time very clever, volontary to learn, well it's great to work with him... and so came the idea to go a little bit farther... the idea of driving.

I ordered different books about driving, a harness and a cart. I still have not received my cart, but I still have enough preparation-work to do with Icon, before we can even think about hooking up the cart. My training-plan is a mix of what is explained in my different books

Icon had to get accustomed and comfortable with his harness...

DSC_6992.JPG

...even in movement...

DSC_7009.JPG

Back